AR15 for Home Defense?

Don't ever let The Second Amendment become a discussion about need. It is not about need. It is about rights. I have the right to keep and bear arms, REGARDLESS of whether or not I NEED them. "Need" can fast become a slippery slope we fall off of.

Very well said!!!!

To answer the OP question, my first choice for HD are either my G19 or my G21. I keep my AR and Shotgun close, but I would grab my handguns first to get the kids and bring them to my room (and move around the house) while my wife calls 911. Then bunker down with the AR and shotgun.

Before kids we kept a Rossi circuit judge loaded on an empty cylinder. Now we keep a 9mm pistol that's 15+1 and it's loaded with plastic tipped ammo and it's kept up high and out of sight. A small rifle I think isn't a bad choice but it better be a pistol chambered one. Less recoil, less flash, general weigh less, and much less noise. With hunting rounds my .45 Colt rifle sounded just a little louder than a .22lr. Although stopping the threat is most important but over penetration is possible with any round. Hearing damage is too especially in a house, and for kids.

TTAG showed that any firearm with ammo designed for self defense is going to tear through interior walls. Some rounds will do it less than others, but they're all going to penetrate interior walls fairly easily. Ball ammo is going to penetrate the most, while hollow point and frangible rounds will break apart fastest, and hopefully stop before they go too far.

Maneuverability with a rifle will really depend on how the house is set up, and that's going to vary. I got taught to clear rooms with an M16A4, and while it's not the most comfortable, is doable. A 16" barreled AR-15 with a collapsed buttstock isn't difficult to use in most places, though still not as flexible as a pistol.

Noise and concussion are likely going to be bigger factors when considering a rifle for home defense. A centerfire firearm is going to suck indoors for your hearing, though you probably won't notice it immediately with adrenaline kicking in and auditory exclusion occurring. It's once the dust has settled that these things will come into play, since you're going to want to be able to hear where your wife and kids are, and be able to communicate. Pistol rounds are going to dull your hearing, while rifle rounds are probably going to leave you temporarily deaf. Fire enough rounds, and you're going to have very dulled hearing and a lot of tinnitus regardless of the caliber.

All that said, I'd rather lose some hearing than risk lose of life.

If you could use an SBR, then I pray you pay for a second tax stamp and put a suppressor on it. Shorter barrels have more concussion and flash, and while they're easier to use indoors, the after effects to you as the shooter are going to be worse as well. Even with a suppressed AR, the rounds are still going supersonic, and are going to cause some hearing loss and ringing in your ears. Still exponentially better than an unsuppressed AR, but don't think it's Hollywood quiet. Also, remember to take into consideration the added cost, length, and weight of a suppressor. Personally, I think it'd be worth it if I could afford it.

A few nice things about an AR for home defense is the added mag capacity, added lethality, and ability to mount a light and red dot. Makes shooting quickly and having fires dominance much easier. Downside is less maneuverability and increased noise/concussion.

Pistols can still have decent mag capacity, many models now have accessory rails, are very easy to maneuver with indoors, and have less noise/concussion. Downside is less ammo on hand, and pistol rounds are less effective (in general) than rifle rounds.

Figure out which is best for your situation based on how your home is set up, which you can use more easily and effectively, and what the most realistic scenario you'll have to deal with is. Then figure out an alternate plan if things get worse and you need to fall back on an alternate and tertiary plan.

First, our home was burglarized, with my wife, my three daughters, the house beagle and I all asleep on the 2nd floor. Burglars entered through a window off the back porch. This was about 6 or 7 years ago now and still disconcerting.

Protection? First, well lit exterior certainly helps, and I installed a number of motion activated lights.

Firearms? Always have had a .22 Beretta semi-auto pistol under the bed. After the burglary, I augmented that with a 9mm w/Streamlight on (strobe, flashlight & laser). My biggest change though, came at the suggestion of a police friend that said nothing freezes a perp quicker than the "racking" of a shotgun. And so, a Remington 870, with shortest barrel legal in PA is now th first weapon of choice. Several times though the past couple of years, I've investigated "noises" both inside and out, but have yet to "rack"/chamber a round. Oh, he also suggest 00 buckshot, which gives about 9 - .30 caliber pellets in a .12 ga.

With minors in the house, a long gun is not practical; it may also be illegal to have a firearm unsecured in the home. A pistol can be kept on your person 24/7, a rifle cannot.

I've fired rifles indoors, not a pleasent experience... Especially with anything shorter than optimum barrel length. But don't let that stop you from using it if needed.

I'm not going to address penetration on building materials. Most weapons do that.

There's shorter 12ga shells available with less charge that may help.

I know we want to default to pointing out that a pistol would be better, but I don't assume that everyone can own a pistol. Some people can maybe own a long gun.

Do what the Navy does.

Short Shotgun.

12 Gauge Short Magnums.

On a Ship #4 Buckshot. In a House TT Lead Shot.

Make an educated decision.

Your specifics and training level will suggest whether a pistol or long gun would be better suited for you. Does your situation favor a single-hand, smaller firearm, or a longer, more powerful one? How about your training? Are you very experienced at pistol or rifle shooting?

Next, pick the cartridge that works best for your situation. Generally, I'd recommend hollowpoints for pistols, and a JHP/JSP (bonded) for rifles. Your situation may dictate something different.

Determine your plan of action for likely scenarios.
TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN.

Sometimes it needs to be belt fed and have a grenade launcher. You can also have your Claymores in place.:)

After shooting my just finished AR 10.5" pistol build.... I'm thinking this AR in the home may actually be feasible. Quite accurate and easy to maneuver and shoot. Will be loud tho.

I think a rifle in addition to a pistol is a smart HD option, however, I don't think that the AR platform is a good choice. The AR's round is very loud inside the home and produces a huge flash at night. Further, the 55grn, .22 cal bullet going 3,000+fps isn't likely to stay within the confines of your home which introduces the very real possibility of accidentally hitting someone / something outside or in another home nearby.

While I have 3 ARs and a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 5.56, my HD choice for a 30rd capacity HD carbine is my M1 Carbine. It's produces considerably less report and lot less flash for you to deal with inside your home. Further, it's 110grn .30 cal bullet traveling at 2,000fps is significantly less likely to leave your building; especially if you use SP bullets. Also, because it's considerably more compact than the AR, it's usually much less intimidating and easier for the wife to handle as well.

For example, my 5' 0" wife will shoot my 7lb 0oz, 30rd, light equipped RRA AR Middy and do alright with it even though she's not fond of the thing. She complains that it's too bulky and unwieldy for her to get comfortable with. Our neighbor's 5' 10" wife also complains about the bulk of his AR carbine.

But give either of them my 6lb 9oz, 30rd, light equipped M1 Carbine and they are happy campers! Out at the range there is a fight for who gets to shoot my M1 Carbine and who gets stuck with the AR. I keep telling my neighbor that he needs to get an M1 Carbine for his wife so they both can shoot them together. That will save a bunch of time and aggravation at the range. :rolleyes:

After shooting my just finished AR 10.5" pistol build.... I'm thinking this AR in the home may actually be feasible. Quite accurate and easy to maneuver and shoot. Will be loud tho.

I'm sure the prosecutor and jury would fine that fully appropriate as well. :rolleyes:

People need to also consider the "what after" impacts of their decision as well.

Explain the difference please. People have used rifles and pistols for home defense for years. How would this make a defensive shooting any less justified?

A home built AR 15 pistol? I could see an entertaining speech by a prosecutor on that one. I'm not saying this as well as I'd like to express. I would not think it prudent to have anything that looks wonky or "enthusiastic" about the prospect of using it. Pistols with weird skullwork, Mossberg shotgun with Zombie on it, or an AR pistol comes to mind-especially if home built. I guess the best argument is "how would this play in an Austin courtroom to an Austin jury?"

My HD is nondescript-positively boring actually-with nondescript non-homeloaded speer gold dots because they have police specs (and therefore must be the most safe and accurate else police wouldn't use them ;) )

Your mileage may vary and thats fine, its just a point to think about.

Didn't the ATF just come out with something on AR 15 pistols?

I understand the zombie stuff,

I have regular pistol on me at all times anyway.

I was under the assumption that ar pistols are legal. I wouldn't use it

Just something recent that was brought up about AR pistols post "arm brace." I'm not an officianado on AR pistols-just a note for those with them to do a quick check.

I know we talk a lot about personal defense, home defense, and we talk about guns. But in my opinion, why limit yourself to defending yourself with a firearm only? This is life, not a rulebook. I'd prefer a loyal 100lb+ dog, a cellphone, and a handgun to an AR15 if I was thinking home defense. That's just me.

Me too, I advocate dogs anytime I'm asked.

I've come to realize that most young people can only afford one firearm. They may want it for fun or hunting. As a consequence many want to know the viability of using it for defense.

Some cannot own a pistol, or get a license for one. Or the cost of getting a permit is too expensive or daunting. But they may be able to own a rifle.

Back