AR15 for HD...what condition?

Do ARs have drop safeties? My understanding is that they do NOT. Meaning if a round is chambered, the trigger is forward, and you drop the gun in the right way, the firing pin can strike the primer and the gun can fire.

If that is the case, I would store it in #1. Agree that there will be time to chamber a round if you can get to an AR. My shotgun is stored the same way, full tube, empty chamber, safety off. A handgun is the only weapon I'd be comfortable storing with a loaded chamber, and only if it had a firing pin block (most do).

Edit:
I believe I was wrong and ARs do have drop safeties.

Last edited:
[iquote]As added food for thought, in the event of a fire, the rounds that are not chambered are not serious threats but a round that is chambered is a loaded gun in a ghost's hands. In a semi-auto this could result in a cook-off situation involving multiple random shots(in theory, not always the case). If you do keep a round loaded in a firearm that is not attended (put in a safe place but prepared for a defensive situation) be mindful of the muzzle direction and notify any emergency response personnel of this in the event of a fire.[/quote]

My last mission in Afghanistan included an MRAP being hit by an IED and catching fire. All of the guys crawled out (flipped over), and there weapons had to be left inside. Given the theatre, they were all condition one. The two LAWs going off was scary, the mk19 cooking off grenades was a bit more scary, but for me I was really worried about the m16's cooking off. And sure enough they did. Fortunately, by the time the helo landed most of them were cooked off, so after getting the guys to the CCP we just kind of took cover from our own weapons :eek:

Anyway, thats a bit out there compared to AR's in the home. It is still a threat, and muzzle orientation is important. If I kept my rifle condition one in the basement or first floor, I would make sure it's facing down. Opposite if it's located in the 2d story of the house. I also maintain this practice while carrying a loaded weapon in the house. What the probability of something happening is, I don't know. However, there is no such thing as being too safe. Personally, I keep my AR condition 3 (mag inserted, bolt forward, no round in the chamber.) while in the house.

My 15 is only half built, but my AR-180b might as well be the same gun for this discussion.

I keep it in my gun cabinet with a fully loaded 20rd Pmag, (Hard to shut door with a 30) bolt locked back safety off.

"Hot Stand-by"

Your condition 1 is what was taught to me and what I teach as "Hot Stand-by." This is how we carry our M4's when deployed in vehicles, etc... Other circumsatnces may dictate"locked and loaded." Hot stan-by is safest and most efficient for HD. I would never recommend a loaded chamber with the weapon on safe for fear of AD if dropped, bumped, etc... Just my two cents!

I live in the country & no kids With a dog that is pretty good early warning.So no# 2 works for me,with a Glock on the night stand the same way.

I BELIEVE (but I am not certain), that nearly all long guns lack a firing pin safety which pevents firing pin movement. This means that a dropped weapon can fire the round in the chamber, even if the trigger safety is on.

I know with certainty that this can happen with a mossberg pump shotgun, because in my foolish youth I dropped one while climbing a tree... shell in the chamber, safety on. After that I took more seriously the old NRA Hunters Safety rules "no round in the chamber while climbing or running".

This is why I do not keep any long gun in my house with a round in the chamber.

As far as I know, all modern handguns have a hammer/firing pin safety. Handguns can be safely carried with a round in the chamber.

You would be better served to use "rifle conditions" to ask the question:

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the safety is on.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a full magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

I keep my HD rifles inside in condition 4. I also keep a couple of steel mags loaded with 60gr TAP at the ready attached to the outside of my rifle locker.

Referring to your conditions where are you getting this from? I always go with Jeff Coopers.

Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.

That being said. I am always condition one with my carry 1911 and my HD shotgun. For you though it depends. If your AR is the only gun you have for HD then I really hope you have it in condition 1 (like stated above). If you have a pistol or shotgun ready then I could understand not having it in condition one.

Last edited:
fully loaded 30+1 in chamber, short barrel and a reeeeally bright flashlight on it and you're good to go. "condition 1"

#1 for me also. Since the rifle is not in the open and I have to retrieve it from its concealed location in my home, I have time to chamber a round as I retreive it.

Pistols are always chambered ala "cocked and locked". As they say, you fight your way to your rifle with your pistol...

I only have my AR out for home defense if there's a hurricane happening, or some kind of nut bag on the loose. When I do it's chambered and ready to go man. No other way. No kids in the home either by the way

Short answer: Option 1 (with safety on)...

Long answer: As a practical concern, the overriding consideration when keeping a weapon for home defense is protecting it from misuse. YMMV, but in my life I am far more likely to have someone accidentally discover my weapon than need to use it...just sayin'. You are generally criminally negligent if your home defense weapon is accessed by a child, for example.

Tactically, how the weapon is stored doesn't make much difference. The main thing is that you do it the same way every time so that when you wake up in the middle of the night, freaking out because someone is trying to kill you, you are not fumbling in the dark for your weapon.

Some good points were brought up, however. I had never considered the cook-off factor in the event of a house fire, and that seems valid. Also, ARs don't have a positive firing pin disconnect, so in theory it seems that empty chamber is safer, though practically, it is extremely unlikely that an AR will fire unless the trigger is pulled.

There is an issue with ARs, in that to load an empty chamber, generally you release the bolt to slam a round into the chamber, which makes quite a bit of noise. One technique is quietly ride the bolt forward with the charging handle, pushing the forward assist with the firing hand's thumb to ensure it locks in battery.

My $.02 worth, then, is a HD AR should be in a quick-release locking device, mag in, bolt forward, empty chamber, safety on. Practice deploying from the device in the dark, charging chamber and switching safety to fire as you do so.

Last edited:
Proper condition codes for the AR-15, aka M4/M16 service rifle.
Military firearms instruction.

Condition 1: Magazine inserted, Round in the chamber, Bolt forward, Safety on.

Condition 2: Does not apply to this weapon.

Condition 3:Magazine inserted, NO round in the chamber, Bolt forward, Safety on.

Condition 4: NO magazine inserted, NO round in the chamber, Bolt forward, Safety on.

Clear and Safe: NO magazine inserted, NO round in the chamber, Bolt Locked to the Rear, Safety on.

Back