AR-15 Single Shot Lower For Hunting in Pennsylvania

Shooter2675

I want to be able to use my AR-15 for hunting in PA, but since we have the restrictive gun law making it illegal to hunt fame with a semi auto rifle in PA, I can't use my AR-15. Could I build a single shot lower (with no magazine well) and then put my standard upper on it and use it to hunt?

John

Yeah I know I just would like to use an AR-15 to hunt with. I have several shotguns and hunting bolt guns, but I just thought it would be neat to use an AR-15.

Do you know what the law says about my idea?

John

You can make an AR a manual operation by simply pulling the gas block and tube and replacing the gas block with the port mis-aligned. If questioned, demonstrate it IS NOT a semi-auto.

Could get a piston upper and turn the gas system off when you want to use it in Straight Pull Mode.

I doubt that a system that's "changeable in the field" would pass inspection. With the gas port blocked and the gas tube missing, there's no question.

A bunny cop checked me one time for a shotgun plug. He shook the empty pump gun and commented "No plug" since many/most wooden plugs clunk in the tube. I told him it was plugged so he wanted the barrel pulled-no plug fell out or was visible. Aha, he's going to write me a ticket. I bet him $100 he could only put 2 shells in the mag so he tried--no go. That gun had a custom made tubular plug fitted to the inside of the magazine tube. Regulations did not specify what TYPE of plug, just that no more than 2 shells could be in the mag.

Ok all the ides sound good but a piston upper is pricey and so is the bolt action upper. I can build a single shot lower around $350. My only question is, if I kept the gas tube on, it would cycle the bolt but no other round could be loaded, but maybe if I removed the gas tube it would fix that problem. It wouldn't even cycle. I think I could easily prove to a game warden that it's single shot: you can even put a magazine in. Here is the lower I was looking at: http://www.tactilite.com/product-p/mp-rec-br15b.htm

John

I would think that if it is able to cycle the action upon firing regardless of whether or not it picks up another round it would still be semi-auto and thus illegal. If it is done in such a way as to disable the action (i.e. remove the gas tube etc.) that cannot be quickly changed back in the field then it would be illegal. Almost assuredly if a warden or agent saw you, you would have to explain etc. and might even receive a ticken anyway and have to go to court all for the "fun" of being able to use your AR to hunt with. A bolt action upper would be a better option.

Drill a hole through the mag well. Run a bolt through the holes. Zap the end of the bolt with an arc welder. Et voila: Single shot. If you change your mind, just grind off the bolt head.

the action must be hand operated, if upon firing any thing moves it will be frowned upon. i have seen U.S. m-1 carbines made into pump and straight pull rifles and ak-47,s made into hand operated rifles. years ago there was a case involving a winchester model 55 semi auto single shot .22 rifle hunting small game and the hunter was found guilty. eastbank

The law is somewhat vague, but if I remember correctly, it states "Permanently altered". eastbank is correct. The law can be viewed by the Warden and Judge as they see fit. It is really not worth the hassle. Hunt out of state.

Just found this thread. What cartridge is your AR chamber in? In addition to no semi auto I am pretty sure that you also cannot use any 22 cal projectile. Other than that just remove the gas block and put in a blank block. You then have a straight pull bolt gun with a cumbersome bolt handle.

There is no caliber restriction for rifle hunting deer in PA, as long as it is centerfire. I have used various .22 centerfires for years. Remember one guy that used a .17 Remington.

I don't suppose removing the gas tube would classify it as a hand loading rifle, would it? Would be just as slow as a bolt action and could be done in a few minutes. Just a thought.

Seems to me that this idea is an invitation to a hassle. While it might be technically correct, a game warden might disagree. That can mean an argument with the local Justice of the Peace. That strikes me as a waste of time.

Since there are so many other gun-options available, I myself wouldn't bother.

Been hunting in PA over 60 consecrutive seasons. Started with a single shot H&R 22 Hornet. ( convertible barrel other being a 12 guage ) Earlier post is correct.....must be centerfire. As far as the "singularized" AR 15, if a warden sees you with it, in my experience you damn well better be prepared for a hassle. I got stopped one day in the second season while grouse hunting because my hat "wasn't orange enough"!!!!:eek:

I forget who makes them, but I have seen AR lowers that are solid and will not take a magazine. If I remember correctly, they were built for the 50 BMG bolt action uppers to go on.

Back