AR-15 action - what were they on?

Its interesting if you think about it, all of the assault weapons that have been designed since the AR have used some type of op rod, I can't think of anybody else you has the gas blow back right into the bolt carrier, maybe I'm forgetting one, but I can't think of it.

FNC, AR-70, Sig 550, K2, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I still like my AR a lot, but there has to be a reason that since then every designer on Earth has done it different. Heck, even Taiwan's version of the M16 uses an operating rod.

Hi, guys,

I await the flames, but I have never liked the AR-15/M16 design. There is no good reason to vent the gas through the bolt carrier. I told Gene Stoner this years ago and he answered simply "Who has desinged more riflem, you or me?" I did not have a good answer, but I still don't like the design.

Yes, it works. Yes, the U.S. adopted it (under a lot of political pressure). Yes, the rifle as currently made is reliable and accurate. Yes, it is an adequate anti-personnel weapon. Yes, it is light and handy, and controllable in FA fire.

Still, I much prefer the AR-18/180, which is not a Stoner design. It is simpler, cleaner, neater and more reliable under adverse conditions. It needs only a better stock attachment and a means of keeping the recoil spring/bolt assembly captive, like the M3 SMG. It is also cheaper to make and requires less sophisticated manufacturing equipment.

Jim

I am not a fan of the M16 action. It has too many parts, it fouls itself, it IS harder to clean than most others. Keeping track of all those little parts in the field is nerve racking. Worst of all, if for some reason, the bolt doesn't go into battery all the way, the rear of the carrier protrudes into the buffer tube, preventing the upper and lower from seperating. If this happens in a fire fight you simply die. If all those lugs get enugh dirt or mud in them, this can easily happen.
Yes, the 16 is light and accurate. But MOA accuracy isn't the primary concern of an infantrymen. That's what Scout\Snipers are for. An infantry weapon needs to be flawlessly reliable. All other aspects come second. The 16 is not the most reliable rifle out there.
The 16 is a joy to shoot, easy to handle and very precice. I believe it is a good police weapon, but an inferior infantry weapon.
I very much prefer the FAL and AK actions over the 16 for military use.

Well, since the majority seem to be down on the AR as a battle rifle because of the gas system, then I'll have to go with the HK, since it doesn't have any at all
tongue.gif

I think the HK G36/SL8-1 system is the easiest gas operated system to clean.

I also like the way it shoots little groups all day long.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.

Back