appendix carry

bamaranger

It seems that ACIWB is the real fad in concealment these days. For those that practice this, I would like to hear some details. Curious if you have switched from another position, how long a time period do you carry on average, type of handgun, and what ever else bears on your decision for this carry method. Similarly, if you are greatly opposed to appendix carry, lets hear from you as well.

Old school 'till the end, I'm a 4'oclock guy, IWB or OWB depending on season and don't foresee changing. I'm to dang fat and the full size guns I carry only add to the problem. I can't get past a firearm pointed at my vital parts either, and 4-5 inch barrels get in places I don't want them.

100%. I am sure it works well for people.

I see people doing it and from the outside view and not being them, I've never once thought anything other than "you're trying to make that not look you're just accepting the most uncomfortable feeling ever--short of actual physical harm."

People are free to disbelieve me, but I actually don’t find appendix carry uncomfortable. It is, imo, more dependent on a good holster than other carry positions. I find JM Custom Kydex and Tenicor holsters work well for me. Many appendix carry holsters have a bulge or pad on the holster between the user and the pistol. This bulge/pad has a number of benefits, including lifting the muzzle away from pointing at the body (to an extent), pushing the grip more into the body to aid in concealment, and helping with the muzzle end digging into your body.

I find I can carry a larger pistol with less printing in an appendix position than I can at say 3-4 o’clock (some call it “strong side”) on the body. In addition, I find there is generally less printing when moving around with an appendix carry holster. This is not me saying a holster at 3-4 o’clock can’t be concealed as I did that for years. But I do find that relative to strong side carry, appendix carry is generally more concealable and given the starting position of your hands can also be faster. It can also make getting to the pistol easier/faster when seated in a car, though be mindful of clearing the steering wheel on the draw.

All of this is offset by the fact that yes, appendix carry can often result in a pistol pointed at a part of your body, and a part of your body that could lead to a lot of blood loss. Holstering deliberately and carefully is critical with appendix carry, as is making sure to clear your holster of any obstructions and preventing clothing from getting into the trigger guard when reholstering. When I carry appendix I do “feel better” if the pistol I am using has a manual safety or a DA first pull and an exposed hammer on which I can place my thumb when holstering the pistol. This can help mitigate those risks.

I have been taking training courses for over a decade now and appendix carry is interesting to me in that if you were to show up at a class appendix carrying when I first started taking training courses many would have been in disbelief. When I take courses these days appendix carry is often the most popular form of concealed carry.

more

To add to the discussion, one thing that I believe has contributed to the increased use is the popularity of the downsized hi-cap 9mm pistols. I'm not knowledgeable enough on the various models to list all examples, but something like the Hellcat or the G43 would (I think) be examples of what I am trying to describe.
Interestingly too, I see that IDPA has now allowed appendix carry, though I cannot say if both IWB and OWB......someone will advise. That is a big step since previously I have seen shooters DQ'd for canting the handgun inboard when reholstering from 4'0clock. Fella took it pretty well, but reholstering AC I think you'd index yourself every instance........the times they are a changin'.
No doubt appendix is faster given equal practice. It is simply a shorter distance from the holster to on target.
I wonder about security in a frontal grappling situation? No, we don't want to get there, but stuff happens.

I appendix carry pistols the same size as I carried strong side, but smaller pistols in appendix really disappear.

To help with flagging yourself while holstering appendix, lean back as you holster.

Last edited:
All of this is offset by the fact that yes, appendix carry can often result in a pistol pointed at a part of your body, and a part of your body that could lead to a lot of blood loss. Holstering deliberately and carefully is critical with appendix carry, as is making sure to clear your holster of any obstructions and preventing clothing from getting into the trigger guard when reholstering. When I carry appendix I do “feel better” if the pistol I am using has a manual safety or a DA first pull and an exposed hammer on which I can place my thumb when holstering the pistol. This can help mitigate those risks.
My preferred safest AIWB carry combo is a DA/SA pistol carried decocked in a Blackhawk TecGrip IWB holster.

No clips and no special heavy duty belt is required. Because of the TecGrip material, the holster stays exactly where I put it while wearing it and while drawing from it. It can also be canted however I like.

With a DA/SA pistol carried decocked a negligent discharge is virtually impossible while holstered. So the nads are safe.

Reholstering is safe too because I first remove the holster from its AIWB location then insert the decocked pistol into the holster while being pointed in a safe direction and finally return the holstered pistol to its AIWB location.

The TecGrip is inexpensive and I can use the size 07 TecGrip with either my Beretta Cougar or my Springfield XDe 3.3.

One guys view --

Folks who come to appendix carry from pure civilian side of things -- ouch this takes some getting used to or nope I will go to something else.

Former military / LE who are used to giant piles of crap on their body poking and abrading tender spots -- cool this works well keeps my side clear.

Former military / LE who are used to giant piles of crap on their body poking and abrading tender spots -- cool this works well keeps my side clear.

LOL… i never thought about that aspect. I carried my duty pistol at 3:00 based on dept policy and later as a govt contractor due to armor plates obstructing a draw from AIWB.

Now that i can carry what i want, how i want…AIWB is what i find MOST comfortable. No hard holster pushing against a hard hip. I carry just forward of the pelvic bone protrusion. The gun just settles into the soft area there.

It doesnt impede on me sitting or movement at all and conceals well. A 4” dbl stack 9mm 1911 is there 99% of the time. Even if im just wearing a slightly loose t-shirt. Good belt, good holster and it doesnt print and i have a gun i shoot well that has a good round count onboard.
Works for me

It seems that ACIWB is the real fad in concealment these days. For those that practice this, I would like to hear some details. Curious if you have switched from another position,

IWB and pocket carry.

how long a time period do you carry on average

all day, every day, unless I'm in some place that has the proper state required gunbuster sign

type of handgun

2" or 3" small frame Taurus, specifically steel frame 856s.

Not at this point comfortable with carrying anything other than a revolver AIWB.

, and what ever else bears on your decision for this carry method. Similarly, if you are greatly opposed to appendix carry, lets hear from you as well.

Old school 'till the end, I'm a 4'oclock guy, IWB or OWB depending on season and don't foresee changing. I'm too dang fat and the full size guns I carry only add to the problem.

I am also an Adipose-American. My snub conceals pretty well with the gut.

I can't get past a firearm pointed at my vital parts either, and 4-5 inch barrels get in places I don't want them.

Another thought. I betting most practitioners of AC are under the age of say........40-45? Less gut or more open minded, or both?

I don't even know where my appendix is ... help an old guy ...
if my willy wonka is 12 o'clock ...
and my right arm is 3 o'clock ...
and my behind is 6 o'clock ...
just where is my appendix ?
Gary

I carry either a 3.5” 1911, or 3” SP101, rotating between SOB and appendix, mainly due to clothing worn. I’m 5’8”, 140 lbs, and with a smaller stature, am limited to certain carry positions, or the printing gets pretty bad.

I don’t find appendix to be uncomfortable in normal conditions, but it does rub and bump on things a bit more often than SOB.

Only thing I found awkward with appendix carry, was getting used to my pistol pointing at my junk.

There probably is no conceal carry area on the body with more purpose to bend than your waist at the front.

7 inch long flat gun at the only bend direction at that point?

Agreed with above. You have to already have carried more objects than most or be so committed to that carry that nothing else matters.

SmartCarry is the same area, but atleast it drops enough to let you bend.

I think there is a level of feeling required maybe machoism to a smaller group, cause your brain will never stop noticing apendix.

Also...i think it is one of the most printing ccw. I dont get where some believe it is the least.

There probably is no conceal carry area on the body with more purpose to bend than your waist at the front.

7 inch long flat gun at the only bend direction at that point?

Agreed with above. You have to already have carried more objects than most or be so committed to that carry that nothing else matters.

SmartCarry is the same area, but atleast it drops enough to let you bend.

I think there is a level of feeling required maybe machoism to a smaller group, cause your brain will never stop noticing apendix.

Also...i think it is one of the most printing ccw. I dont get where some believe it is the least.

I bend at the knees. I have been bending at the knees since I first started carrying because of how much it prints when you bend at the waist carrying at the 4 o’clock position. It’s not like I am somehow unable to pick up and carry things just because I am carrying appendix. I pick up and carry things all the time around the house and when I am picking up after my dog on walks. I never had a career where I was wearing armor or wearing a duty belt daily and I was able to get used to it pretty quickly, and as best as I can tell I’m not the only one.

As for the most printing, my experience is the exact opposite. I’ve compared it back and forth to 4 o’clock in the mirror and asked family members who didn’t know I was carrying until I asked them. I admittedly am thinner, though not as thin as I would like, and I find thinner people tend to have trouble with printing in other locations (like mentioned above). Especially moving around, reaching up or down for objects, for me it prints less.

I have been trying this method recently. I have lost a lot of weight, and my britches are much looser than before. I find that a kydex holster and my little Glock 43X is quite comfortable.

I have appendix carried for years. Usually an Sig P239 DAK trigger. Or, a revolver.

I am slowly accepting that an Sig P365 with a manual safety is acceptable to carry appendix. And, not shoot myself. But, that’s about my limit. DA or, manual safety. I’m 64. 6’. About 172.

I carried a full duty belt for close to 40 years. It seems once I retired, my body said “I thought we were through with carrying heavy stuff on our hips, here’s a little lower back and hip pain to remind you.” It seems centered, in front, doesn’t cause issue.

Any truly concealable holster, carried on the hip, has to ride fairly high. My shoulders don’t like rising up that high anymore.

I can draw from appendix with either hand. With my left hand, the guns upside down and, I can pull the trigger with my pinky. Optimal, no. Does it get a shot off at zero distance. Yes.

Seated in a car, if you are carrying on your right hip, and someone it forcing their way in your vehicle, you, pushing away from them, will drive your gun into the console. Greatly slowing your draw.

If there’s a threat behind you, you can get your hand on the gun without the obvious shoulder raise of a hip draw. From in front, I can go under my shirt, have a full firing grip, and stay concealed. Same if seated at a restaurant. The table will completely conceal the draw. Unlike the exaggerated right hand sweeping back, shoulder raising from a conventional 3:00 draw.

Appendix is just more natural for me now. I always stand at a slight angle to people anyway. Force of habit. Appendix is almost a straight up, raise and shoot. Stupid fast, for me.

No printing when you bend over at the grocery store.

I can just kind of rock my hips back and lean forward to hug, they don’t feel the gun. Unlike if they wrap an arm around your waist while hugging you.

If, knocked down, with an attacker on top, getting to a gun, while it’s driven into the pavement, is tricky. From appendix, I can likely snake my hand between us.

That. And there’s the cool factor.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fXv8IepBVJQ&pp=ygUWamltIHp1YmllbmEgbWlhbWkgdmljZQ==

I am with you. I would carry my P30SK or my CZ-P-01 Appendix (both with De-cocker) but I would never carry a Firearm with stored energy like a striker fired gun appendix. I know it is done everyday, but no way would I do it. Also When I try to carry appendix the gun digs into my gut when I try to sit. I can't seem to find a comfortable way of doing it.

Back