appendix carry, when and with what?

JERRYS.

for a lot of folks ccw is with OWB or IWB rigs. the two alternatives because of convenience and mode of dress are pocket and appendix carry, the latter allowing more gun to be carried.

when do you use such method as you primary means of ccw, and what do you carry in this fashion?

for some folks appendix carry is only for yard work or checking the mail and only with a d/a revolver.... but who uses this method regularly during day to day chores and errands? post pix of you ccw this way if you aren't shy.

I carry AIWB all day, every day. G-19 in a G-code incog holster. Very fast to present from. Easy to retain. Conceals better then on my hip. Doesnt telegraph the draw stroke as bad as strong side hip. The softer abdomen allows more give then the hip, thus mkre comfort. I can have my hand on the gun without looking like ive got my hand on a gun, should the situation warrant it.

With a PROPER holster AND draw/reholstering techniques its as safe as anything else. With poor techniques its a disaster waiting to happen. My thoughts are AIWB is a method of carry for the person willing to spend the time and energy to become TRULY proficient at the unconscious level. Not for the once a year CCW shooter.

Edited to add body size: im 5'9" and 175/180. Fairly fit, chest is bigger then waist. So that aids concealment

Last edited:
I tried appendix carry several years ago when I weighed 250+ lbs. Even with the smallest .22 revolver I own, the experience was miserable when standing and impossible when driving.

I’m down to 165-170 and I carry a Glock 34 appendix carry in a poorly adapted IWB holster. The 34 rests easy all day, easily accessible, even on a 300 mile trip. It hides fairly well under my T-shirt. No more fumbling or leaving the Glock in the car at pit stops.

For me, it works much better than a good IWB holster at 3 or 4 o’clock. YMMV. Obviously, AIWB would not be my choice when I wear a suit, tucked in shirt, etc.

I wear AIWB all day every day. I have a very active job and have gotten to the point where I don't know its there. Folks don't know I have it unless I tell them then are surprised they didn't know. I am 6'2" 215 lbs and find it very comfortable, easy and quick to draw and even more so when seated, especially driving. It puts the weapon at an easier to get at position. If there is a threat at your drivers side door you would have to lean towards it with strong side 3-4:00 position. With AIWB it is a shorter distance to gun on target as well as not having to get closer to the threat to have access to the weapon.

I appendix carry everyday. To me it's the most comfortable and concealable way to carry. Also gives you great access to your firearm. Remora holster is a great comfortable low profile holster to AIWB

The only way I carry IWB is in the appendix position. I appendix carry a Glock 21 without issue. I won't even say you need to practice extra and be proficient and exercise extreme caution when carrying this way. Personally, you should be at awareness level 10 anytime you are handling a loaded firearm, regardless of where your holster is located. Good kydex holster and trigger discipline will negate the chances of a ND.

Here are my opinions on appendix carry and why I use it...
1. Comfort for me is far superior than anywhere else.
2. Concealability is better than any other position.
3. Draw is faster/easier, especially when seated.
4. Firearm can be accessed with support hand if necessary.
5. Weapons retention is easier when it is in front of you.
6. Firearm can be accessed while on your back/backed into a wall.

Here are some pics for you. This is a Glock 21 AIWB. I am 5'7" roughly 180 lbs. currently.

appendix-carry-1.jpg

appendix-carry-2.jpg

appendix-carry-3.jpg

appendix-carry-4.jpg

I get being careful and having a good holster that covers the trigger and all that. My main concern about appendix carry is this... Where is the muzzle pointing when you are seated? It just seems like you are constantly violating one of the basic tenets of firearm handling.

It just seems like you are constantly violating one of the basic tenets of firearm handling.

The rule of not pointing the muzzle and anything yu don't want to destroy holds if the gun is in your hand. It doesn't count, unless you are holding the gun.

I know this as I was once somewhat lambasted for saying that standing behind a guy with a revolver in horizontal shoulder rig (ie I could see the bullet at the ned of the snub's barrel) made me feel uncomfortable...

So, provided the trigger is covered, AIWB should be fine.

Where the muzzle of your gun is pointed while seated just depends on

1. The barrel length of the gun. This changes where the barrel hits your leg and which way it is directed.
2. Exactly which position you carry at 12:00, 1:00, 2:00

Modern day firearms don't just discharge while sitting in a holster. It's always interesting when I hear people talk about appendix carry. Most "gun people" will refer to a gun as an inanimate object that won't just walk off and shoot someone, or just shoot off a round while sitting loaded in your safe. So why is it that when we talk about appendix carry all of the sudden the gun is going to come to life while in your holster when you are driving in your car and shoot you in the femoral artery? I never really get this and most people can't seem to answer it for me.

It may have happened at some time but I have never heard a case where someone with a loaded, STOCK firearm has had it discharge while sitting in a holster. If I am wrong than someone please correct me. NDs generally happen while drawing and holstering. Practice and trigger discipline should negate the probability of this happening.

Lastly, one thing I see some instructors teach that I feel is absolutely wrong is holstering your weapon while still scanning for threats. If there is any doubt in your mind that a threat may still be present, why the hell would you even consider putting your firearm away? Keep your finger off the trigger during your draw stroke and watch your firearm back into the holster.

Eventually you need to put your firearm away, no one knows that you are not a bad guy.... You are now the stranger holding a gun if anyone new walks into the scene
You may be the perceived threat

I understand at some point the firearm needs to be reholstered but that can be safely achieved by simply watching your gun go back into the holster. Making sure there is nothing to get caught in your trigger guard and that your finger is indeed off the trigger.

Speed is of the essence during firearms presentation, not during reholstering.

Revoconcepts, I really don't call what you do "appendix carry". I'm not saying it's not a good carry position, just that it isn't appendix carry. You are carrying mostly in front of your belly at about the 1 oclock position (maybe even a little left of 1 oclock). True appendix carry is more to the side at about the 2 oclock position. But then again, I think it is really hard to carry a full-sized pistol like you do at the 2 oclock position. The barrel tends to get in the way when you sit down.

Doyle. I agree with you. I carry between 12:00 and 1:00 because that allows for the largest firearm to be carried and is the most comfortable. I generalize appendix carry as anything between 12:00 and 2:00 or 10:00 and 12:00 depending on RH or LH shooters. Seems most people refer to anything in front of the hip as appendix carry.

You guys who appendix carry have more guts than I do. I'm careful and all, but I just don't want a loaded firearm aimed at my junk.

For the position of the internal organs challenged: The appendix is on the right of the body's center line. The picture shown is not an "appendix carry", it is the family jewels carry.
I cannot help but to think the poster was joking.

The rule of not pointing the muzzle and anything yu don't want to destroy holds if the gun is in your hand. It doesn't count, unless you are holding the gun.
I do not agree considering that when drawing the gun a horizontal shoulder holster is still point a gun at something that you do not want to destroy, and in those "tucked inside the waistband" systems, the trigger finger, although protocol is that the trigger finger stays outside of the trigger guard, in practice I do not have much faith in the average shooter that it will.

I do not agree considering that when drawing the gun a horizontal shoulder holster is still point a gun at something that you do not want to destroy,

Perhaps you don't but most here seemed to think I was being paranoid for feeling uncomfortable about standing behind someone in a queue who had a loaded .357 snub barrel pointing at me from a holster. The rationale was that it was in a holster and therefore not a danger.

Drawing a gun from anywhere introduces the risk of sweeping.

No I was not joking with my pictures. The OP asked to know who carried appendix, when they carried that way, and what they carried. Most people consider appendix carry anything in front of the hip, not exactly at 1:30 or 2:00. A google image search will reveal tons of pictures of people wearing anywhere between 12:00 and 2:00. Carrying a full size Glock 21 requires the gun to ride closer to centerline as the grip is long and will print if worn right at 2:00. So I offered up some pictures of the way and position I carry in, and not jokingly. This is what is comfortable to me, and the position I train from. Definitely not for everyone.

Perhaps you don't but most here seemed to think I was being paranoid for feeling uncomfortable about standing behind someone in a queue who had a loaded .357 snub barrel pointing at me from a holster. The rationale was that it was in a holster and therefore not a danger.
A person who appendix carries only has his gun pointed at his own body parts. However, standing being someone who is using a horizontal shoulder holster would make me uncomfortable, especially if it held an auto. I consider that he may not be able to leave it alone, touch it to make sure it is secure, make sure the safety is still on, fondle it for what ever reason. For every responsible gun carrier out there, there must be at least five mall ninjas and negligent discharges (notice I did not say "accidental"), are an all too frequent occurrence.

Back