Apparently we can't even arm police in schools...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody said a ND in a school as okay in any situation. I don't put words in other people's mouths. All I'm saying is that accidents happen all the time if people look hard enough they will find an idiot at any time, on any day doing the exact thing whatever that might be that suits the agenda to be reported on be it traffic fatalities involving cellphones or armed "professionals" that are anything but. The news media wants the public at large to reject any idea of armed security in public schools so they will dig up and report anything they can find which illustrates any flaws with such an idea and there are flaws. No one is saying it's the only solution because it's not but we've already seen too many times that 3 0.06 sign out front isn't a solution either. Any carried firearm has no business seeing daylight unless its about to be deliberately used.

Third seconds can be an eternity when there is an active shooter at work.
Seconds count and whoever stops him must be close by, not in another building, not at the end of another hallway, not on another floor.

Concerning the most recent shooters, metal detectors would have just been an expensive, gee-we-feel-better, joke. The shooter would have just started his rampage 15 seconds sooner.

And having an armed guard on campus -- IF he decides to engage he could still be two or three minutes away, an eternity when someone is shooting kids.

Plus, school districts can't afford making our schools armed camps.

Teachers willing to engage a shooter make more sense. They are the most motivated people there. And c'mon, it's not rocket science. It has more to do with courage than great expertise.

Will kids figure out who's carrying? Probably. But so what? Why would a teacher carrying offend their delicate sensibilities any more than metal detectors and armed guards?

Teachers, like cops, represent a cross section of our communities. But I think those who choose to carry will be far more responsible than those who won't.

GlennE Meyer said:
It's not so bad isn't a defense and excuse for having guns in school.

Someone had an accident with a firearm isn't a good reason to maintain schools as "gun free zones".

I attended high school in the 1980s, before concealed carry licensing had come to Ohio. We had teachers who carried. It wasn't a big deal.

Last edited:
2 incidents yesterday involving police have ADs in two different schools. Are these people trained? I don't get it? Going to be hard to argue teachers should be carrying guns when the police can't even get it right. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt in either incident except a student had some debris fall on them.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/1...-gun-in-classroom-injures-student-police.html

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/1...-at-virginia-middle-school-officials-say.html
This school district has an answer.School shooters: Pennsylvania district arms its students with rocks
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...school...students-armed-rocks/455181002/
1 day ago - Pennsylvania school district: Intruders 'will be stoned' by students armed with rocks. ... As part of the program, he said, every classroom has a 5-gallon bucket of rocks that students could use to "stone" a school shooter, if need be. ...

This school district has an answer.School shooters: Pennsylvania district arms its students with rocks
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...school...students-armed-rocks/455181002/
1 day ago - Pennsylvania school district: Intruders 'will be stoned' by students armed with rocks. ... As part of the program, he said, every classroom has a 5-gallon bucket of rocks that students could use to "stone" a school shooter, if need be. ...
I will no longer admit I live in Pennsylvania.

I can't seem to find the story on rocks in the classroom, but I do have a couple of thoughts, not to mention mixed emotions about it. On the one hand, putting rocks in the classroom is at least some small recognition that in order to fight back effectively against a gunman, a weapon is needed. On the other hand, I thought I remembered that this has to do with a middle school. That means it will only seem like a good idea until one middle schooler beans another in the head with a rock.

Unfortunately, many officers are poorly trained. The last time I qualified before I retired from the department, I almost got shot on the range. The knucklehead shooting beside me had an a.d. while holstering. The bullet hit the ground three inches in front of my foot. Its a good thing half the department got between us quickly.

Of all the teachers I knew at my high school, there were two I'd trust being armed and another two I'd suspect could be trusted.

Of the former, I was one, and the other was a US Army Major that ended up being recalled to duty in Iraq the next year.

Of the latter, one was a younger math teacher and the other was an older guy, not sure what he taught.

We had three solid security guards, one was a woman, and I'd trust each of them with my life any day. One was a Vietnam veteran.

We had a Resource Officer on campus, he was armed, and he was not the least bit hesitant to put our kids (gang members) in cuffs or zap them with his tazer.

The JROTC teacher, I'd trust him too. He was very level-headed and I spoke with him often. I think they have to be former military.

One of the coaches, I suspect he could be trusted armed. He put a punk in a full nelson moments before the RO tased the kid.

It's all moot, the principal was completely anti-gun, he even went off once on science books having the example of a cannon shooting a ball as an example of Newton's 3rd Law.

That means it will only seem like a good idea until one middle schooler beans another in the head with a rock.

When that happens, the parent will sue the school and the administration will try to blame it on the teacher, citing state law. Hopefully the news and quote from the admin to the press will be the teacher's defense when the school system shifts the blame.

*I know this because in the system where I taught, it was state law the teacher had to be in the room at all times. A principal called a teacher out into the hallway to talk with her, another child stabbed a kid, and the teacher was fired and sued. She violated state law by following the principal's order to step out into the hallway.

In The Ten Ring

*I know this because in the system where I taught, it was state law the teacher had to be in the room at all times. A principal called a teacher out into the hallway to talk with her, another child stabbed a kid, and the teacher was fired and sued. She violated state law by following the principal's order to step out into the hallway.
Got a cite?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back