Apparant damage to barrel/recoil housing... ok, fixable, or trash?

Nymero

Inactive
Bought this pre-owned Springfield XDM 40 recently. I was a dumbass, trusted the seller and didn't fully dissamble.

I fired 50 rounds threw it. Seemed to pull to the left, but could of just been me. Then I disassembled it to clean for the first time and found the damage in the pictures.

I don't know enough about firearms to know what the damage means. Is it completely unsafe and trash now? I'd buy a new gun over a new $330 slide tbh. Or is it fixable? Gunsmith? Or is it not a big deal just keep shooting the gun?

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 20190810_214514_compress44.jpg
    20190810_214514_compress44.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 330
  • 20190810_230456_compress80.jpg
    20190810_230456_compress80.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 300
Trash. Classic Kaboom, not uncommon in 40 S&W guns. Especially with handloads, or gun show "baggie" ammo.
Surprised there isn't more obvious damage to the frame.
Was this bought from a shop, or some unknown guy's trunk in a parking lot?

Figured as much.

Bought from a pawn shop with a good firearm reputation.

I'll call, complain, and post bad reviews but i imagine nothing will come of it.

Only replacement slides I can find cost more then I payed for the gun. Plus, I don't trust the other parts to not have damage to buy a $300+ slide.

So keeping this under the bed as home defense till I buy a NEW gun. More risk I blow my hand off than any defensive use?

I'm not even sure that's really damage. If the gun is working ok, I don't see it being a problem.

All that area does is provide a guide for the recoil spring and it can do that without being a full tube. It's quite possible that it's made exactly the way you see it in the pictures.

It is quite unlikely that a catastrophic incident, such as a "Kaboom" or overpressure round caused what you're seeing. Damage from an overpressure round would be in the chamber area. It would be quite unusual for damage to take place up around the front of the gun where the pictures focus. It certainly isn't characteristic of that kind of incident--in fact, as I said initially, I'm not really convinced that it's damage at all.

What you need to do is get someone with a similar pistol to look at theirs and let you know if what you're seeing is different from what they see.

I can honestly say that I’ve never seen that slide damage in a semiautomatic pistol. The pawn shop sold you a used firearm with latent damage that you didn’t discover until after the first range session, and this is now in an unsafe operating condition. The pawn shop owes you a full refund and an apology, otherwise you should be contacting the local Better Business Bureau about the situation.

From what I can tell that area of the slide is relieved to allow the barrel to be disassembled from the slide. In this particular gun, that operation appears to have left ragged edges (which is not ideal, but is also not necessarily a functional problem), but I don't think it's evidence of damage.

I could very well be wrong--I don't have a gun to pull out and compare, but the pictures I have been able to find suggest that the OP's pictures do not show any damage.

Before we have the OP go brace someone and accuse them of cheating him, let's be very sure we're giving him good information. Speculation as to how the pistol is supposed to look should be clearly labeled as such to avoid confusion.

Here's a picture I found of a stainless XDM 40 slide.

attachment.php

Attachments

• XDM40Slide.JPG
    XDM40Slide.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 677
Based on appearance the metal has failed and broken. I don't have one of them, myself.

Even if that area is "relieved" it was either botched or it later broke, I can't see anyone making such an uneven scalloped edge on purpose.

It is possible that the tool cutting head "chattered" and did a rough cut, and QC didn't catch it, or did and it was within limits. Also possible some small chips of the edge broke off leaving the scalloped appearance. I don't know, it just seems wrong though.

Now the question is, is it a problem???

I'd say contact Springfield, send them the pics and ask their opinion.

Johnksa,

Wow, that looks very similar...

I just disassembled/reassembled again to check, and the gash definately seems to have zero functional value. The barrel is way to big to fit threw the cutout.

But that pic definitely makes me want to search more (preferably see another xdm) before I raise hell to the seller.

Thank you.

But like 44 AMP said, the metal is rigged and broken. Their is a rough, jagged stainless steel showing under the black mat "cut out" where it looks like the metal is broken. I need to see another XDM. Surely there's another owner on the forums that can help me out?

To assemble/disassemble the barrel from the slide, it must be able to be tilted to get it into and out of the slide. The barrel must also tilt during normal operation when it unlocks from the slide.

If the barrel channel at the muzzle were perfectly cylindrical and close to the size of the barrel, it would be impossible to tilt the barrel--it would only be able to move straight back and forth.

So there is a cut made in the barrel channel to allow the barrel to tilt for removal and normal operation. The barrel channel is basically enlarged downward on an angle.

Because there is a channel for the recoil spring assembly immediately under the barrel, the cut made in the barrel channel will go through the metal and into the recoil spring channel.

Ideally, the cut would have nice smooth edges where it impinges into the recoil spring channel, but depending on what method the manufacturer used to cut it, and on how concerned they are with finish work inside the slide where it can't be seen unless the gun is disassembled, it might end up being pretty rough looking.

I agree that it doesn't look good, and it is possible that someone did something that made the edges more ragged, but I don't see it being a functional issue. That's not a stressed area (which makes it less likely that what you're seeing is damage) so it's not going to be dangerous to shoot the gun and it's not going to affect the operation.

I think 44AMP's suggestion to contact Springfield with the pictures is probably a good one. Also, it certainly would be helpful for folks to post some pictures of their XDM 40s slides for comparison.

We need another pistol.

Looks kike it could be investment cast and left as cast like the edges in the second picture.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

I'm with JohnKSa on this one. I don't see any way that that makes the pistol unsafe. all that area does is act as a very loose guide for the spring. I would shoot it a bunch and see if it really makes any difference. Besides, doesn't Springfield have a lifetime warranty? I would call their CS and see what they say before asking the opinion of random people on the internet.

I agree with the above posts. A kaboom didn't cause that. It could also be a left over from the manufacturing process.

I'd send the pictures to Springfield, be honest about buying the gun second hand and see what they say.

Personally, I think it's a non issue.

That looks like the slide from a 4.5 model. I had on years ago that I remember looked like that. It is indeed a cutout to facilitate barrel removal.It's just not pretty to look at.

Aye! Ok so, we think it's good?

Couldn't find a pic online but watched a assembly video and his had one too.

Already emailed springfield in a panic yesterday, so that should confirm it.

Take a small file & smooth it out. It's only cosmetic. If you're really paranoid get a 9mm conversion barrel & start shooting only 9mm's out of it.

I think the OP contact Springfield with good pictures of the affected area and the serial number, and verify their assessment of the situation & how they can remedy it.

Already emailed springfield in a panic yesterday...
These things happen. The second gun I bought ended up going back to the shop because I found a spot that looked broken. I actually convinced the shop owner that it was a problem and we were both wondering about the manufacturer's QC until the gun he brought out as a replacement was identical. I went back home with the original gun and later found that I wasn't the only one who had been fooled by that particular "feature".

See what Springfield says. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but it helps to get an official read.

Looks like poor workmanship at worst. Doesn't look damaged, or dangerous to me. Some guns are poorly finished internally and look bad cosmetically, but it rarely hurts function. Every CZ I've ever seen looked good on the outside, but internally look like a middle school shop class worked over them with dull files. But they generally are among the more accurate guns made.

Back