Apartment/Urban/Drywall Shotgun Load and Gauge? Your choice? Ideas?

I did a little research and in the interest of just putting out other rounds for people I found that the 223 is less likely to over penetrate than most of the calibers listed here. That is assuming you use the correct fragmenting rounds. Another round that is unlikely to over penetrate I found was the 380 and I think we all know the reason for that one. I used to have a 380 but I sold it because I did not like how I carried it. It just was not a reliable gun for me. Looking back I may have kept it just to have one more gun in my collection but I don't know I didn't really like it that much anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about #2 steel shot waterfowl loads? These wont penetrate as much being made of steel. I know from using them for hunting they run out of steam before 100 yards. But at close range should still make a bigger hole or holes than bird shot.

I was talking to a former LE this morning. He told me he was shot in the left hand and face with a 20 gauge loaded with birdshot. The hand shot was at close range <10 yards. The face shot was about 40 yards. His hand and face show no real signs today nearly 20 years later. He did say his hand was tore up pretty good though. Luckly no pellets hit his eyes. His 357 revolver did not go off when he fired at the shooter. So he reholstered it even though his left hand(he is lefthanded) was shot with the 20 gauge. He said he paniked after his hangun did not fire and he just ran. he said the round had a good primer strike on it must have been a dud.:(

Last edited:
I don't think very many of you have even shot a shotgun. ;)
My suggestion is that you try different loads-at different distances and find out for yourself.
That said-ANY load for a 12 ga. is likely to be a good stopper at home defense distances. While it MIGHT not work, odds are that it will-and no one can tell you what load will definitely work.

That's alot of recoil. First shot very effective but if you miss, the bad guy would have plenty of time to react before you recover and get a second shot.

Great videos indeed. Thanks for posting those.

I live in the urbs, and over penetration is a concern worth giving some thought to. I've been keeping my HD 12 gauge loaded with #4 buck since I bought it last year, and I feel pretty good about that decisions. Better than ever actually after watching the video above.

I have the 870 with extended shell holder, holds 6 + 1 and am very comfortable using a #5 shot. The 870 is a 20 gauge.

Anything under 155 millimeter and you are taking the chance that it doesn't get the job done.

155mm? Well (literally) there goes the neighborhood. Wow and I thought my .50 was a bit overkill.

"Anything under 155 millimeter and you are taking the chance that it doesn't get the job done."

"155mm? Well (literally) there goes the neighborhood. Wow and I thought my .50 was a bit overkill."

12 gauge is .73......way bigger than .50 :D

If you're seriously concerned about overpenetration, FN's 5.7x28mm is the way to go. It may be moving at 2800 fps, but once it hits drywall or flesh, it loses it's energy very quickly. FN designed it to where it could be used in a CQC situation and not cause collateral damage. Very little recoil for easy follow-ups. Either a PS90 or Five-seveN will fit the bill. I don't mean to completely redirect, but with what you've described with your concern of overpenetration, 5.7 can really fit that bill.

If you're seriously concerned about overpenetration, FN's 5.7x28mm is the way to go. It may be moving at 2800 fps, but once it hits drywall or flesh, it loses it's energy very quickly. FN designed it to where it could be used in a CQC situation and not cause collateral damage. Very little recoil for easy follow-ups. Either a PS90 or Five-seveN will fit the bill. I don't mean to completely redirect, but with what you've described with your concern of overpenetration, 5.7 can really fit that bill.

Lol I don't think I can afford the bullets. So no risk of over penetration for that one. I do want a five seven bad though.

Back