Anyone working German gun dogs

Because of their bloodlines, they instinctively kill anything in the field that's not a bird. Rob, the late owner's son told me he shot a bird and the dog took off over the hill. After a long wait, he returned with a dead coyote in his mouth ! I"d call them for the answer to your question.

My Drahthaar Greta would hunt anything. She loved rabbits. She also killed a racoon brought it to me then went back into the brush to retrieve the pheasant. She also outright killed one coyote and corned one against a fence allowing it to be shot. This was in SD pheasant hunting. I miss her. They are intelligent dogs with strong natural ability. I did not work her on blood trailing due to legal issues where I live. During a training session she trailed and treed a smaller black bear.
Mwal

Some years back I inherited a full-grown male GSP with no training other than house training and obedience training. He would find and point on fur and feathers. He would hunt down and kill varmints around the place without prompting. He nabbed several common birds on the wing that were flying too low for their own good. He was happiest when, after a point, the rabbit would break loose and run and he got to tear after them like a bolt of lightning. He was a wonderment to observe.

I have no doubt that were I in the market for a gun dog, I would go GSP.

Back