Anyone used an M1919 barrel for a bolt gun re-barrel?

Ignoring the insult because I'm in a good mood today...
Wasn't trying to insult anyone (if I had been trying, there would be little doubt). Notice I said
I am a little lost here. And I am not trying to sound judgmental
I was mainly wondering why you are considering sleeving the barrel shank when you have a 1.122" barrel blank to begin with. But never mind, what do I know?

The only reason I was questioning the sleeving method was Jimro's post #6 that referenced anecdotal evidence that better accuracy was achieved with the original chambers intact vs. lopping off the breech and re-chambering.

Makes little sense to me, as given the methods under which these barrels were chambered would most certainly be less precise than that which we would use today.

Anyway, I've already steered the customer in a different direction.

I'm asking if anyone has direct experience. Period.

I know all about blanks from Green Mountain, Shilen, Krieger, Brux, blah , blah, blah.

I was asked by a customer if I KNEW anything about their accuracy and if it was a worthwhile project.

If you DO NOT have direct knowledge of the results of a M1919 re-barrel on a bolt gun, please do NOT reply to my thread.

Yes I do and, in my opinion they are tack drivers but that depends on who built the rifle. I suggest measuring before and again after and then there is that part called lobbing off.

F. Guffey

Had an inquiry about doing this...
Cheap enough- at $75 for a new old stock barrel.

There is more than one machine gun barrel for the M1917, a friend built many with 308 W barrels. Owners consider the rifles bench rest accurate. He called me not long ago asking for help, seem an internet reloader purchases one and was complaining. I ask about accuracy; he said the accuracy was not the issue but the chamber was according the new owner. He new owner complained about loose necks so I boxed up a few dies and went for a visit. When it comes to cases there is no shortage but he wanted to furnished them.

We sorted threw a few thousand and settled on 30/06 National Match Lake City. I formed the 308 W cases out of the 30/06 cases, after loading them we checked the neck clearance; after forming we reduced the clearance between the loaded neck and chamber neck by .007". Meaning the clearance between the neck of the chamber and outside diameter of the case was .0025". He understood if the cases were changed to another brand and or head stamp he had to start over.

Accuracy did not changer when the necks were tightened up.

F. Guffey

And then there is a difference in the two chambers as in 308W and 7.62 NATO. And someone should ask how is it the rifles are so accurate if the 308 W case has wiggle room in the 7.62 NATO chamber.

Again, I purchased a rifle from an auction on the Internet; it was voted the 'ugliest' and "what was the builder thinking". For $120.00 I thought the sum of the parts was worth more than I paid for the ugly rifle. I could not believe anyone could build a rifle that ugly without knowing he knew more about building and accuracy than the critics on reloading forums. Sure enough, I installed a scope, base and rings and went to the range to test the rifle. There was nothing I could do to improve on the accuracy and there was nothing I was willing to do to pretty up the rifle so I lefter the way I found-er.

A man from China said his father recognized the rifle as being one of his favorite when fighting the Communist and Japanese with Chiang Kai-shek. I thought the father had an eye for detail.

F. Guffey

Since I started reloading for the 6.5 Swede I've began suspecting that a generous chamber doesn't hurt accuracy. Not generous headspace, but a slightly larger chamber body and neck. The Swede M96s are rather infamous for having an oversized chamber body which "balloons" the brass, which requires neck sizing to not overwork the body of the brass for subsequent reloads. But accuracy is phenomenal for a milsurp rifle.

As long as the cartridge has good headspace support and a straight lineup into the throat, accuracy should be quite acceptable.

Jimro

Back