Anyone use Gunbroker?

You will need to consider 2 things. 1) bidding is a game. There are real strategies to getting it for the price you want.

2) there is always someone, generally from a coastal state, that an extra $100 or so on a 1000 primers is no big deal. You have to know the maximum reasonable price in your mind before laying down your bid.

Over the last few years I have bought at least a dozen guns on GunBroker. I have always been satisfied except for one purchase that went sour because of a clerical error by the seller, not because of dishonesty. The thing I like is that the majority of the dozen I have bought are guns I had not seen in a lifetime of shopping at gun shops and shows, and they fit my various collecting themes. The latest one, because I got interested in old, boys' rifles, is a Savage Model 1905, a little bolt action, heavy barreled .22 with a Swiss butt plate. Very good condition and a good shooter. There were no bids at six days left. I waited until there was less than a day left then jumped in. I won it and I was the only bidder, and I don't know why. I got it for the starting bid amount. This is not the only time that this has happened to me. But, I must also confess there are several that I paid too much for. Maybe it evens out.

All but one great experiences for me as well. Last purchase was a Colt 6520. Read the description, did my due diligence. watched the auction ending, quit looking a few hours before auctions end. Got a deal, gun came in, no BCG. I was livid.

Went back to the listing and it had been modified showing no BCG sometime since I looked at it and the end of the auction. I'm more than certain the listing was modified at the last minute. I had no proof, and what would filing a complaint do. Seller had a good rating. Its possible I'm wrong, but . . ... Ended up getting a Colt branded BCG for $199, I'm still ahead.

On the other hand I scored a like new Super Match, McMillan stocked, chrome lined barrel M1A1 for $2k a few years ago.

Like others have said know your limit and stick to it. I got burned on a 1969 3 screw .44 mag several years ago. LNIB, they were worth about $750 at the time. I'd set my high bid at $900 being an idiot. That's what I ended up paying as I watched the auction get extended by 2 hours 15 minutes at a time. Nothing I could no.

But, I recently saw an identical one to mine sell for $1750. All's well that ends well!

I got an 1100 that looked great in pictures but when I received it I got the impression that it had spent some time under water. Still functional but it looks rough. Paid about 1500 for a Citori trap gun that again showed up looking a lot rougher than in the pictures, sold it for a little less than I paid.

Most recently bought some 870 parts and a Remington 521, no real complaints except for shipping costs, I want to say on the 521 shipping was close to $80.

I browse GB about once a week, but it seems like anything that I am searching for (older 870s, Ithaca 37 etc) seem to be fetching quite a bit more than I'm willing to spend these days.

using gun broker

I currently have an Ithaca model 37 12 guage pump, I got on gunbroker, at what I thought was an outstanding price.
I also have two left handed muzzleloading rifles, one flintlock and the other percussion I got on gun broker. Those are the only three I have left , but in the past I got about a dozen or more on gunbroker. I have used them from about 2006 to 2022.
Have never sold anything on gunbroker, but now I wish I had. I really took a loss on quite a few, but had to have the money quickly.

I got an 1100 that looked great in pictures but when I received it I got the impression that it had spent some time under water. Still functional but it looks rough. Paid about 1500 for a Citori trap gun that again showed up looking a lot rougher than in the pictures, sold it for a little less than I paid.

Most recently bought some 870 parts and a Remington 521, no real complaints except for shipping costs, I want to say on the 521 shipping was close to $80.

I browse GB about once a week, but it seems like anything that I am searching for (older 870s, Ithaca 37 etc) seem to be fetching quite a bit more than I'm willing to spend these days.
That;s what I have notices as well. Used guns sometimes going for the price of new ones.

gunbroker

Yeah , old ones going for new prices, but is the same at the local gun shows here at least. But my brother-in-law saw two shotguns at a decent price.

I have used it MANY times. Back in my heyday I did several hundred transactions on Gunbroker, between buying and selling.

I haven't used it in a while, but that's just because I'm trying to learn to be content with what I have... not because of any issue with GB.

GB is great, as long as you stick to sellers who have good feedback.

I have used it MANY times. Back in my heyday I did several hundred transactions on Gunbroker, between buying and selling.

I haven't used it in a while, but that's just because I'm trying to learn to be content with what I have... not because of any issue with GB.

GB is great, as long as you stick to sellers who have good feedback.
I was watching a rifle that I was thinking about getting. Never fired demo. I stopped once the price bypassed what new one costs on Guns.com. Makes no sense to me.

I was watching a rifle that I was thinking about getting. Never fired demo. I stopped once the price bypassed what new one costs on Guns.com. Makes no sense to me.

It took me almost a full year to get a Bergara 6.5CM 18" Ridge at $100 below MSRP, which was my limit. They were hard to find and my LGS could not even order one in, but not that unique, so I held out.

Same with a new .45/70 Henry in 2020. Took me 6 months.

But some of the "off main street" firearms I have been able to pick up have been below market value at the time. Just have to keep at it if it is worth it to you.

My current quest is a S&W .41 Magnum Hunter (unfluted cylinder, 6.5") that is no longer made. In my mind, not worth more than $1K. I missed one that sold at $949, but most are selling for north of $1500. If I don't get one by March, just going to build a 6" 10mm 1911 with a dot instead.

It took me almost a full year to get a Bergara 6.5CM 18" Ridge at $100 below MSRP, which was my limit. They were hard to find and my LGS could not even order one in, but not that unique, so I held out.

Same with a new .45/70 Henry in 2020. Took me 6 months.

But some of the "off main street" firearms I have been able to pick up have been below market value at the time. Just have to keep at it if it is worth it to you.

My current quest is a S&W .41 Magnum Hunter (unfluted cylinder, 6.5") that is no longer made. In my mind, not worth more than $1K. I missed one that sold at $949, but most are selling for north of $1500. If I don't get one by March, just going to build a 6" 10mm 1911 with a dot instead.
Thanks for the info. I am looking for a backup 270. Was looking at the BARs, but they are a bit out of my range. Probably just keep an eye out for a good deal on a bolt action. I like to have two rifles in each caliber for backup.

I can buy a new MK2 Safari right now for around $1400. Have seen it as low as $1200 at times. They are going close to $1500 on GB.

Last edited:
I've bought guns there in the past but not in the last ten years or so. I never had a problem. The guns I bought were older guns and were as good or better than described and pictured.

I am discovering what I am looking for is usually going higher than other sites. Just wanted a backup 270. Was really intrigued and always wanted a BAR, but just could not get myself to spend that much money. So, started looking at bolt guns. Something threaded so I can use a muzzle brake with neck and shoulder problems. Ended up getting a smack down good deal from Bud's, which surprised me. Usually they are a bit more than other sites. Got the last HOWA 1500 in 270 they had for 500 beans. Watching the prices go up on auctions is nerve wracking, so not my cup of tea. Unless I want something older that you cannot get anywhere else.

Really appreciate folks feedback and sharing their experiences.

Back