Anyone use Gunbroker?

I have a couple of times.

One was a sale in my state, so I drove to buy it face to face. The price was fair and it was an opportunity for gun networking.

Another was an out of state shop. It showed up short one magazine, so I contacted the seller. The shop was certain it had shipped with two magazines, then later contacted me to say that staff had sold the spare magazine separately and they'd send out another.

There is certainly an opportunity for deception and theft.

If you are looking for something out of production, it seems more efficient than strolling around the local show. I've also used it as an approximate measure of value when selling.

Sold 4, bought 5 firearms. Bought some factory shotgun ammo, sold a lot of .22RF and Revolver ammo.

Never had a problem. But I checked out every seller and buyer pretty carefully.

My limited experiences with Gunbroker, buying a couple firearms, some ammunition and multiple magazines and parts have all gone well.

Dealing with the shippers used by the sellers, not so much in some cases.

I never bought anything from sellers with fewer than a hundred deals though.

I have a fair amount of experience buying and selling, over 150 transactions. Very few problems. Most sellers are diligent with accurate descriptions, but while few outright lie, they may not include all they know. Or they really don't know. Ask questions! Checking prices, go the the Completed Auctions search to get actual sales prices. Asking prices are often fantasies. Check the shipping costs. They vary quite a bit. And since you are paying shipping, sales tax, and a transfer fee on your end, it's pretty hard to find an actual bargain. I have purchased some unique pieces, though. Good luck to you.

I've bought and sold a half dozen in each direction.
I usually surf similar items that I want to sell to see what peope emphasize and how they handle shipping before I post mine for sale. The Devil is in the details.

Thanks everyone. I am eyeballing a pretty expensive rifle that seems to be hard to find. Not out of production, but limited supply. New demo being sold as used and never shot.

It has a starting bid, but no reserve and no bids. Still 4 days on the auction. Y'all ever contact the seller and just make an offer vs playing the bid game?

Last edited:
USAF Ret said:
It has a starting bid, but no reserve and no bids. Still 4 days on the auction. Y'all ever contact the seller and just make an offer vs playing the bid game?

I don't think that's allowed under Gunbroker's terms of service (unless the seller lists a "Buy it now" price).

The pattern I saw was that a 10 day or so auction would post. I'd put in a first bid of one dollar and there's be a bid for two then three, then nothing for nine days. A few hours before the end of the auction the real bidding would start, and I'd find out that someone really wanted it a lot more than I did.

The pattern I saw was that a 10 day or so auction would post. I'd put in a first bid of one dollar and there's be a bid for two then three, then nothing for nine days. A few hours before the end of the auction the real bidding would start, and I'd find out that someone really wanted it a lot more than I did.
Good to know. If this one goes up over a couple hundred, I can just wait for a new one to come available sometime in the future. We shall see.

FWIW there are "bidding bots" out there that a number of folks use that will wait until a specified time to start bidding.

If you are interested I suggest picking how much you are willing to pay at most, include the shipping, FFL transfer(s) and such. Place that as a max bid. If that is below the "start" posted by the seller, don't bid and see if the start comes down. The website will only actually "bid" the lowest amount of your max to win. It will increment your actual bid when someone else bids.

FWIW there are "bidding bots" out there that a number of folks use that will wait until a specified time to start bidding.

If you are interested I suggest picking how much you are willing to pay at most, include the shipping, FFL transfer(s) and such. Place that as a max bid. If that is below the "start" posted by the seller, don't bid and see if the start comes down. The website will only actually "bid" the lowest amount of your max to win. It will increment your actual bid when someone else bids.
Good information to have. Thank you!

Every bid in the last 15 minutes extends the auction by 15 minutes to prevent "bid sniping", which bidding at the last second to get a lower price. Most auctions come alive in the last hour or so. A $1000 rifle "going for $150" with 4 days left is zero indication of what it will end at.

I've had only good experiences with Gunbroker. But always check feedback and possibly avoid high dollar items on new accounts.

Every bid in the last 15 minutes extends the auction by 15 minutes to prevent "bid sniping", which bidding at the last second to get a lower price. Most auctions come alive in the last hour or so. A $1000 rifle "going for $150" with 4 days left is zero indication of what it will end at.

I've had only good experiences with Gunbroker. But always check feedback and possibly avoid high dollar items on new accounts.
Thank you! The starting bid on it was a few hundred less than market price. But I also know folks out there who way overpay for the adrenaline rush of "winning" and auction. It is not a must have, so not too awfully worried about it. If it gets above market price, I will stop bidding.

I have used GB many times, usually to buy out of production, antique, or hard to find guns or vintage ammo. Current production, common firearms can be found at dealer or wholesale prices. Negatives are Gunbroker started collecting state sales tax, so figure that into your price. They also originally charged the seller a small fee, but now charge the buyer a fee too, about 2% of the purchase price. You send this total to the seller, so I assume GB takes it from their account. I’m really skeptical whether the money collected ever makes it to the state.
I have, when the seller uses their shop name, looked them up and called to make an offer to deal with me personally. Usually for a gun that’s been up a long time, or multiple listings with no bids. They still have to ship to my FFL, but if selling out of state they don’t need to collect sales tax. So you can save money that way. You just can’t go through GB’s messaging system to make a side deal.

I've bought a few through GB, two this year. All transactions went well with the item meeting or exceeding the descriptions and shipping was prompt. I check the sellers ratings, total transactions and shipping fees before I place a bid. I then submit the max I'm willing to pay then wait for the end of the auction. I don't always get the item I bid on but I never feel that I overpay for something by doing this.

using gunbroker

I have used gunbroker over a period of 16 years, from 2007 thru 2022.
As long as I do my part, ask questions, observe the rules, I have had no problem. I currently have two black powder rifles, an Ithaca model 37 shotgun, that I purchased on gunbroker.
The only problem over the years is finding a local dealer to do the paperwork.
Some will, some will not.
There is one here locally now, that charges a FLAT 10 DOLLAR FEE. He gets a lot from gunbroker and Buds gunshop.

Sold 2 bought several. Selling them was not great. The shipping was STUPID expensive. Ended up cancelling a couple sales, because the cost to ship it was so much $.

Back