Anyone think "Python Madness" is about done?

I paid $800 and change for my 4" Python new in 1981.
You sure about that? That’s awfully expensive.
I only paid $650 OTD for a brand new 6” blue in 1992. $550 for a used 6” nickle in 1996 and $1K each for a pair of used 4” er’s in 2008. All of those prices were the going rates at the time.

Jim

I always wanted a Python but never had one. Settled fot a Trooper MK III and loved it. The thing I'd heard about pythons were they were good to adjust the trigger's on. Don't remember if they had a flat spring or coil spring. Think flat as my Trooper had a coil spring. I'd still be a happy guy to have either the Python or another Trooper.

You sure about that? That’s awfully expensive.

Yes. I know it was high. It was the only one around deal. Remember revolvers dropped in price for a while in the late eighties and early nineties when the market was flooded with police trade ins.

+1 on the "stacking."
I think that was my MAIN complaint on the Colts.

Although the lockup is REALLY good, that last lil jink bothers me. (talking DA...single action no notice.)

I have a M66 S&W with the most unbelievably good trigger right from the factory.

Actually better than a "tuned" Smith.

Go figger. :rolleyes:

I have a Python that I bought in the early 80’s for about $360. It’s a 4 inch Nickel model. I assume, from the slight wear pattern, that was a cop’s gun. In and out of a holster. Wonderful single action trigger pull and a long but very smooth DA pull. What I don’t know is whether not it was ever ‘smoothed’ by a gunsmith. The grandkids love to shoot it, and they and their friends are TWD fans, so they like to have their picture taken with it. But, the gun was getting a lot of use, so I bought a 686 Plus, also 4 inch to take most of the use. Out of the box, it was nowhere near as good as the Python, so I found a good gunsmith and had it smoothed out. Right now I’ll say that they are about equal in trigger pulls, and both are great. That said, if I had one bullet to make one shot for all the money, I’d use the Python. I shoot it just a little bit better. But, that’s just me.

Anyone think "Python Madness" is about done?

Yes. Unless of course I stumble into a smoking deal on another one...

mNxsQeK.jpg

Maybe. But then it will, like always, rise again. These things, collector or enthusiasts interest in specific models, come and go.

tipoc

I have a Python that I bought in the early 80’s for about $360. It’s a 4 inch Nickel model. I assume, from the slight wear pattern, that was a cop’s gun. In and out of a holster. Wonderful single action trigger pull and a long but very smooth DA pull. What I don’t know is whether not it was ever ‘smoothed’ by a gunsmith..

They left the factory that way. It's the bent teardrop shape of the sear that makes the difference and results in a long transition for the compression for the spring. The very old S&W revolvers had a similar sear and the Korth revolvers use a roller to achieve the same results. S&W can be smoothed out but there's only so much you can do with MIM parts (surface hardened and if remove the hardened surface, wear accelerates).

Great picture MuzzleBlasts.

Usually when people talk about the Python trigger they mean the single action trigger.
It was arguably the best ever in a production revolver.

As for the stacking Colt trigger, an interesting bit of history was that in many S&W PPC guns the trigger had a rubber trigger stop installed.
This was so the DA trigger pull would stack just before the hammer dropped, much like a Colt.

Brownell's still sell them.

I love revolvers, I love my practicality shooters. I payed $1375 for my 12" S&W 460 PC XVR. I don't buy "collectible safe queens". IMO people thinking a used Anaconda is worth $2K is just stupid, but hey it's your money not mine.

I've bought two, and sold two. They are fantastic, but ultimately I settled on the S&W line as shooters. They had a much broader product line and more reasonable prices. A fellow could get multiple revolvers in an array of calibers all of the same pattern. That was much harder to do with Colt, and a lot more expensive.

As I recall my first 6" was $350 in 1980-1981. The second was more interesting. I walked into a chain sporting goods store in 1992, and sitting in the case was an 8" Python Target in .38 Spl which was a single run that they did in 198...7?

It had been sitting in the case for years. The box was shredded from being put in the safe every night and the Styrofoam liner was a mess. It still had the original price on it. $550.

That was the most accurate revolver I've ever shot. It shot like a rifle. But then it should, as it weighed about the same as a rifle (or so it seemed). It was just too heavy, even in my younger years, to do any extended off-hand shooting with.

Bear in mind that at the time, you could buy target K-frames for half to three-quarters the price of a Python. After decades of trigger time with S&W's I have no desire for one any longer.

I have suffered two symptoms of Python Madness. 1st in early 70s when I had
a couple I sold them. Why?, because I could shoot a S&W M27 better.
2nd I could now kick myself for selling them then, so I could sell them now!
I had Diamond Backs too, also abandoned for m17s & m14 S&Ws. They were
all nice pistols but I stuck with S&Ws and still do. There is S&W Madness also.
The older P&Rs just keep climbing in price every day. No one makes them like
they use to.

I've resisted saying this for as long as I could:

As long as there are fans out there who can recite lines from the Dead Parrot sketch, Python Madness will live on.

"Its metabolic processes are of interest only to historians."

Last time I looked, the prices on Pythons had slumped. Maybe that was just the 2 1/2 inchers, as someone dumped a bunch of them several years ago?

The pythons have been highly sorted way before “walking dead” series. The guess the prices are just tipping people off. Colt revolvers aren’t typical an edc or much of a range tactical weapon so I guess these factors has lead to less buyers

Pythons are collectibles in today's market. That is what makes them valuable. The fact that collectors are willing to pay the high prices could change at any time. Just ask collectors of 17th and 18th Century Antique furniture how much value can decline or increase in just a couple of years.

Back