Anyone switch from RH to LH due to eye issues?

"What exactly were these mods?"
Basically an offset sight(scope or red dot) that aligns with the still functional eye with the rifle/shotgun mounted of the opposite shoulder. Dates back to the 19th century using a severe cast off stock bend.
This is an off-shoot(no pun intended)of my design for assisted sighting mods for blind shooters.

"What exactly were these mods?"

Basically an offset sight(scope or red dot) that aligns with the still functional eye with the rifle/shotgun mounted of the opposite shoulder. Dates back to the 19th century using a severe cast off stock bend.
This is an off-shoot(no pun intended)of my design for assisted sighting mods for blind shooters
./QUOTE]

I have a pair offset rings coming from china - mainly used to mount a light on the side of an AR15's rail but the offset is about an 1" from the bore. I'm going to see if it will work mounted on one of my crossbows that uses a Zeiss XB75 scope, and allow me to shoot right handed and looking thru the scope with my left eye - sort of like "The Pigman". :)

There's not a big problem right now with a standard plex reticle, the problem exists with a fine vertical crosshair with numerous chevrons like in crossbow scopes and the RX-800 bdc reticle in the Zeiss I just bought.:mad:

That may work for you, if you get the spacing right. The key is getting things lined up so your sighting eye is pretty well looking through the center of the optic. Adjusting the horizontal spacing may be accomplished by using "scope riser" spacers but care must be taken to keep the number of "interface" connections to a minimum. Tolerance stacking can put you beyond the adjustment capability of your optic.
The mods I used for blind shooters are/were precision made in a high tech machine shop and were as close to parallel as possible. These assisted sighting devices made shooting @ 300 meters workable.

I am currently training myself to shoot ambi. My traditional shooting is RH, right eye dominant but my right eye is much poorer than my left vision wise. I have extremely poor eyesight but I am learning to overcome and shoot reasonable. I shoot optics RH very well and I am forcing myself to learn irons shooting LH. Sighting irons with my left eye I am ok out to 300 yds then things get too fuzzy. I tried shooting my M1A at 600 yds and that was a no go. I only hit paper 2 out of 5 shots (but at least I was close). Changing shooting holds will be initially very frustrating as everything feels all wrong at first but after trigger time things will start to feel more at one with the rifle. I had to make some ambi control mods to my AR-15 to shoot LH but it can be done. Shooting ambi is a great skillset to learn and not many shooters can perform well. You don't necessarily have to use your right eye for RH shooting. When I shoot my K98 Mauser with the optic, the sight line of the scope is very high. I've learned to simply use my left eye shooting RH and it works excellent for me. Same goes for my offset scope mount for my M1 Garand. Shoot RH, sight with my left eye.

Road Clam, I wish you good luck! I can't do anything left handed but learned to shoot long guns left handed because my left eye is dominant. Oops, I also shoot compound bows left handed. I NEVER shoot a handgun left handed.

I am right handed, right eye dominant but a detached Retina in my right eye caused me to start buying scopes for my .22 rifles.

My right eye is slowly coming back but still not great.

A while back I bought a Henry Golden Boy lever action .22. The stock drops off sharply and I found I could hold the rifle right-handed but could lean my head over to sight with my left eye.

I can't do this with my Winchester 9422 or Uberti Silverboy.

Here's a picture to show the stock angles.

Some reason I started shooting long guns left handed as a kid and pistols are right handed. I am left eye dominant that might be the reason, maybe it felt more natural to shoot long guns left handed. I try to think back and figure out why would I did that? My Dad never did teach me that way. I write right handed. My right hand and arm are a lot stronger than my left. Main thing is all my long guns other than a Stag Lefty AR, are right handed guns. I have had this urge to try a left hand bolt rifle and see how it works out. A left handed shotgun is in the works also. Would be nice not having empty shotgun hulls and smoke flying past my face when I shoot.

As far as the Original Post and the eye issues, it would be hard for me to switch to shooting long guns right handed if something went wrong with my left eye. I guess with practice I could eventually feel comfortable shooting right handed.

I feel for any person that has a medical issues and has to alter their way of shooting.

I shoot handguns equally well with either hand but with a rifle I'm lost left handed. Left handed I'm like a novice that never handled a rifle before.

Switcheroo

The fellah that trained me to shoot in the 70's made me shoot with both hands, rifle, pistol, and shotgun. I'm a natural lefty/left eye dominant, but I've got 6 right hand bolts, 3 ARs, and 3 left hand bolts. I've also noticed that my left eye doesn't focus as well as right, so I've been shooting more RH lately. Just have to rehearse the mechanics on the right side a little more with the rifles.

The fellah that trained me to shoot in the 70's made me shoot with both hands, rifle, pistol, and shotgun. I'm a natural lefty/left eye dominant, but I've got 6 right hand bolts, 3 ARs, and 3 left hand bolts. I've also noticed that my left eye doesn't focus as well as right, so I've been shooting more RH lately. Just have to rehearse the mechanics on the right side a little more with the rifles.

A shooter should practice and learn to shoot either way, left or right handed. A lot of times while deer hunting in a tree stand I have been at a disadvantage because I could not turn to my left and take a good shot. This past deer season a big coyote came in on my left side(bad side as I call it) and before I could turn in the stand to where I could make the shot he saw me and hi telled it out of dodge.

I wish the OP luck with his endeavor. One of my friends' mom growing up had a cannery accident that left her right hand pretty mangled, with only 3 fingers remaining. With practice she was able to switch and now uses her left hand for almost everything. Nothing to do with eye dominance, but I'm sure its similar, training and practice can overcome almost anything.

I'm a lefty who is somewhat right eye dominant. I shoot rifles lefty, and I don't own a single left handed bolt gun, a situation I need to remedy. My only complaint with AR's isn't the brass, but any gasses that get blown back are not fun for the eyes.

Pistols I am fairly ambidextrous with, although I typically grip them in my left hand and my CCW is set up for left hand draw.

I do shoot my bow right handed...

Good luck!

Back