Anyone stocking up on "fixins"?

berkmberk1

With the economy experiencing a period of lowered expectations, to put it Bushily....is anyone stocking up on mail order/internet purchases? The way I see it, it can't be long before all the dealers and suppliers are going to have to charge more for shipping, and due to rising shipping costs, they'll have to raise their prices too! Besides that, component costs like lead, brass, copper, are going up. Heck! The newspaper recently had an article about our county sheriff's office not getting its ammo order it put in LAST YEAR...its backlogged on account of the war!!!

So, I'm trying to balance my wish list with my budget, but I think if I make some astute moves (like cashing in on the Cabelas Remington offer) I can save myself some $hooting bucks.........my list goes something like this:

1000 rounds .454 lead ball, 500-1000 rds .452-.454 230 gr fprn, , maybe 1000 rds 158 gr .357 Keiths (I have a BUNCH of .38/.357 brass from once upon a time) 500-1000 fmjfp 9MM for my "other side", along with about 1000 rds of 150 gr 7.62MM pulls (M1, a ton of brass also from highpower days), plus a large Unique (8lbs?), some real black, and a corresponding amount of caps, sml and lrg pistol primers, and large rifle primers. I figure with an order like this I can afford the hazmat charges and still save.

While it might sound good for Armagedon, I'm really just looking to save some bucks over the long haul..............but if Armagedon occured.........;)

He he, kinda way ahead of ya..

Have
C&B revolvers.
600 .457 144gr. cast balls
4Lb. Goex FFFG Black.
1000 Remington #11 caps

Hawken.
200 .530 224gr. cast balls.
10Lb of Pillow Ticking "it loves it for those 120 yard shots."
2Lb Goex FFG Black.
500 CCI Musket caps.

Preloaded
800 .45ACP Remington Ball ammo
300 .45ACP Remington Gold Saber
1000 9mm Winchester Ball Ammo
400 .44-40 Black Powder loaded 205gr.
1000 .30-06 150gr. Ball ammo
300 .45-70 500gr. Black Powder.
600 .12Ga. assorted.

Ready to load.
500 .452 230gr. Ball
1000 Lrg pistol primers CCI
200 .430 Cast Lead 205gr. RNFP
100 .458 500gr. RNFP
500 Lrg Rifle Primers CCI
4Lb. Goex FFG
1Lb. Goex FFFG
1Lb Unique

& this is the stuff that I can think of right at this tired time...
No I'm not ready for WW3 but am ready to have some fun & if necessary
do my part to keep the BG at bay for some time & meat on the table...

i have about
65lbs of soft lead,
55 lbs of hard lead cast,
2000 large rifle primers,
1000 handgun primers,
2000 shotgun primers
20lbs of 7 1/2 shot
1000 + wads for 12 guage
2000+wads for 44 cal
im low on caps
#10 about 400
#11 about 400

.454 balls Cast i have around 900 made
50 cal R.E.A.L bullets about 600
.309 170 grain flat nose 500
309 150 grain flat nose 500
.309 120 grain round nose 200
9mm 400 round nose
45cal 300 round nose, 300 flat nose
357 300 swc 158 grain

Powder
2lbs Win 748
2lbs Trail boss
1lbs H4598
2lbs Unique
1lbs H4198
2 lbs Goex 3f
1 lbs Goex 2f
1 lbs 777 2f
1 lbs 777 3
1 lbs pyrodex ps

And well thats all that i can think of

shells ready loaded
about 300round 30-30 about 1000 empty
9mm about 500 rounds
45acp about 300
30-06 about 200
12 guage about 200
410 guage about 200

It helps when you cast your own. So really all i need is powder and primers. Need to stock up on #10 and #11. None of this stuff is internet order though. i can buy it all local. I just stock up so i dont have to keep going back and forth to the gun shop. Stupid local shop is open tuesday through saturday from 11pm to 7pm. usually im at work or on my way home. Except for saturday. But thats when im at the range. So i have to find time to go there. As for the lead . i buy the lead from reliable sources on ebay. Now for the black powder within the next month iim going to be making my own. So will see how that goes.

any where around 1.10-1.20 a lbs. there is a guy on Handloads.com selling lead good stuff 55lbs for 60. delivered to your door. Which isnt bad considering the weight. just type in lead on ebay. then when the next page opens up. click on sporting goods on the left. Your looking for fishing weight pure lead for black powder.

:cool::cool:

I'm pretty stocked up already. I cast about 120 lbs of lead this winter and still have about 30 lbs left. Also have a plumber buddy who gives me FREE pure lead which is a huge bonus. I've cast over 1000 .575 lyman minie balls, over 1000 .454 lyman round balls, 1000 .375, 400 or so .678 round balls for my .69 Springfield smoothie, couple hundred .530 balls for my Hawken with more to come from my spare lead.

I have about 1300 musket caps, I think about 3000 #10 remington caps for the pistols and Hawken, just bought 3' of good felt to make my own wads.

And finally, I'm sitting on about 30 lbs of Goex powder about evenly 2f and 3f.

Yeah, I think I'm set for a bit. Don't have to spend one dime on shooting all summer, just the way I like it.

:D:D

there is no such thing as winter here in Kalifornia. i have been shooting non stop at least 5 times a month for years. I can never build my lead supply or my bullet supply high enough as i keep on shooting

been stocking up on some of my "oddball" ammo; 32mag, 35wsl...and some bulk 9mm (remington UMC $60 for 250).
need stuff to fill up the new safe!:)

i guess its kinda like winterizing your guns. i never heard of such a thing. Then i read all sorts of stuff from guys in november december. about what they have to do to lube up there guns head to toe. then use humidifiers and stuff in there safes. for long storage.

Never heard of such a thing. every gun gets shot at least once a month. my guns never sit long enough i guess to collect rust. i have taken my WALKER apart probably 8 times since january. that is after every other shooting. 1st shooting i just remove the barrel and cylinder. clean them up really good. oh i remove the nipples too. after the second shooting the whole gun gets torn apart. In fact today i went shooting this morning. i spent over 2 hours when i got back taking my revolvers apart and cleaning them all up.

I don't care if it's cold out, if the urge hits me to shoot, I go out & shoot, even my Archery gear really doesn't get a break much..

i have taken my WALKER apart probably 8 times since january

Screw wearer outer.:eek::D In all those times have you ever found anything in there to warrant taking it all the way down?

spent caps. a lot of bp build up. slows down the action. Yesterday it failed to set off caps and i had to leave the range with 3 cylinders full. When i got home and took it apart it had 3 or 4 pieces of caps inside the works. I guess thats what happens after a few hundred rounds or so. Thats why i can neve keep enough supplies on hand. i shot over 150 rounds yesterday. through my 1851 and my WALKER.

I don't have a Walker but my 58's and 60 don't get pieces of caps inside the action. I get one between the cylinder and frame once in awhile and any residue in the action washes out by swishing it around in hot soapy water. I haven't torn any of mine completely down in several months but I guarantee you if I tore them down right now they'd be clean as a whistle inside.

you dont shoot them enough. my problem is i need to change the nipples i am going to order a set today. Those caps just dont stay on and pieces just seem to go everywhere.

you dont shoot them enough
First time I've ever been told that.:D If you raise the muzzle and tilt it to the right slightly when you cock the Colt's they won't be so prone to binding on cap particles.

Back