Anyone shoot both 4" and 6" barreled .357 mag?

I had a 6 inch Ruger Service Six and found it a bit barrel heavy. Got a 4 inch GP100 the full lug barrel was just as front heavy.
Now I have a 681 a little better balanced but that is probably because of the square grip frame.

I've owned them all. There isn't much difference in comfort shooting 4" vs 6". There is a big difference when you get below 4" however. For my use 4" is the ideal compromise.

All things being equal the 6" gun will average about 100-150 fps more speed. When looking at BBTI consider this. The numbers they get from a single barrel as it is cut down gives a much more accurate comparison for barrel lengths. Those numbers will likely be faster than you'd get from a real gun with that barrel length since they don't account for cylinder length, but the relationship of speeds generated between different barrel lengths is more accurate since the data is from the same barrel

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

When you compare velocity between different guns of the SAME barrel lengths differences of over 100 fps isn't unusual. And it wouldn't be unusual for my 4" gun to shoot faster than your 6" gun. But those are anomalies, not the norm.

You get a slightly longer sight radius and most people will shoot the longer barrel more accurately.

If I were looking for a dedicated long range or hunting handgun the longer the better. But if I need more than 4" in a revolver barrel I'd just as soon carry a carbine.

Two Ruger Security-Six 4 inch barrel. Firing the same ammo over the same chronograph within seconds of each other. One had velocity that was 200 fps slower than the other. The slight differences in the manufacturing process of pistol barrels can make more difference than the length of the barrel. My six inch shoots 23 fps faster than my 4 inch with the same loads over the same chronograph. There is little difference in muzzle flash and recoil.

I have had two 4", one 6", and a 6.5". One 4" was stolen. I still have the rest. I shoot them a lot.

The 4" are handier and easier to carry, that is what I use for HD.

The 6" or 6.5" can feel kind of nose-heavy, but the felt recoil is less. They are also more accurate for me, but that might just be me. I shoot a lot better with a longer sight radius.

I've got a full barrel lugged 4' - Colt Python to get exact. I wouldn't change a thing. Feels very balanced. Any more front heavy and I feel I'd be a little too much. 357 shoots very smoothly.

I have a Dan Wesson 15-2 and a 715 in both 4" and 6" full lug shrouded barrels. along with a no lug shroud for the 4" barrels. The difference in the recoil between 4" and 6" heavy barrels is not all that much, but there is a noise difference that's noticable. With the lighter 4" shroud, there is a big difference. I like the heavy barrels a lot better when shooting heavy loads.

My Coonan Classic has a 6 inch barrel. I also have a ruger vaquero with a 4 inch barrel... So I guess I have both. (Both are 357 magnums)

The Coonan is significantly faster but thats it what one would expect with no cylinder gap and a longer barrel.

Back