Anyone shoot any FULLY automatic weapons in here?

warbirdlover

I used to live in the mountains of NC and there was a local gun shop that had a range out behind it. All of the guys that worked there and many of their customers had licenses to own fully automatics (mostly Uzi's). Certain nights during the week after closing they would all go behind the store to the range and fire off all these Uzi's and they let me watch one night. Pretty cool stuff.

So I got to wondering just how "common" this was and how many of these "licenses" were actually issued.

You pay a tax for the gun, suppressor, etc. There are no licenses involved, unless youre a dealer.

If your state allows them, you need to find the gun or whatever, and file the paperwork with the ATF. You need to get fingerprinted, a set of passport photos, and your local chief LEO's signature. They do a background check on you, and issue the stamp. Once the stamp comes back, these days, in about 4-6 months, you can pick up your new toy.

Done rentals in Vegas a couple times. Thompson and a MP40. Fun, but I wouldn't want to have to afford to feed one.

The only thing keeping me from getting fully automatic is the very high $$$. Even then after you get one, shooting it will cost a 2nd mortgage.

At my last base, I was one of the cadre for the schoolhouse. We would put on demonstrations for various classes where we displaced a lot of myths about what bullets will and won't do. Needless to say, I played with a LOT of full autos from around the world! Yeah, cool job!:D I think my favorite though must have been the Swedish K. The Thompson had soul, the silenced STEN was like a full auto BB gun, the MAC-10 shot like hell on wheels, both the AUG and Galil were cool but the old Swede just chugged along staying right on target every time. That job and Thai food are the only two things I miss about Florida!

I've shot a M50 Reising, and both an Uzi and mini-Uzi. I'm a full auto greenhorn, but I'm fortunate enough to have decent technique (lean into the weapon, short bursts, not tempted to let rip in one burst).

It's fun, and I definitely want to take a trip to Knob Creek, but it just doesn't thrill me like it does other people I know. A good trigger on a semi-automatic can deliver a decent percentage of lead as a full auto can, and put a lot more lead on target.

Now, flamethrowers? I heard there's been times when you could rent one at Knob Creek. That I'm All Over!

129087435788477812.jpg

I'm a security guard for the department of the army. I've gotten to go full auto with an M16a1 and an M249 SAW.

for the record I think the regulations against fully automatics and other class III weapons are unconstitutional.

for the record I think the regulations against fully automatics and other class III weapons are unconstitutional.
The "tax" is within the Constitution and was the only way they could pull their little end run off back when there was still some concern about looking like they cared. They didnt "ban" the guns, simply taxed them, and at a rate that was very prohibitive at the time. Luckily for us, they havent adjusted it for inflation. Last I heard, it would be around $3000 if they did.

Fired a MAC .45 belonging to a CWP instructor. I was NOT impressed. The first round would go downrange, and the rest soon became triple A no matter how I gripped the thing.

Thats because you were trying to hold it down, instead of just relaxing and riding the gun. The technique is more like riding a fire hose than it is shooting a gun. You dont fight the hose, you use its energy and just keep guiding it to where you want it to go. Its easy to learn once youre shown the way, and full mag dumps are pretty easy to do.

Back