Anyone need an inexpensive single shot shotgun?

I heard about those. Seems like there would always be a reliable niche market for singles. Obviously just the old H&R design under another name. I suspect the street price will be in the $140-$150 range. Walmart had the H&Rs for +/-$130 just a few years ago.

You can find good condition H&R pardners for $100 all over the country in gun shops and pawn shops.

Without getting political/religious, I don't like to support Turkey.

I agree with Model12Win. There are plenty used shotguns on the market in the places he mentioned. I have a half dozen in my gun case acquired over the last few years from $40.00 up to $250.00. Most are pump action. The last one, an older Remington 870 Wingmaster, was purchased a couple of months ago for $220.00.

There is not much that can go wrong with a single shot or pump action shotgun.

I'm for light weight toting scatterguns.
My favorite hunting pals. Just a three-some of old Iver Johnsons single shots. One is a 12 ga. 2-3/4s the other is a 410 3-inch and the third I inherited {28 ga. thats a safe queen}. I had the 410s chamber reamed >lengthened so to shot 3"

If a special occasion arises and calls for a modern 2 shot scatter-gun. Have a Citori Lighting 20 ga. for that purpose also..

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/shotguns/citori/current-production/citori-lightning.html

need

Any well run country place, farm, woodsy cabin, lodge or ranch, can likely find good use for single barrel. I've heard such old guns called barn guns, truck guns, etc. Mine's beside the water heater.

I picked up an old H&R 1905 small frame in .410 for $105 a little while back.
A few days later, a .44 Shot barrel was on its way to me for $50 (black powder and smokeless powder father of the .410).
And, just a couple days later, I traded a crappy Cobra derringer for an H&R Topper 58 in .30-30 at an agreed value of $65 ... in a gun shop ... with a scope and bi-pod on the H&R!

Almost no one wants single-shots now, unless they are in one of the "exposed hammer, single-shot" primitive weapon hunting states (and it's a rifle in .35 Whelen or .444 Marlin).

Savage is trying to corner a market that's already dead.
The only people still buying single-shot shotguns are people stuck in the past, the few remaining souls that appreciate a single-shot, and the people that are incredibly, stubbornly cheap, but refuse to buy a used gun.

That being said...
I need another 20 ga.
I may have a look at them. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Where I live in the remote mountains, single shot shotguns are sitting in closets with no demand for them. They last forever since they are not shot much and are used only for hunting and varmints. I recently sold 2 for $50 each because I'd had them for decades and never shot them because I have two pump shotguns. I agree that they are making a gun where there is very little market for them.

Well actually they are not cornering anything , Henry came out with some earlier in the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i like the simple honesty of a single h&r/nef. my under the bed, bump in the night single is a 20ga, 20" that i found last year at a pawn shop for $120. when i cleaned it up i literally found hay under the forearm. singles can be run fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
3061dab0d67a133762e13964772c8942.jpg

Last edited:
Almost no one wants single-shots now, unless they are in one of the "exposed hammer, single-shot" primitive weapon hunting states

Trap shooters might beg to differ with their single shots priced in the 4 digit range.

I think the days of the $100 single shot are long, what I see at gun shows

start at $150.

Gun shows are for the uninformed. I recently sold a 20 an 16 gauge for $50 each here in the mountains after finding no takers at $75. They were decent and shot well.

Trap shooters might beg to differ with their single shots priced in the 5 digit range.
Fixed that for ya...............

Almost makes a man ashamed to put a lowly Browning BT-99 up on the gun rack in the midst of all the Perazzis, Krieghoffs, Ljutics and Zolis. I feel like I want to cover it up or something, pretend it's not mine.

Back