Anyone know if Heritage replaces backstrap screws for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthTellers

Was shooting my Heritage today and one of the screws that holds the backstrap to the frame fell out and I could not find it. I'll be real unhappy if they won't replace any lost screws that fell out after less than 500 rounds.

I've heard heritage backs up their products, but I have no experience with their CS. Really, they are the ones you should be asking.

I have friend who is hassling right now with Herritage over cylinder locking up. I think he has already sent it in for service. I told him not to buy it but he blew me off.

I'm sure they'll send you the screw(s), if you call.

But you really shouldn't expect anything less than screws falling out and parts rattling loose, at their price and quality level.
Maintenance on cheap guns (moreso than higher quality guns) requires regular hardware checks. Screws tight? Pins in place? Springs squirting out through cracks?

I've told the story before, so there isn't much point in repeating it. Short version:
Myself and a salesman managed to break an entire store's inventory of Rough Riders, simply by seeing if they were empty ... and if they made it past that point, by checking to see if they functioned correctly. Total freak occurrence. There's no way they're ALL that bad. But, it was one helluva a special day and that store had to send all of their Rough Riders back for repair, before they were even sold.

^ Hindsight is always 20/20. If I get the screw from them they're getting a dab of blue loctite and checked before and after each range trip.

FrankenMauser said:
I've told the story before, so there isn't much point in repeating it. Short version:
Myself and a salesman managed to break an entire store's inventory of Rough Riders, simply by seeing if they were empty ... and if they made it past that point, by checking to see if they functioned correctly. Total freak occurrence. There's no way they're ALL that bad. But, it was one helluva a special day and that store had to send all of their Rough Riders back for repair, before they were even sold.
That's a rather sad story. It just shows that "they don't make 'em like they used to."

In the early 1960's, I bought an inexpensive .22 six shooter. I think it was made in Germany, and it cost $25 at the time. (That's about $185 today.) I'm pretty certain it had a Zamak frame, but it felt solid, the action was smooth, and it never gave me any problems for decades.

Sadly, when I moved in 1995 the little six-gun was nowhere to be found. One of life's mysteries. I replaced it with a Ruger Single Six, but that's another story and a different class of firearm.

Give 'em a call. I'm sure they'll get you taken care of.

Sadly, when I moved in 1995 the little six-gun was nowhere to be found. One of life's mysteries. I replaced it with a Ruger Single Six, but that's another story and a different class of firearm.
My father had a Sterling .22 pistol disappear for a few years (also about 1995).
No clue what had happened to it. We looked "everywhere".
Then, one day, the step mother found it encrusted in what had once been a bag of liquefied potatoes, in the back of the pantry.
:rolleyes:

Driftwood Johnson said:
May I humbly suggest rather than loctite you put a dab of fingernail polish on the threads?
As one who has been using Loctite on threads for automobiles for over fifty years and on firearms for just a bit less, I have to ask: Why do you think fingernail polish is better than a product that is specifically engineered to perform the task at hand?

As one who has been using Loctite on threads for automobiles for over fifty years and on firearms for just a bit less, I have to ask: Why do you think fingernail polish is better than a product that is specifically engineered to perform the task at hand?

How many really small screws are there in an automobile?

With very fine threads, even blue locktite can be difficult to remove a screw if necessary.

That is why I prefer fingernail polish for very small, very fine screws. It fills up the threads and secures the screw, but it the screw is easy to back out if necessary.

Driftwood Johnson said:
With very fine threads, even blue locktite can be difficult to remove a screw if necessary.
Yep. That's why they have purple (light hold) Loctite. Blue is medium hold, for fasteners (IIRC) 1/4" and larger.

I keep a bottle of clear nail polish in my shop for small fasteners. The hold is just right and a bottle is a three lifetimes supply.

Why don’t you just order two screws from them and you will have a spare and the incident will not be so traumatic. Perhaps a check of the remaining screws would be in order before they too become an issue.

Screws loosen. FWIW, I check them before I even shoot a new gun. I use purple Loctite on any I have a concern about loosening. I would think the manufacturer would just send you a new one.

1. For a while, Heritage was interesting because of it’s price point. I bought a Bearcat instead. I may yet get the new cheap Ruger, just because. I dread the day I see one in a showcase at a bargain price. A good revolver will still be shooting in 100 Years. I don’t mind paying a little more.

2. No one ever had a thread “will Ruger customer service take care of me”.. one reason I prefer Ruger and pay a fraction more- they take care of me and earned a little loyalty.

3. Loc-Tite for me. Blue or Red, know the difference. nail polish has its place for exterior use. Loc Tite earned its place after I attended some of their training sessions. They have amazing industrial adhesives, too.

1. For a while, Heritage was interesting because of it’s price point. I bought a Bearcat instead. I may yet get the new cheap Ruger, just because. I dread the day I see one in a showcase at a bargain price. A good revolver will still be shooting in 100 Years. I don’t mind paying a little more.

2. No one ever had a thread “will Ruger customer service take care of me”.. one reason I prefer Ruger and pay a fraction more- they take care of me and earned a little loyalty.
When Ruger makes a 9 shot Wrangler with a 6" barrel and adjustable sights, I'll buy it.

Dunno if that will happen this decade tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back