Anyone kill a deer with a 44 Mag rifle?

Hollow points made for a handgun break up from the higher velocity.
I haven't seen any evidence of that using XTP's in several weights.

The only one I've ever recovered was a 300 gr at about 1600 fps that got close to 36" of penetration on a buck at around 60 yards

No, but I did with a single shot pistol (Lone Eagle / SSP 86) in .357 Maximum with 158 SJ SPs. I was disappointed in the performance - no exit hole meant weak blood trail. By the time I found it the next morning - well, the coyotes ate a lot more of it than I did. Then again, sometimes you can get that kind of weak blood trail from full powered rifles. But this was a little 2.5 year buck and it went a long ways, relative to others (150 yards), so I feel like it's safe to say that performance was definitely "less than ideal".

One year I did hunt with a .44 magnum revolver for a couple of days (Taurus RB 8 3/8ths), but never got a shot.

I haven't seen any evidence of that using XTP's in several weights.

I have to agree. I think people tend to mistakenly lump all "hollow points" into the one category of the semi-jacketed type of which I saw my own failure many years ago. I've never seen an XTP, the Hornaday real deal, fail on deer. I've never tried semi-jacketed soft points, but I doubt they would hold together as well as an XTP in a heavy bone hit, but certainly better than a semi-jacketed HP.

The .44mag. penetrates deeply enough and is tough enough that with proper bullet choice it will kill deer very handily. It is FAR FAR less tolerant of poor shot placement than is a high energy rifle cartridge. Hit them right and you are good. Miss the vitals a bit, dont expect the shock wave to be big enough to compensate for poor shot placement.

Grandma gets a 220 lb bear with Ruger 44 mag rifle !
It would take 4 of him to match the one killed not far from here a few years ago, but the guy used a 12 GA with slugs on the big boy.

http://www.americanbear.org/Size.htm

What is the record weight of an American black bear?
The world record weight for an American black bear is 880 pounds. This was the recorded weight of a 10.75 year-old male bear shot in North Carolina in November 1998.

I'd want some 300 grain XTP's in my Marlin 1894S for one that size.
Most any good 44 bullet will handle deer quite well

180 XTP's

From a carbine, my experience is that the 180 XTP is too soft, and borders on frangible, especially at closer ranges. See my comments regards a buck shot broadside at under 10 yds in another post. That slug just fragmented. Another with the same load, slipped its jacket, and was found in two separate pieces, core and jacket. Two dead deer, two recovered ( well sort of) slugs. HOrnady describes the 180 XTP as expanding at lower velocities, and at the speed a carbine can generate, they are frangible. None of these hit major bones, all ribcage/lung shots.

The 200 XTP do not seem to consistently exit either, but I have recovered two of them, intact, with complete, near inside out expansion. Much better.

I have never seen a 240 recovered from a deer, either the 2-3 I have shot with that weight, or the 10 or so my dad killed with a Win 94 and 240's ( of mixed slug type)

That's like the 444 which originally used handgun bullets but of course driven much faster.Bullets broke up easily.
Later the twist was increased for heavier rifle bullets.

I've had several Ruger 44 mag carbines....The last one was topped with a Redfield 2 3/4 power scope....It was a good 100 yrd gun....I shot Norma special carbine 44 mag ammo....Deer were no problem....

Attachments

• acf6e5c.jpg
    acf6e5c.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 80
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 72
  • acf6e5d.jpg
    acf6e5d.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 75
For the conditions you're describing I'd save myself the money on a new gun, the higher cost of ammo, and my shoulder the extra recoil, and stick with the 44.

I got the Ruger in the picture when I was 14 and I'm still using it at 53. If or when it breaks and I can still hunt I'll probably get a Henry or Marlin. I've always used a good quality 240 JHP loaded a little on the hot side because that's more or less what the Ruger was designed to shoot. Back in the 60's there wasn't a lot of 44mag ammo to choose from. I've got a 3-point carbine sling on mine which has proven very, very handy.

These days there are dozens or more of 44mag choices and a good lever gun lets you pick and choose from all of them. Plus you can use 44spc for practice and plinking and save a few bucks.

Ruger_zps30f5dfed.jpg

Last edited:
Gentlemen,
Thank you, for the informative replies, photos and suggestions. :)

I've decided against the 45-70 purchase and will be hunting with my Henry .44 Mag., this season. This is my 3rd Henry rifle purchase and I've loved everyone of them and they've never let me down. :cool:

The rest of my "gun money" will go towards a Savage 11-VT, in .243, for coyote hunting and a Remington Versa Max for goose hunting. :D

Bowhunter57

vintage

Keg, that is some vintage .44 ammo!! Seems like I read somewhere that the Norma truncated .44 had a mild steel jacket, could that be?

Coincidentally, one of my old Ruger .44 carbines wears a 2-3/4x REdfield Widefield. Traded for the the scope, which was in need of repair. Gave the guy a Browning FISHING ROD! Sent the scope back to Denver, to the original Redfield people, and they fixed it up, free.

I kill them with a Ruger Deerhunter every year. All ranges out to 140 yards. Perfect performance and plenty of gun. One of my favorites.

The 240 XTP is at the top of its performance envelope, jacket separations are common. However it always happens after the job is done of the far side, almost invariably with the core exiting and the jacket hanging up on the off side skin. I have no reason to change.

Keg, that is some vintage .44 ammo!! Seems like I read somewhere that the Norma truncated .44 had a mild steel jacket, could that be?

Coincidentally, one of my old Ruger .44 carbines wears a 2-3/4x REdfield Widefield. Traded for the the scope, which was in need of repair. Gave the guy a Browning FISHING ROD! Sent the scope back to Denver, to the original Redfield people, and they fixed it up, free.

I can't tell ya much about the ammo..but it worked on deer & hogs....

That old Redfield 2 3/4 power scope was perfect on my Ruger 44.... Sounds like you got a bargain Bamaranger....

norma truncated

Hey Keg, do you still have some of that Norma truncated, or just pics.

If you do, see if the jacket/slug will "pull" a magnet.

Hey Keg, do you still have some of that Norma truncated, or just pics.

If you do, see if the jacket/slug will "pull" a magnet.

Naw...It's long gone....the 44 too..I've owned several..they all gone....:(

Mom had one of the Ruger semi auto 44 mag rifles took a lot of deer with it in MI not sure what happened to the rifle after her and my stepdad passed.
Up till then she used a Marlin in 25-35.

Not a 44 mag rifle but a 45 colt rifle. Also I shot a big doe at 130 yards with a 44 mag 14" contender. That bullet hit the leading edge of her shoulder and came out behind her ribs and still had steam left. . Same kind of story with the 45 colt rifle, except not as far.

The thing is, heavy cast 300 grain bullets pushed by H110. When I stepped away from jacketed and shot cast I never looked back.

The reason I don't shoot 44 mag is that most have a 1-38 twist barrel, not fast enough for heavies.

Back