Anyone in here carry a .22 pistol for a CHL weapon?

Actually, YES! When dressed in a manner making concealment an issue, I've got a High Standard O/U that's thin and small. My theory has always been that the best self defense handgun is the one you have with you. I lean towards 15 pound rifles with 'bout a yard of barrel on 'em, but sometimes you have to make compromises!;)

Yes. Walther P22c. CCI/Speer Velocitor JHPs. The only "iffy" part is the rear sight. The leather is a Don Hume paddle for a Glock 36 that fits well.

I used to carry a Beretta 21A in .22LR, but not now. There are larger caliber guns that are smaller than the 21A, so I'm considering those at BUG's.

jmm

Back a long time ago, I used to carry an Iver Johnson .22LR pistol in an ankle holster. Gosh, what was I thinking? :confused:

Now I use a Glock 27 in an ankle holster in its place! :)

Yes, I am actually using my P22c as a CCW. I am considering authoring a piece on a budget 22 CCW/HD pistol. The Walther P22c military model in OD/black with 3.4" barrel is the subject. I am trying to figure out WHAT to try for the rail. E2D Defender, laser or the red dot?

Until last Christmas, . . . my son's 4 in Browning Buckmark was my backup when the .45 couldn't go with me.

It holds 10, . . . with a spare magazine in an off pocket, . . . loaded with standard velocity solid points, . . . would never feel undergunned with it.

I know what it will do in my hands and there ain't no bg out there that wants to find out the hard way.

Yes, . . . given the choice, . . . my .45 ACP is #1, . . . Bersa Thunder .380 is now second choice (Christmas present :D ;) :D ), . . . and the Buckmark is now 3rd choice, . . . but it is a good choice.

May God bless,
Dwight

I have often thought that if you are practicing with the .22 a lot a quick three shots from a .22LR into the centre of mass or head will stop a lot of arguments.

Taurus PT-22

Yea, I was carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT which spent more time traveling for repair than in my pocket. So, when it wasn't around, I'd carry my little Taurus PT-22, .22LR, 8+1 of CCI Velocitors. Was a reliable little gun and fun to shoot, was just twice as fat and twice as heavy as the Kel-Tec. Had simple sights but was very accurate. Tip-up barrel made it easy for my wife to use. Was cheap too. I bought the dual-tone blue/nickle with Rosewood grips for $200. Cool little gun.

I used to carry a PT-22 myself. I still wish I had a small .22 for hiking. I recommend carrying a .22 if you have nothing else.....but one should work toward buying a larger caliber for CCW. I like them for hiking.....lots of light weight ammo shoot shoot for fun and you are protected (somewhat) from Bad guys or mountain lions with sensitive ears.

Yes, I have carried the .22 as a BUG, or when nothing else was readily available. I have hunted with one since I was a itty bitty tot, and I am very familiar with thier accuracy.

I run 9mm everywhere.... But I have carried my Taurus PT-22 when, for instance, going to a friends to work on a car, or some other low risk, nasty dirty oily situation. It has a tip up barrel, magazine disconnect, manual safety, and a ludicrously long and heavy trigger. Just dump it in some cargo pants pocket and go.

I have every intention of carrying the Walther P22 after I buy it. Just a theory, but 10 shots COM in 2-3 seconds is just as good as 1-2 shots with a 9mm. I have always been fond of 22's anyway, though.

My .22 will easily shoot through a truck door and tighter/quicker patterns are usually easier to achieve with a .22, what more do you need? Home protection is another thing but with 2-30rd and 1-50rd magazines if it came down to it I would feel totally comfortable holding the ruger (not my first choice though) it quickley turns a 3/4ton chevy p-up door to swiss cheese!:D

Rex Applegate claimed he carried a .22 automatic for a while (probably a Hi-Standard or Colt) on the same theory that he could more easily make hits. He also carried a S&W hammerless pocket revolver (a .38 S&W breaktop) in a unique holster of his own design. He actually had to use it once and it didn't perform up to his expectations, though he managed. It was after that that he encouraged S&W to produce the original Centennial in .38 Special.

Both my father, now deceased, and my father-in-law managed to get by with nothing more than a .22 handgun for anything they needed to shoot, mostly snakes in the case of my father.

I have been carrying a Ruger SP101 for years, but have been considering a move to the walther P22. Even if I decide not to use it for CC....what a cool gun to target shoot with :D

I don't know if multiple .22 hits are better one 9mm hit, or any combination of comparisons as such.

But I DO know, that a .22 is better than absolutely no firearm, which is what I would carry if the Taurus did not fill that role.

I've never made the argument that the .22 is superior to anything else, except for bare hands. If it doesn't fire, its no worse than starting with bare hands. If it jams, its no worse than bare hands. If the rounds fail to stop the assailant, again, no worse than bare hands. I went the first 21 years of my life without carrying guns, and sometimes still do. (and live to tell.) So if I'm already wearing something condusive to throwing a .22 in, why not?

PLATED,
If you decide that you are not going to carry it, do consider a Ruger MK or Browning Buckmark for target shooting, as they are very accurate, with good triggers, and great reliability reputations. The Walther isn't bad but it does get alot of negative reviews, and lemons get out regularly.

If you decide that you are not going to carry it, do consider a Ruger MK or Browning Buckmark for target shooting, as they are very accurate, with good triggers, and great reliability reputations. The Walther isn't bad but it does get alot of negative reviews, and lemons get out regularly.

Thanks for that info, I guess I need to read some review on them. As for both of the recomendations... I currently own a Ruger MKII, and have shot my father's Browning buckmark on many outings. I love both of those pistols for targets:p

**publically admits to being a rimfire junkie**

I must admit that the Walther appeals to me from the look and feel side of things (only) so far. I have held them at a local shop and gun show so far(no range time). For the price point....it will eventually make its way into my inventory I am sure. Maybe I won't get a lemon, and I will not be expecting the accuracy of the above mentioned firearms. If it performs well, and proves itself reliable....I could see myself using it as a CCW on light dress summer outings.

Back