Anyone here own a Colt Vest Pocket 25?

Since he has provided no information, I must assume that Groundhog's "I have one" means 'a .25 auto' -- something like a Beretta Jetfire, or Cobra/Raven/Phoenix or Jennings.
They are all notably bigger than the Vest Pocket or Schmeisser patent guns - usually all less reliable, as well - but the unexposed and unaware often lump everything together.
-A bit like people that see mention of a Colt Mustang .380 and chime in with their diatribe on why it sucks so much, based solely on their time spent shooting a Hi-Point or Beretta BB (obviously a different class of pistol).

But, there are plenty of Vest Pockets floating around that have been abused, beaten, modified, and Bubba-smiffed into unreliability.

I talked to a local gun smith, but he said he would not work on it, because in his experience, no 25 autos are reliable.

Perhaps you should find a better gunsmith. I have many many reliable .25 ACP pistols.
As a machinist if I turned away a customer because I didn't like the type of part he'd brought me to fix I'd have been out of business long ago, it's the customer's choice as to what he likes.
To me there are many kinds of gunsmiths, a lot of them stay mostly with rifles, some like revolvers and a few don't like automatics because they don't know how to make them run. I think smiths who enjoy tuning autos are rare, they are the one's to take a jammomatic to.

Since he has provided no information, I must assume that Groundhog's "I have one" means 'a .25 auto' -- something like a Beretta Jetfire, or Cobra/Raven/Phoenix or Jennings.
They are all notably bigger than the Vest Pocket or Schmeisser patent guns - usually all less reliable, as well - but the unexposed and unaware often lump everything together.
-A bit like people that see mention of a Colt Mustang .380 and chime in with their diatribe on why it sucks so much, based solely on their time spent shooting a Hi-Point or Beretta BB (obviously a different class of pistol).

But, there are plenty of Vest Pockets floating around that have been abused, beaten, modified, and Bubba-smiffed into unreliability.

I frankly think lumping a Beretta Jetfire with a Raven/Jennings is a poor call. I have had all three and found the Beretta to run very well with ball ammo. The Jennings was a POS and the Raven not at all bad for a pot metal firearm. The Beretta is a major cut above those two.

I had a failure New Years Day with my Coly Vest Pocket. I was at my sisters for lunch and my Brother-in-law was interested in the little jewel. I unloaded it and field stripped it and the firing pin broke.

Best possible handgun failure imaginable.

New firing pin on the way from Numrick and in the mean-time I'm carrying the slightly older FN version. My Colt VP was made in 1919 while the FN was made in 1913 or 1914.

I frankly think lumping a Beretta Jetfire with a Raven/Jennings is a poor call. I have had all three and found the Beretta to run very well with ball ammo. The Jennings was a POS and the Raven not at all bad for a pot metal firearm. The Beretta is a major cut above those two.
Indeed.
I was referring mostly to their larger size with that statement. But I did thrown in lesser reliability, because I believe the Berettas to be a bit more finicky than the Colts and Schmeisser patents.

They made over 400,000 of 'em so there's plenty more out there & many in very good condition. I just picked one up that I'm gifting for Valentines Day-it will easily fit in a box of chocolates. I'm not sure i can get the grip safety depressed & pull the trigger without getting slide bite on my 4XL hand. It will be a nice addition to the JMB design collection & will look great next to its bigger brother the 1903 Pocket Hammerless.
rayVupYl.jpg

inUYVXMl.jpg

Back