Anyone here own a Colt Vest Pocket 25?

GaryED50

Thinking of getting one. What are they like? I have large hands would it be hard to control for me?
Vestpocket.jpg

GaryED50, I own one that is over 100 years old. As you know, in order to fire the gun you have to pull the trigger AND depress the grip safety at the same time. Having large hands makes this difficult because the grip safety is pretty small and is snuggled pretty far under the frame. I have a son-in-law with large hands and he struggles to fire the gun at all, because of this. I have small hands and have no problem. Controlling the gun isn't the problem for you. If possible, get your hands (literally) on one before you decide to buy, I think you'll see what I mean. Best of luck, Major

I have one and either it or the slightly older FN Browning Vest Pocket are almost always in my pocket. I would say I have average hands and have no issue with using it. Remember that these are designed to be used at BBD and generally held close to your body and pointed rather than aimed.

Attachments

• 20-small.jpg
    20-small.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 18-small.jpg
    18-small.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 94
I have long fingers, not necessarily "big", and I have spent a little time trying to figure out how I could shoot my, .25.
Holding the gun in the WEAK hand, with the index finger around the trigger guard, and my strong hand wrapped around the weak, actually seems to work pretty well; the strong hand has something to hold on to, the reach to the trigger is pretty normal, and I can use my usual "trigger finger".
No experience actually shooting that way.

Attachments

• N1908.jpg
    N1908.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 82
Not sure what you call large hands. I wear s size 8.5-9 glove, depending on the maker...

Had one of those ages ago, got rid of it as I"m not into .25s and for me it was a "two finger pistol" and a small one, at that.

THe trigger was heavy, there are about no sights, there is almost nothing to hang on to, and very little to hold to operate the slide. Plus the spring is kind of stiff. AND you have to hold it in just the right way or it won't work, due to the grip safety.

Its a finely executed example of what I consider a poor idea, and I wouldn't want to bet my life on one. if you're a collector, you ought to have one, just as an example of the type.

Got the one my FIL carried when he was Vegas PD in the 50s; my hands are wide but not really long fingers; it is a 2 finger grip at best

Yes, I have one. Thought it would be a great pocket gun but have problems getting it to feed reliability. Very cool to handle, however!

Personally think my Beretta 21A Bobcat is a better alternative.

I've always liked it. It looks like the end result of 2 1911's having to much to drink one night and 9 months later!! Tada!!

What’s to control? Just wrap yer paw around it and let go with a round or two. I fire mine every so often but mainly it is in a drawer in a safe, just too puny a caliber for self defense.

I had one… it was nice, but really didn’t like it. Zero use. Sold it.

Still have a .25… a Raven. Main reason, my dad had one. I can still remember him shoving it in his boot when we went into the city. Zero need for it, but something I like to have to remember that from way back when.

Take a look at . . .

Take a look at the Kel tek P3AT in 380. It's a touch bigger but comes close to vest pocket size.

Prof Young

I had one. It was not reliable. Frequent failures to feed. I tried different magazines, but that did not fix it. I tried adjusting the magazine lips, but that did not fix it. I talked to a local gun smith, but he said he would not work on it, because in his experience, no 25 autos are reliable. I might agree with that, because I also had other 25 autos that were not reliable. If you want a reliable tiny pocket pistol, there are some 380's that are only a little bit bigger and are much more reliable.

.25s are fine for anyone that can get the booger hooker into the trigger guard - even if only a "one-finger" gun.

I have average hands, but my Schmeisser .25 is still a one-finger grip.

I have one. It is a safe queen only. Why? Not reliable, inaccurate, ineffective caliber, not really safe to carry. A Glock 42 is not much larger a Rohbraugh smaller.

If you removed the barrel and mag from your Glock 42, I think you could store your .25 inside it?
The Glock and Rohrbaugh are both considerably larger than a Colt Vest Pocket.

Back