Anyone have night sights on a revolver?

XS Sight on my S&W "M&P 438"

XS sights come as direct options on the $800+ AirLite M&P 340 and M&P 360 Scandium J's. My aluminum 438, just like the $400 637/638/442/642, have integral front serrated blades that SUCK! XS makes a front site for said J's, part SW-0020N-3 (check the website). The instructions call for the front sight to be milled down, and the XS sight, which has a hollow portion, to be fit and epoxied on, so I had my local armorer do the job for $75. It's like a having a $850 M&P 340 without the expensive scandium, that's 3 oz heavier, night-capable, and a bit less half the cost (only difference is it can't shoot 357s, but theyre overrated). The final product is very unique looking, and I jokingly refer to it is my "M&P 438".

Attachments

• S&W 438 XS1.JPG
    S&W 438 XS1.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Manual - XS front site small.jpg
    Manual - XS front site small.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
For those who want one and don't know the difference, XS sights with tritium come in a big dot and standard dot size. The tritium vial is the same size on both sights. The white outer ring is larger on the big dot. The real thing you might want to consider is this: the big dot is .205" high and the standard dot is .185" high. So what you might ask. Well, here's the "so what". If you're interested in accuracy at all (and I know everyone isn't for different reasons) you will not be able to regulate your POA to your POI with the big dot unless you use some very heavy bullets in the gun. After almost two weeks of trying to do that, I just ordered the standard dot XS sight. The minor difference in height makes all the difference in POI. I bought the gun for a woods walking gun on my property where I encounter bear on a pretty regular basis. In fact, I've had some less than entertaining encounters with them at times. I want a gun that I can hit where I'm aiming and I needed to go to the standard dot to do that. My Ruger SP101 will put ten shots into 3.8" double action at 25 yards which is more than adequate with this gun, but they need to be on target. I get that with the 180XTP and 296 powder. Great, but not a load I want to practice with very much. Just some things to consider.

Back