Anyone have night sights on a revolver?

Mr. Hill

I'm thinking about acquiring a 3" or 4" .357 mag revolver to carry as a sidearm while camping, hiking or hunting. It gets pretty dark in the great outdoors, so tritium night sights might be a good idea. Anyone use night sights on a revolver? You don't see any factory night sights on revolvers, why is that?

Last edited:
Some of S&W Pro and PC revolvers do have Tritium night sights.
My M640 Pro is one such. I can see the sights well if my eyes are dark adapted. Not so well if I have been in a lighted room. Of course, what you are shooting has to have enough light on it be visible.
Tritium has a half life of about 12 years, so eventually the sights would get too dim to be useable.
My M640 Pro shoots low with most ammo, and I can't file the front blade down like I could with conventional front sights. I do like the sight picture that I get with these sights, and they are adjustable for windage, just not elevation.

Best,
Rick

I bought a used 2.5" S&W M19 with Meprolight night front and rear sights probably 10-12yrs ago. Still working good so far.

I'd love to have the night sights on my Smith model 60 with a 3 inch barrel. The problem of course is that you can't put night sights on a ramped front sight. Therein lies the problem. It makes the gun harder to draw. Best regards Rod

I had Meprolights installed on my 460V. Not so much for night time use, but the bright 3-dot setup works better for me in lo light conditions when hiding in the hemlocks waiting for deer.

I'd love to have the night sights on my Smith model 60 with a 3 inch barrel. The problem of course is that you can't put night sights on a ramped front sight.
First off sure you can my M60 pro has ramped front with tritium insert and second if you have a well made holster the front sight won't snag. I've shot and practiced quite a bit with non ramped front sights and never a snag.

I've a 2 1/8" SP101 like rogervzv's with a Mepro on it that I view kind of like a lawn sprinkler system.
Once you have it you view it as a necessity not an option.

The Model 60Pro, 357 does come with a Tritium front sight, but it's a pretty small one. For nighttime use, I find a CT laser grip much more useful.

Another vote for the XS Big Dot. Put one on my 38Scl. LCR. Mostly just to have a good dot front sight, but I think the little glow in the dark dot in the middle of the big dot is an additional plus.

XS big dots are great for social work, for the woods I prefer the XS standard for woods or really anything that might be shot at 25+ yards.

Thank you for the info and opinions. I'll have to think about the snagging issue. Night sights would seemingly be necessary for a woods & camping gun.

I have a S&W model 66 4" that I inherited, it has what I believe were night sights (greenish dots, one front, two on the rear), but they no longer glow, being at least 30, and possibly more than 40 years old now.

Night sights can be useful in low light. Once you know you have to shoot.
A good light, or a low light vision device might be more useful, to see what's out there in the woods, in the dark, so you can decide if you need to shoot, or not.

I have a S&W model 66 4" that I inherited, it has what I believe were night sights (greenish dots, one front, two on the rear), but they no longer glow, being at least 30, and possibly more than 40 years old now.
It's not terribly expensive to relamp them (assuming that they're Trijicons).

Back