Anyone have a S&W 659 that shot a lot of rounds?

The galling concern with the 659 and obsession with special lubrication is really overblown. Surfaces tend to polish smooth with modern gun steel not gall. A little oil now and then and you are good to go. Too much oil or grease makes a mess and because it attracts dirt makes a gun less reliable. The rails ae just guiding the slide from flying off the frame. It would not be unusual for there to be some rattle between the two and the most force is taken up by the recoil spring and surface of the frame that stops the barrel. Also the locking surfaces on the smith and wesson 3rd generation guns could theoretically gall against the frame but again I think the amount of pressure between the two surfaces is minimal. Wear is normal.

rc said:
The galling concern with the 659 and obsession with special lubrication is really overblown. Surfaces tend to polish smooth with modern gun steel not gall. A little oil now and then and you are good to go.
Galling was, indeed, a known problem with some of the earliest attempts at making semi-automatic pistols of stainless steel. If I remember correctly, the solution arrived at was to use different alloys of stainless for the slide and frame. Galling occurs most readily between parts made from the same alloy.

Whether or not the 659 was early enough to have been susceptible to this problem is beyond my meager knowledge.

I am pretty sure the slide of 659 is different SS composition to the frame. The frame seems to be softer, they look different all together.

One more observation about the S&W 659. No doubt it is rock solid, reliable and durable. But, I've always felt that a bit of custom work could really make this pistol shine. I'm sure the trigger could be improved. I'd bet the grip could be taken down some, especially the back-strap spring housing. Also, I think a more precise barrel/barrel-busing fit could help with accuracy.

But, there was just never any company that developed any premium after market parts for the 659. For that reason it is what it is and will always be a snapshot in time of a 1980's rock-solid 9mm used by many police forces.

Back