Anyone have a Kimber Solo that works?

Poor Colt seems to be trying anything to not go bankrupt again and appealing to their revolver fans seems the best bet as their semiautos pistols, that aren't 1911s, fizzled years ago.

If you haven't yet and get the chance to do so, try the da pull on the new Cobras/King Cobras. Maybe the smoothest and lightest double-action trigger pull on a revolver I've ever had the privilege of squeezing-and I've pulled a lot of them over the past fifty years or so. Too, the new Kimber comes in a close second in my estimation.

I believe you, I just don't know if that's enough to save them. Certainly will help, although the military contracts they got recently will help more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I had a S&W J-frame bind up in what would have been a catastrophic malfunction had it not happened while I was dry-firing. I was cycling about 120 miles a week and it was in a pocket holster in my riding jersey back pocket. My sweat turned the lithium grease inside the frame to paste.

Nothing like that ever happened to my Glock 26, and its a heck of a lot easier to clean the guts of a Glock than the guts of a J-frame.

I have nothing against auto pistols for self-defense if they're reliable and I own and rely on several makes and types. In fact, in thirty years of doing bi-annual qualification drills, using revolvers for the first fifteen years or so before my agency transitioned to autos, the only "malfunction" I ever experienced on the line was with a revolver, a Model 13 Smith & Wesson to be specific. As the shooting went on, the cylinder became harder and harder to turn and finally refused to budge. Our range officer knew exactly what to look for and, sure enough, a couple of flakes of powder had gotten behind the extractor star, eventually tying the gun up.

Once the change was made to autos, I was issued a Third Generation Smith & Wesson pistol, chambered in 9mm Luger. This gun never failed, even after firing hundreds of cheap agency reloads. However, even after all that is said, if you were to ask me which type of handgun, revolver or semi-auto, I would say might give a shooter less problems over time in terms of reliability, it would be the revolver. No worries with ammunition sensitivity, no springs to weaken, no magazine to fail and no extractor that might need tweaking/tuning.

Just my opinion based on my experience. I would never disagree with others who might opt for the auto based on their experiences. YMMV is an apt caveat.

Last edited:
I spent thirty years in LE and another ten part time running the firearms program (35 years as rangemaster) we went from revolvers to first, second and third Gen S&W semi autos then Glock. I carried a mod 60 as backup when needed but always carried an auto as my primary weapon. I rather doubt that today any significant percentage of CC holders are moving to revolvers. I have Kimber Micro 9, micro 380, Sig 938, Sig 238 and a G 42 for my usual carry but a Hi Power or 1911 are not far away. I still shoot that mod 60 but usually at tin cans.

Just my opinion based on my experience. I would never disagree with others who might opt for the auto based on their experiences. YMMV as is an apt caveat.

Point well taken. And I know for certain that I am to blame for my revolver's failure, had I done regular dry fire and range sessions with it I would have caught on to the fact that the lithium grease was starting to serve more like a glue and less like a grease as it became more polluted by sweat.

Back