Anyone have a CCU for their 1911 ??

Rob Pincus

I just ordered a Carbine Conversion Unit for the 1911. I know that there have been threads about these things before, but I don't remember anyone saying that they actually had one yet.......

Nope - But I have looked at them very hard.
I had been thinking about getting one - but could never bring myself to actually buy it.
Please give us a full report when you get it and shoot it.
I bet there are a few people herre interested.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

I'd be interested.

A while back, Springfield carried a single shot conversion for the 1911 types. I think you pulled the slide off and strapped a hunting/silhouette barrel on by use of a through-the-magazine well attachment system. you gave up the magazine for a single shot getter! Seems like it breech loaded from the rear by some kind of knob or plug.

I was very interested and once I got ready to order one, they had discontinued it for lack of interest. If I ever find one that someone wants to sell, I'd get excited all over again.

I'm really interested in those modern variations on an old theme.

------------------
Sensop

"Get your mind right and the body will follow." - Shino Takazawa, sinsei, hachi dan, Keishinkan do.
Sensop's Corner

Sensop - No - this is a totally different device. This turns your 1911 into a little rifle. With a seperate bolt mechanism and stock... its very clever.
Where is that URL for that?

Gun Part Corp also sells one in their catalog. At least it's in their 20th edition. Don't have 21st yet.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited February 02, 2000).]

It is listed in the Wilson Combat catalog also. I don't have it with me, but I think it was around $350.

Direct from the Factory it was $29x, but I've always seen the cost advertised as just over $300... so I was pleasantly surprised.

Sensop,

I remember the device you are talking about, and I was tempted by that one as well... but this one looks even cooler.

Anybody got a line on 10mm 1911 mags ???

Oh God, I'm in love.

I just went the link Chad posted. That thing is COOL!

George, I knew the CCU wasn't the same as the single shot conversion thing, but I had no idea the CCU was so neat.

I gotta have one! Seriously. Jesus! I'm sitting here having a fit over that thing!

I wonder if you can change out springs and shoot the .45 ACP Super? It says it will shoot +P ammo. I just happen to have a full-sized Springfield sitting around doing nothin. Hehe.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited February 02, 2000).]

Rob,

I don't have one but I've shot one a few times. Quite Fun. Mount a Electronic Dot and you're good to go. Not as accurate as a .40 AR upper but still alot better than using just a 1911 upper.

Great Harmonics also. Hehehe... You'll see! :D

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Schmit,

Actually, I have heard about the "Harmonics" and it is probably going to annoy the beans out of me!! Maybe the 10mm won't be so bad....

John,

Thanks for the URL. I will use it... hopefuly they will let me mix-n-match, I need .40 1911 mags too!!

Sensop,

I'll let you know how it works out ASAP. The girl on the phone was a little evasive about when they would ship. My first question was "do you hvae 10mm CCUs in stock?"
she said "yes".. so I went through the ordere process and she said it would ship in 5 to 7 days... So I said "DO, you have 10mm CCUs in stock?" She said, yes....probably.
So, I'll keep you posted......

> Maybe the 10mm won't be so bad....

OK... keep thinking that. ;)

Bang - hhhhhhhhhh Bang - HHHHHHHHHHH

:D

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)

Purchased Mechtech a few weeks back at a Tucson show. Mounted a BSA Red Dot and added
after market oak stock and slick matching
oak forgrip. ( like a Thompson tommy grip ).
The oak stock fastens within the existing
metal stock almost eliminating the harmonics.
The forgrip replaces the old one. You can,
also, buy matching 1911 grips. I ran 150
rnds. of 130grn. FMJ and 50 200grn.SWC.
NO failures of any kind. Had better accuracy
with the SWC. I was very pleased with the operation,feel and apperance. With a small
investment you have a nice little carbine.
It`s now available in 40. Soon to come are
Sig. 357. and the Glock family. The only drawback is the low cap. single stack and the unreliable nature of higher cap singles.
Going to find a H/C 1911 frame.
Anyway, I liked it.

Thanks,
easyday

OR NOT........

Mech-Tech called this morning to tell me that they were going to "hold off" on shipping my 10mm CCU. The lady explained that they had not been getting "as reliable feeding" as they would like out of the 10mm units and they were designing a new bolt face.
She said that they would be ready to ship in about 2 weeks and she was sure that I would want the improved design. I asked her if that was the same two weeks that I should've expected my "in stock" 10mm unit to be shipped or if this was a new two weeks starting now?

She got a little huffy, because she was only trying to do me a favor, apparently. ;)

I canked the order and told her to call me when they had a working product and I'd think about re-ordering.

Oh, well..... they looked cool.

------------------
-Essayons

Fiddlesticks!

Well, it sounds like they have a working 1911-type CCU anyway.

This CCU could be a BIG problem with the EPO!

Farkle!

Schmit

You said it's not as accurate as a .40 ar what type of mags does your .40 ar us,i have been thinking about getting a .40 upper.

KEVIN

Kevin,

Sorry if I gave the impression that I have a .40 AR. I don't.. a friend has both a .40 AR and CCu Carbine. I've shot both side by side. While I personally haven't shot either "for groups" it was much easier to hit the small steel gongs @ 50 yards with the AR.

Both were set up the same (red dot scope). Every one who shot them clanged the gongs faster and more times then with the CCU. Don't get me wrong the CCU is still very neat but in a "side by side"....

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)

fal308,

My Gun Part catalog is kinda old (No. 17), but the 1911-type carbine listed in it was different from the CCU by MechTech.

It's a 16 1/4 in barrel sticking out of the slide and a wood stock made onto a replacement mainspring housing.

Back