Anyone ever had problems with a LEO sign off?

Well I guess I'm not saying all basic DIY trust. I was just saying that particular one seemed extra basic. Most the horror story's are in regard to trustees and beneficiaries (which now that I think about it, I don't have any) I guess I'm just still on the fence. I have absolutely not one "real" correct reason for creating a trust to place property in. I've almost talked myself to death from both sides to the point of almost saying leave the dang thing as a pistol.

Assumption:
Lets assume that I get the receiver on the 8th. I then (fully documented) built the receiver into a pistol. Fill out and print my form 1, take it over to the PD and get it signed, get my fingers inked. Take the form 1 attach a mug shot. Then take my lower to be engraved, with the lower in hand correctly engraved an form 1 matching. I mail the form. I get approved and receive my tax stamp.

Question:
Years or even months down the road, I decide I'm going to add a couple SBRs a few more suppressors and who knows what else. And I decide to create a trust can I place that NFA item in the trust without refiling another form 1 and paying a 2nd tax stamp on the same firearm?

Last edited:
My understanding is if you get a tax stamp in your name then later want to put the iterm into a trust you need to pay for a new tax stamp. My local LEO has no problem signing for NFA items. My main reasons for creating a trust was to be able to use the Eform system and to allow my son to be a trustee and use the stuff without me present. My first Form 1 stamp took over a year using the paper based process even with the trust. My second one took 3 months via Eform. I'm getting ready to file a 3rd for a 300BLK suppressor.

In my case I'm comfortable with a boilerplate trust because I'm making the suppressors myself so I don't have much money invested. A friend of mine has several machine guns that combined are worth about half as much as my house. That's a different story and it's worth getting a purpose made trust specific to his circumstances.

OP.

No i did not use 199trust.com. I had a Lawyer draft it. Cost me about $400. After that point i learned about 199trust.com:(

Im on another forum that has a lot of NFA stuff on it and lots of those guys have used 199trust.com. Not a single complaint. I would have used them if id learned about their service before i shelled out 4x the cost.

A NFA only trust is pretty basic. Dont sweat that part.

As for changing your SBR from you to the trust, somebody nailed it above. If its owned by you personally and then you want to transfer it to a trust. Another form 4 needs to be submitted, with another $200 tax stamp paid for.

My advice is to go the easiest and FASTEST route. Get a trust set up, E-file your form 1, in about a month you will be all set and rockin that SBR.

You can set the gun up as a pistol during the wait. If its a new lower, Id advise you to set it up as a pistol and fully function test the gun BEFORE doing the form 1. Nothing would suck worse the. Building on a virgin lower...doing the form 1 and then finding out the receiver is out of spec somehow. Total waste of time and money. Although i guess you could cancel the Form1 and get a refund. I dont know how that works. Best to build on a known good lower.

If you want...shoot me a PM and i'll give you my #. Im always willing to help someone get into NFA stuff. I think we should all be able to just walk into a store and walk out with a Suppressor or SBR. i can walk out with a rifle or a pistol but not the accessory for it .....STUPID!!!!!

Last edited:
It a little worrisome considering some of the horror stories I've read about using generic forms for gun trusts.
I don't have any first-hand experience with it, but given the gravity of the situation, I'd pay to have a lawyer make sure it's airtight. Many of the NFA trust lawyers will cover any potential oopsies with their malpractice insurance, and there's some peace of mind to be had in that.

My understanding is if you get a tax stamp in your name then later want to put the iterm into a trust you need to pay for a new tax stamp.
That's correct. It's being transferred from one entity to the other.

The reasons why many CLEO's won't sign off anymore is because some of them got burned.
That, or they heard about someone getting burned. As per 27 CFR 479.63, the CLEO must provide a certificate that states,

the certifying official is satisfied that the fingerprints and photograph accompanying the application are those of the applicant and that the certifying official has no information indicating that possession of the firearm by the maker would be in violation of State or local law or that the maker will use the firearm for other than lawful purposes.

Some CLEO's are nervous that the last bit carries some level of potential liability.

I should of figured s much on the tax stamp. I defiantly planned on building the lower as a pistol. I already have all of the lower parts in hand and waiting, i just need the barrel and bolt for the upper. Thanks for the info sharkbite im guessing you can set up a trust with only two people? Myself trust under myself and my wife as the trustee and beneficiary as my son isnt someone i can list.

roll your own

did my own trust over 2 years ago. just understand the (your) state requirements for a legal trust and the chain of possession. it ain't rocket science and i have my stamps.

I have had 2 NFA paper work signed off, no problems just takes a few days for them to look over it. Whatever lol

I have had 2 NFA paper work signed off, no problems just takes a few days for them to look over it. Whatever lol
"Whatever" is the problem some folks have when local law enforcement refuses to sign off on the paperwork, thus leaving it in perpetual limbo.

I'm glad you don't have this problem, but many people do because they simply happen to live in the wrong zip code.

Hopefully mine goes as smooth as it sounded if I go that route. I was given the impression that the Chief would actually run my background and sign it while the ladies up front did my fingerprint card.

Back