Anyone EDC a 4" revolver these days?

HighValleyRanch

Does anyone still concealed carry a 4" revolver everyday?

Depending on the position, I think that IWB, the barrel length is not as critical on a revolver, since the barrel is thinner than a semi auto. I know there are guys that CCW a government auto.

But is it because of the limited capacity that not many many to deal with the extra weight and length of the old standard 4"?

Wanting to hear from those that still do, what is your flavor, and what position do you use....

Last edited:
I don't personally carry one, but I have a friend that occassionally carries a .500 magnum that I am pretty sure is a 4" barrel. He is a bit of an odd one though.

I've got an OWB holster for one, but I don't carry it often. Mostly because of the weight, and because I've got a better option (IMHO), a Ruger LC9s.

If I was going to, something like a tapered barrel, Model 10 would be at the top of the list.

Before my back went totally south ..
O carried a Security Six or my Service Six both were 357 and sported 4 inch tubes

I still occasionally carry s&w model 15 or 10 in the winter. Just need a good coat to hide it. Owb 4:00 in a galco holster.

Never had a 4" revolver to carry, but like the OP says, the barrel length (within reason) isn't something that would put me off on the idea. I carried a 3" SP101 daily and COMFORTABLY for 3 years before I changed to something lighter with more rounds.

Never an EDC, but I have carried a 6" Security Six in 357 on occasion. OWB with a high-ride holster and a heavy un-tucked button up shirt. I don't do it all the time, but if I know I'm going to the range, hunting, or out in the country I will wear it that way even if I have to do business in town first. I know I print... I also know that 99.5% of the public pays you no mind and will never know. The weight of any pistol doesn't bother me much when it's OWB. IWB, well that's different.

I don't care so much about deep concealment anymore. The general populace, and would-be robbers, literally do not notice.

First of all, I hate the term "conceal carry." "Conceal" being a verb as is "carry", the correct question should be "........carry concealed." there, got that out of the way.

But I've carried this S&W Model 586, concealed under a vest or jacket:

However, in more years I've preferred to have something a mite larger, and have carried this Ruger in .45 Colt:

Holster is from Graveyard Jack Gunleather.

Bob Wright

I almost always carry a revolver. I've never felt I could trust an auto-loader. I had a Colt combat commander that regularly failed to return to battery and a different auto in9mm that was as accurate as throwing rocks. My Ruger Security-Six has been my best buddy for 45 years and I have worn it almost every day. Mine has a six inch barrel but I made a pancake holster that keeps it up out of view and a shoulder rig that will hide it under a shirt.

I am currently shopping for a holster for a 4" N frame. I have a 625JM and M29 I'd like the option to carry about.

I used to carry my GP 100 4.2" but now that I finally got a semi Glock 19, I carry this IWB very comfortably. I went from an open carry state to a concealed state but always carried concealed. IMO I see no reason to advertise that I'm carrying & see no reason to look for trouble.

I carry a Kimber K6s .357 everyday. Its a 2 1/2 inch gun. I was trying to EDC my 686 Plus, but the extra size and weight were not worth the one extra round. The Kimber has a better trigger as well. For me, the Kimber is the perfect carry revolver for concealed carry. Out in the woods or on horseback, when concealment isn't a factor, I go to the SAA guns and bigger calibers.

I carry a Dan Wesson regularly. The 2 1/2 inch barrel gathers dust, as I find the 4 incher equivalent in comfort, and much better in performance.

for certain locations, I'll swap a J-frame for...

4' M15 or RSS, in a IWB.

Had a situation threee years ago, just before the Fourth of July.

Some bozo kept his hood ornament centered on me, as he pulled out of a parking slot. Was carry the J-frame but wasn't comfortable drawing and going thru the windshield. That's when I decided to carry the 4-inchers [back-ups are one of my 9's or .45.

Been carrying concealed

...a 38 Spec revolver,,, snubby, in a shoulder holster, always wear a jacket, part of the job...for over 40 years

when I conceal carry...its my S&W 686...4"....no dash....been a faithful companion since the 80s.....in a shoulder holster

Of course!

In cold weather, fall through early spring, either my SW 29 Classic 4" or 629 3" Talo feel somehow more natural and comforting in an OWB holster than a .38 snub in a pocket holster or Sig 220 carried in an IWB holster. I guess I just like heavy steel and Magnum rounds.

Back