Anyone consider Airsoft as a viable HD weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAWK-HKG11

I was thinking about my airsoft MP5 as a viable defense weapon. I mean it obviously looks real from any distance except point blank, and it can pump out 6mm plastic bbs at around 800RPM at 330 FPS.....a mag can hold about 70 rds...perhaps I could fire at the face or something.....what do you guys think.....if the bad guy is unarmed, would it be smarter to fire the gun or not? I also had some thoughts on airsoft being used as less than lethal.......Id think itd be somewhat effective.

No way. 330 FPS is far too low...a hi-powered BB gun like my Powerline 880 gets up to 750 FPS, and it still can't kill except in case of a lucky shot to the eye and brain.

The cardindinal rule of gun self-defense is to never point a gun at anything you aren't willing and able to kill, and a BB or Airsoft gun violates that because it can't kill. It's a bluff, and you can't afford to bluff with lethal force.

Well yes, that is very true, but note I'm also firing about 70 rounds more than you in less than 5 seconds. I would say that would lead to serious incapaciation if one of the rounds were to hit the eye or the throat perhaps. At that point any hand to hand combat would work, or perhaps striking him with the butt of your rifle or some other melee weapon. Basically I'm aiming for incapacitation.

Eye, yes. Throat, maybe not, unless it'll penetrate -- and Airsofts are designed not to. I've taken fairly significant hits to the throat without even blinking, and it's not because I'm a particularly tough guy.

there are 6mm steel bbs available for airsoft guns, and if you get your AEG cracked out to 500 fps it would probably do some serious damage on full auto

The only Airsoft gun I would ever consider a viable self-defense weapon would be the Asahi M134 Vulcan. Only a few thousand were ever produced...thirty-three pounds, a few thousand dollars, 3000 round capacity, 6000 rounds per minute just like the real steel.

Velocity is rather irrelevant when spraying fire at that velocity, and this is one hi-powered gun -- you have to use premium BBs, it'll literally shred cheaper ones.

No...unless...

I throw it at you! If I get lucky, I'll hit you in the face and maybe knock you out. Or, I can distract you long enough to get to a real gun!;)

airsoft does have a few advantages though, they're not as loud as a real gun and there's no muzzle flash. if you were using the steel BBs and could get it up over 800fps or so you could do some serious damage.

That vulcan is pretty cool.

I am pleased such a thing is out there... that we have the freedom to spend a hell of a lot of money on something so insane.

But I'd never even THINK about getting one.

I'd rather spend the $$$ on a real gun, could get quite a bit for $3000. But you have to admit it's COOL to have your very own Minigun, like Terminator did!

Why not just get a paint ball gun with adjustable tolerances. I understand they are usually done around 300+ fps for competition, but some you can dial way up closer to 600 fps.

In the end, air guns like that really are not a good idea for two legged critters. A heavy coat will defeat what you have to offer and then the people will just do what Golgo-13 suggested and you will spend the rest of your life with a collostemy bag (appropriate sounds here).

When I got my kids some Airsoft guns, I had them hit me with a good long burst. I was only wearing a t-shirt. It stung a little, but would not have slowed me down in the slightest.

I'm not even sure a hit to the eyes would cause permanent damage. Blink reflex might be fast enough. Not gonna try that one, though.

Would not eve consider it as a legitmate defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back