Anyone carry a P229?

I used to own and occasionally cold-weather carry a 229 in .40. Great gun, but I ditched it for the same reason as mentioned by others above. It was just too big for my small frame and hands.

Had one with a .40 and .357 Sig barrel. Sold it for a Dan Wesson Guardian in .38 Super.
Reasons, I'm an old 1911 kinda guy, lost interest in the 40 short&weak when I got a 10mm, .357 Sig is bottlenecked which makes it a pain to reload.

Cosmo, you must have been looking at a "crappy state compliant" version, to only see 10-round magazine capacity. I just got a used 229 in .40/357 and the mags hold a dozen.

Actually, I think SIG has stopped making the 229 in .40, but I may be wrong.

The P239 is indeed a fine pistol but it is a little more exciting to shoot in .40 and .357. The shorter slide makes a difference but I do not want to part with mine.

Bart Noir

I carried a SIG P228 9MM for about 18 years and then a P229R 9MM for two years. Together I estimate that I shot 25K-35K rounds through these pistols with nary a hiccup, but then who is counting. Used a Milt Sparks VersaMax 2 IWB holster. Accurate, reliable and durable. Some folks complain about the pistol being too heavy or big, but in reality it is neither. Get a good belt and a good holster, they go a long way.

Cosmo, you must have been looking at a "crappy state compliant" version, to only see 10-round magazine capacity. I just got a used 229 in .40/357 and the mags hold a dozen.

Actually, I think SIG has stopped making the 229 in .40, but I may be wrong.

The P239 is indeed a fine pistol but it is a little more exciting to shoot in .40 and .357. The shorter slide makes a difference but I do not want to part with mine.

Bart Noir
This is the only P229 in .357 Sig that I could find on their website:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p229-nitron-compact.html

I carry a P229 in .357 Sig and I like the pistol and the cartridge.

In my opinion, the sole drawback to .357 Sig is the ammo availability/variety and I’ve heard the ammo can be a bit more expensive than .40 S&W.
I reload so cost or availability don’t concern me.

In the forest, I carry the Lehigh Defense solid copper bullets since I want all the penetration I can get in case I have to use it on a large critter.

Carried the P226 or P229 for about 6 years. Been shooting them since I was 12. All in 9mm.

Long story for another time, I sold them but later on down the road I picked up a P229 Legion in both 357SIG and 40S&W (I have both barrels) but I prefer the 357SIG.

All I can say is.. Get one.
81c5861bc70b1ae357e81bc5ca1c171c.jpg

Edit to add:

This is currently not my EDC. My every day carry after carrying an HK P30L for a year is now a Smith and Wesson M&P 5" Pro Series.

I have noticed after carrying the HK and now M&P that the Sig pistols are pretty heavy in comparison. Doesn't bother me to much but I don't *have* to carry the Sig.

Would I be okay if I did? Sure. Heck, I might even do so. But don't think anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This thread is getting to me. I actually went down to the LGS and handled a P229. The DA/SA trigger is sweet. It felt great in my hand. I remember how much I enjoyed shooting it a few years ago... but the consensus is correct. It is just too heavy versus all the polymer options in 9mm.

If it was chambered in .357 Sig, I might have made an exception. Right now, I don't have a gun in .357 Sig. There's been a lot more discussion of it online lately. It's giving me an itch that needs scratching. If I come across a P239 in the right condition, it'll probably happen.

For you guys who shoot and carry the P229, you should really look into the short reset trigger. I bought one used (from someone on this forum is memory serves me correctly) and it is nicer than the regular trigger. I have two P229's, with one being the factory trigger and the other with the short reset trigger.

Especially for a 229 that is actually to be carried, I'd second stephen426 suggestion to look into the SRT/short reset trigger. I've used traditional DA/SA SIGs since the '80s. Trigger reset has always seemed long, and the reset point indistinct to me. The SRT reduces the potential for short stroking the SA trigger under stress. Wish the SRT had been standard on my DA/SA SIGs since the first.

On the short reset trigger, have 2 with them and my 229 (want to say it's an Elite version) is without. Have always considered bringing it in (Sig pro shop is 10 miles away) for the upgrade but I swear my 229 in .40 has a lighter pull (definitely feels better) than both in SA and DA than my 220 Legion in .45 and 226 Tacops in 9mm.. reset is longer on the 229 but seems to be superior otherwise..

Does anyone know if this is actually a real thing or just luck or imagination?

Back about 15 years ago I was looking for a .40 and having no luck finding one. One day my buddy (who just happened to own a gun store) put the P229 in my hand.....it was love at first grip. I still really like this pistol....it feels good to me, it conceals easily, it holds 12 +1, and I bet it stings like crazy if I shoot you with it. I've never had a malfunction with it and every brand of ammo I've fed it has printed well. Despite it's age (and usage) it still looks really good. My only complaint is that I don't have the mounting rail on the lower frame.

Buy one...you won"t be disappointed.

14+1 reliably with the mec-gars even, and without making the pistol goofy.

I picked up this Sig P-229 Stainless Elite a couple of years back at Cabela's. This one has the Stainless Steel frame. They had a closeout on them because they are no longer making them in all Stainless. The new P-229 Stainless Elite's have Aluminum frames. I wish I had bought 2.

You can tell the difference by the weight. And also because the Aluminum frame guns have the silver Sig medallion on the grips. The Stainless Steel framed guns have Sig Sauer laser etched into the grips.

vlZKN45.jpg

I carry a P227 IWB appendix. The P227 is a double stack 45ACP, but it fits in a P229 holster. They are pretty much the same size. I am 6 ft and 200lbs.

Back