Anybody using a derringer for a BUG or deep concealment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t45

Just wondering if anybody is using a derringer for deep concealment or a backup? My 9mm derringer has never failed to fire after running probably 150 rounds through it and is accurate enough to hit COM at 15 yards. I personally don't consider my derringer for any type of carry but was wondering what others thought? It is fun to shoot at the range though :D..

My thoughts echo yours. To me they are beautiful, unique firearms, more of a novelty than anything. For carry? If it is all I had, then it is better than nothing.

I would guess they have a purpose. I have had one in the past, very heavy trigger pull. It was 38 special and a hand full. It is much better then nothing but so many other guns can fill that hole in a collection and do it much better. But if you got one rock on brother.:D

Most centerfire derringers are as large and heavy as a "J" frame S&W revolver.
If it's all you have, it will work, but it wouldn't be a first choice.

My everyday CCW's are either my XDS 4.0 45acp or my PF9 so my derringer is only for the range. Just curious who has a use for a derringer other than just plinking. I'm not one who thinks a BUG is warranted but have no issue with some who do. A small derringer probably could fit the bill as long as it's reliable.

I wouldn't consider one as a BUG.
There are some pretty small .380's and 9mm's that have much greater capacity and not much bigger than a derringer.

+1, and the .22lr ones aren't worth owning.......

I inherited a 6" American Derringer ...chambered in .45 Colt or .410 shotshell....it's heavy, has a horrible trigger ....and would be a terrible carry weapon in my view, over many other options like a J or K frame revolver in .357 mag ...or any number of small semi autos ( sig 239, etc )....

It's a novelty ...I keep it around for laughs..../ the Derringer I have would not be in the first 30 handguns that I grabbed for a bugout.....( and I only have 30 handguns in my safe...).... so it's going to get left behind....

I have an American Derringer pen gun which I recently acquired. I plan on carrying it for kicks and giggles. Interestingly, the FFL who completed my transfer looked at it and said, as a former law enforcement agent, that the police would give me a hard time about carrying it. It's a single-shot .25acp pistol that is hard to deploy and even harder to aim. Still, it would be fun to carry as a BUG.

I'll second that.

v-fib

The NAA mini revolvers are usually a better choice, being much smaller, lighter, and holding 5 shots. True, some derringers can deliver big mojo via centerfire or even shotgun ammo, but I like 5 shots better than 2.

Better than nothing! I think Derringers are super cool, I plan on getting a Bond Arms one day for shooting for fun, but it wouldn't be something I'd feel comfortable having for self defense because of the limited capacity and also the recoil.

bond arms derringers are reliable & indestructible, and dont print. yes only two shots but 2x3 410 balls. 9mm and 38 are soft shooting. with practice reloads are fast from a speedstrip and it is soda can accurate at 15". rubber grips soften "4" rounds. 357 is unpleasant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only derringer that I have left is a .22 LR model.
Light, compact, easy to forget it's even there.

But it never gets carried, unless I feel that there is absolutely no other reasonable choice (including a large knife).

If any of the .22 WMR or .380 Auto variants that I messed with had worked reliably, I would prefer one of them over .22 LR. But, a reliable .22 LR is better than a constantly-malfunctioning .380... :rolleyes:

I have a 22 mag 5 shot American Arms derringer that we use for deep concealment and are quite pleased. I gave this to my wife and she is very pleased with this. I hope that this is what you posted about. For me, my SP101 2.25"357
is quite sufficient.

NAA Mini Revolver

I also have an NAA .22LR Mini that I keep loaded with CCI Stingers. When I just can't carry a centerfire handgun, for whatever reason, I'll carry it.

I believe that it is much more than just "better than nothing".

I also have a Davis D-22 derringer... now that is closer to "better than nothing", but I would carry it too if it was all I had.

a tackle box gun? sure. a viable defensive weapon? not really.

people often state its better than harsh words or some other silliness. fact is for the same money one can get a gun that can fire quicker with one hand, more accurately, often times lighter and smaller.

if you give me $200 to spend on a gun to save my life, it will not be on a 2 shot single action derringer.

Years ago my son got one in a trade in 44 Mag . It was stainless very nice little gun . When ask what the plan was he said to trade it (good plan)
A day or two later he thought time to trade it but first just so he knows it should be shot just one time . So he gets two 240gr. hot loads (all he had) steps out the back door and shoots at the trash barrel . The little gun was 12 feet or more behind him in the grass . It was the only time he shot it before a fast trade .

I have a NAA Black Widow that sees some carry time at the gym or walking the dogs. I also throw it in my front pocket as a bug if I'm going out for dinner. I usually have my CM9 or my Wyatt Deep Cover 637 on my hip when I do carry it as a bug. I like 2 shot derringers and will probably end up with another Bond Arms but not as a carry option.

JERRYS said:
people often state its better than harsh words or some other silliness. fact is for the same money one can get a gun that can fire quicker with one hand, more accurately, often times lighter and smaller.

if you give me $200 to spend on a gun to save my life, it will not be on a 2 shot single action derringer.
Don't make too many assumptions.

I have a total investment of $28 into my .22 LR derringer.

Please show me where I can legally obtain a reliable firearm for the same price, that meets your stated criteria: "...a gun that can fire quicker with one hand, more accurately, often times lighter and smaller..."

Remember: $28.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back