Anybody use Federal 30-30 170 grain Nosler Partition ammo for Deer and Black Bear ?

WIN1886

Recently , I found a clean model 94 in 30 -30 and the only ammunition I could find was this rather expensive Federal premium 30-30 w 170 grain Nosler partitions ! I bought a few boxes and hope to use it this fall for hunting deer and possibly black bear over bait ! I figure the hoarders grabbed all the cheaper stuff and left the expensive ammo which was dwindling in quantity as well ! :D I'm just glad to get some ammunition but would like hear from those that have used this load on medium game , thanks !

I have used it in the past. Now I handload the same Nosler. It is a very good performer and hits very hard.
You won't be dissappointed.

I've used the bullet in reloads. Good as the 30-30 gets and leaves nothing to be desired.

My experience is that Nosler's recommended impact velocity of 1800fps to unlimited is high on both accounts. I would trust the front half of the bullet to do it's job at ranges where velocity drops below that. When pushed above 30-30 velocities (307 Win. 308 Marlin) the ratio of purple jelly to edible meat can be bad at close range.

Nosler Partitions are the bullet that all others are judged by. It is a great hunting bullet. I have killed deer at close range, using a 30-06, and did not experience great meat ruination because the expansion is so well controlled. At longer ranges it expands perfectly.
But, your rifle is a lever gun. Only the first round can be that Nosler. More in the tube is a well known dangerous situation.

I would think the Federal factory loaded 30-30 ammunition using the 170 grain Nosler partition bullet would be okay for tube fed lever actions being it has a more rounded nose ! :confused: Anyway , one shot is all I need....but just in case I could have one extra round in the tube for safe measure ! :D A flatter point would be more comforting but never heard of this problem !

Yes, the flat tip 170 partition is safe for tubes. To clarify, I was not referring to any other other partition when I cautioned about too much purple jelly when pushed above normal 30-30 levels.

WIN 1886 why are you yelling? i get excited over guns to but geeze.
just pullin your leg a bit :P
i think a person cant really go wrong with any Nosler products... unfortunately my pocket book is more persuaded toward Hornady.

Nosler products may be great but about 2 years ago my friend (a reloader too) gave me about 300 pistol bullets in 40 caliber all new. I thought it was funny because he reloads and shoots tons just like me but they were free and I took them. Starting loading them and have never seen any bullet so out of spec from one bullet to the next.man were they terrible. From weight to size. It didn't matter as I just loaded them and shot them at targets. I've always bought Hornady, Speer, Winchester , remington. Berrys, rainier and many more but from what I seen that day I will never buy a Nosler product. Not to bust your bubble but that's just me.

If I had to hunt black bear with a 30-30 , it's exactly what I'd use.

Bingo !!!! :D As far as Nosler bullet quality....my only experience with them is 70 grain ballistic tip bullets in .243 caliber in which I can only say the accuracy is phenomenal out of my used Sako 75 stainless hunter ! With the 30-30 Partition bullet I'm more concerned on performance on game out to 150 yards or so !

Yes they were Nosler sporting handgun bullets (40cal) in the 250 count box. I've been a reloader for 20 years now and have loaded tons of 40s and Never seen anything so horrible. Like I said, they may make good bullets but that box turned me from them ever since.

Can't imagine a better projectile for the 30-30 than a 170 Partition. Don't worry about the fact they are expensive, ammo is not the place to turn cheap. Think about the hundreds of dollars you spend on hunting. 20 bucks extra for a box of ammo is nothing.

BackRub, I seem to recall Nosler's online store giving big discounts on factory second bullets in the not too distant past. That would be my first guess for the difference between your bad experience and Nosler's good reputation. I suspect your friend knowingly or not passed some discounted seconds on to you. Googled "Nosler second defects blemish" and confirmed my memory.

http://noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12182

You may be right. That was a out three/four years ago. It didn't say it on the box but it could have been. Again, I would never buy any of them. I've always had great luck with Hornady and Sierra and Berrys and rainier.

i buy Nosler seconds all the time. nothing out of spec, usually just cosmetic issues.
saying that i do think that Hornady is a better bang for you r buck . but Nosler has always been a great choice for me.
you get lemons out of every company, just not as many as others.

Back