Anybody out there have any squirrel hunting tips?

So true about deer hunting - you will see dozens at first light till about 10 am. Then they usually stop till about an two or three hours before dark for the most part. You can try using a call, too, that's pretty awesome to stalk one when it answers your call...had one run towards me, that was cool.

Wow

I don't believe the amount of squirrel knowledge here. I think it's great, it is one of, if not, my favorite season. Just the best time of the year to be in the woods. About all I could add the this list of techniques is 1) They don't like windy days, if it's windy any squirrels you do see will most likely be on the ground. 2) Get a squirrel call. They should have them @ your local sporting goods store. They look kinda like some turkey gobble calls, black rubber w/ a hard black plastic base. Just listen to the squirrels calling & try to mimic their calls, this will have them ready to knaw your foot off. 3) Oh, and when they do call watch for their tails, they twitch in sync. with their calls. Above all enjoy the day in the autumn woods & good luck. :)

Last edited:
It's already been covered above...

I was going to say, "Don't let'em see you."
But they will... :rolleyes:

If they do, get compfy and don't breathe for 20-30 minutes.
But you will... :p

If you get a shot up close... hit'em with the edge of your pattern.
If you get a shot up really close... hit'em with your gun. :D

It pays to know how your shot patterns at different ranges. :confused:

Have fun! :)

All this advise and know one has got it right yet!

All you got to do is climb up a tree and act like a nut! :D

How About a Hunt Debrief??

Eagle81,

How did you enjoy your first squirrel hunt?? What was the weather like, and were the squirrels active? Were you able to bag any? Did you have a blast?

It's finally starting to cool down in Maryland, temps tomorrow in low 70s for the high - so gonna head up the mountain for a few hours in thew morning, before it warms up. Will have the .410 in hand, hoping to start the season with a good morning!

Good luck to all of you, wherever you hunt.

Michael

I dont use a shotgun for squirrel because i hate eating shot (bb's) a 22 rifle with iron sites is my shooter of choice. Some people bang to rocks together it sounds very simular to a squirrel.The best way to hunt them is to go deer hunting the little ba&*#rds are always around to bug you while deer hunting.

Number 6 shot seemed to work for me. If you soak the squirrel in water overnight you can usually see most of the holes then you can dig out the shot most of the time. Just be careful chewing! :o

Back