Anybody hunt bear? After the shot - how do you move it?

Hunt uphill from my camp. Shoot bear with a confident killing shot. Then go back to camp, grab 2 mules. Bring mules as close as possible to bear and tie them off down wind so they can aclimate to the smell of a dead predator. Skin bear, pack meat, with mules I might not debone, it'll keep things cleaner. Walk mules out to camp with a cooler.

Without mules by myself I doubt I could get it out of the woods quickly enough. With a strong friend or two hunting close to camp, maybe. The simplest answer is "in pieces" and pieces without bone weigh less.

I've only shot two bears. Last one I was about 27 yrs old and in the military and the best shape of my life. Backed up to it with the PU and threw it in the back...........Well maybe not quite threw it but I did get it there. It was about like trying to pick up a bladder with 200# of water in it!

ATV with a sled, or an "ironhorse" dunno what you americans call it a handle like a pallet truck but with bands like a tank

but also alotta guys and rope

we don't really solo hunt like you guys

In NE PA the biggest bear taken one year was about 900lbs

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/72-bear/114085-world-record-weight-black-bear-answered.html
What is the record weight of an American black bear?

The world record weight for an American black bear is 880 pounds.

This was the recorded weight of a 10.75 year-old male bear shot in North Carolina in November 1998.
They killed this one in the next county over from me, and they had to use a tractor to get it out.

Back