Anybody get a 350 Legend?

Lots of guys with 450 experience have tried the 350L in the straight wall states and have generally found the new gun to be just fine. The reduced recoil and lower cost ammo of the 350L are big draws for this segment.

With the number of 350L guns sold and the prospects for sales over the next few years in these straight wall states, the 350L is on track to become well established for lots of non-reloading hunters.

In addition to the straight wall states, the gun seems to being doing well both as a "starter gun" where recoil is a concern and in other locations with folks do not need long range capability and like the idea of a 35 cal gun.

A big part of the success so far has been the combination of low cost for factory ammo and a good selection of gun options including entry level bolt actions, complete ARs, budget AR uppers and budget AR barrels.

With a good selling "new" hunting gun, the prospects are good for continued production of existing 350L specific bullets and prospects are good for more new bullets from the makers that have not jumped on board yet.

Once the initial hype and pent up demand is satisfied, gun sales may slow. However, the basic usefulness for the non-reloading hunter will not go away.

Before the 350L came out, folks were using the 357 maximum and 35 cal wildcats based on the 233 case. Without factory guns and factory ammo, these were never going to become popular.

With the 350L doing fine for the non-reloaders, there is not much reason for a gun company to bring out a competing rimless 35 caliber round or to try to get the 357 maximum (or 360 Dan Wesson) back in mainstream production.
I dont see lower ammo cost. I bought a bunch of Hornaday 450 B.M. for $1 each last week. It has high msrp, but is on sale all the time.

I also vote for the 450 Bushmaster. I had an 1895 and couldn't tolerate the recoil. The BM throws a 250 FTX at 2200, making it an honest 250 yard thumper. Now it's a .452", but you can load the 300 XTP Magnum. A 45 caliber AR with a 16" barrel at 6# that kicks like a 20 guage shotgun - what's not to like????

Nathan, I’ve kinda wondered the same thing. Maybe the case couldn’t be expanded that much?

I think you are spot on. They couldn’t get 358 win velocity, so they needed all new bullets. Couldn’t go longer, due to the mags.

Not sure why all new cases instead of 223 basic....probably couldn’t get the velocity. That is this things strength and weakness.....velocity.

From Winchester faq:
BASIC 20” BARREL DATA (compare to 30-30 WIN)
X350DS – 150 Grain Extreme Point
Muzzle Velocity: 2,325 FPS
Muzzle Energy: 1,800 ft/lb

X3501 – 180 Grain Power Point
Muzzle Velocity: 2,100 FPS
Muzzle Energy: 1,762 ft/lb

X3030DS – 150 Grain Extreme Point
Muzzle Velocity: 2,205 FPS
Muzzle Energy: 1,619 ft/lb

BASIC 16” BARREL DATA (compare to 300 Blackout and 223 Rem.)
X350DS – 150 Grain Extreme Point
Muzzle Velocity: 2,225 FPS
Muzzle Energy: 1,649 ft/lb

X3501 – 180 Grain Power Point
Muzzle Velocity: 2,000 FPS
Muzzle Energy: 1,598 ft/lb

USA3501 – 145 Grain Full Metal Jacket
Muzzle Velocity: 2,250 FPS
Muzzle Energy: 1,630 ft/lb

X300BLKDS – 150 Grain Extreme Point
Muzzle Velocity: 1,900 FPS
Muzzle Energy: 1,202 ft/lb
X223DS – 64 Grain Extreme Point
Muzzle Velocity: 2,655 FPS
Muzzle Energy: 1,002 ft/lb

Reynolds,

The big difference for now is the in Winchester practice ammo. Routinely found for $10 or less for a box of 20.

I agree that 350L hunting ammo is close to the $1 a round (probably just over) you quoted.

Getting 450 BM at under $25 a box is a deal. Most probably gets sold above $26 a box.

The 450 BM uses more lead and brass. Long term, I expect it to stay higher than the 350L.

Now the 350 and the 450 are at the low end for hunting ammo cost when talking about the "big guns" being used in the straight wall states. Hunting ammo cost for stuff like the 444 and 45-75 are even higher.

Last edited:
Aged,

The Iowa DNR allows cartridges on a list and they allow cartridges based on rules.

They have decided it meets the rules and have issued plenty of communication to re-assure 350L hunters.

They understand the concern and plan to update the wording of the rules to be more clear as to why it is ok.

By way, on the Iowa list is 38 super. The 38 super has been made with 0.355" bore and bullets from the beginning.

Do you really think it is "not ok" or have some other reason to question its use.

Aged,

The Iowa DNR allows cartridges on a list and they allow cartridges based on rules.

They have decided it meets the rules and have issued plenty of communication to re-assure 350L hunters.

They understand the concern and plan to update the wording of the rules to be more clear as to why it is ok.

By way, on the Iowa list is 38 super. The 38 super has been made with 0.355" bore and bullets from the beginning.

Do you really think it is "not ok" or have some other reason to question its use.
Just referencing current IowaDNR publications, and I do not see it. I am personally not concerned with it; I use 450 Bushmaster or .44 mag, but I might make an inquiry for official input for the sake of clarity.

Yes, I am aware of 38 Super on the list. I try to be current in Iowa hunting laws...

Last edited:
Okay, I found the November update. I stand corrected, the 350 Legend is legal for Iowa deer hunting. :)

Seems to be official as of last month according to the docs I reviewed...may have been earlier, but I cannot see evidence of that. Iowa DNR is not always the best at updating publications.

Last edited:
Back