Anybody get a 350 Legend?

Nathan

What did you get? How do you like it? Did you look at any other models? I ask because I’m thinking about selling a Ruger #1 n 45-70 to buy one for OH deer hunting.

What kind of 100 yd groups can you shoot with it?

What sight did you put on it?

Do you reload for it?

What did you get? How do you like it? Did you look at any other models? I ask because I’m thinking about selling a Ruger #1 n 45-70 to buy one for OH deer hunting.

What kind of 100 yd groups can you shoot with it?

What sight did you put on it?

Do you reload for it?
Its on my bucket list. I intend to get a Bear Creek 16" upper. I am going to use it for short distance hog hunting. I will put a red dot or holosight on it.
Someone, I think its Leupold, is making a 350 Legend scope. Everything I am reading says it dies a remarkably fast death past 200 yards. From what I see on ballistics, I see no reason it couldnt be a 300 yard hunting rifle.
(I have several Bear Creek uppers. Never had any function, accuracy, or durability problems with any of them.)

It may be able to shoot good enough groups at 200 yards with the right load in the right gun, but that's not enough to make it a 'good 200 yard hunting round". I've been shooting the .357max for several years now and it will edge the 350 Legend out at 200 yards on power and trajectory with good hand loads and shoot great groups at that distance. However, when the bullet hits the animal (let's assume deer, that's why it was developed) it's not really a good choice at the distance for ethical kills.....I've shot a lot of deer so far with the max and I know what it can do on animals.

I just built an AR in the 350L and have had very good input from others on this forum. My opinion is based simply on the ballistics that I see possible with it. It's sort of a forlorn "love child" lost in a netherworld between 355 pistol bullets and just a few spire point bullets. What I mean is--I wouldn't make a broad-wash statement (unless you're Winchester, LOL) it will DRT em out to xxx yards. There's a big difference in velocity/opening performance between 9mm Luger bullets and bonded spire points. IMO you need to be VERY confident of the effective range and performance numbers of your load before taking that long shot.

In the States that limit you to strait wall cartridges, how many 300 yards shots do you get? I grew up hunting in Michigan and the only 300 yards I remember would have been across an old Muskrat farm or up north where we used 30-06's. At 300 yards in heavy brushy, swampy land I would not want to take a 300 yard shot on a deer, my ability is there, but locating a wounded deer would not be fun.

Did Iowa ever resolve the question on whether or not the .350 Legend would be legal on deer? Apparently, the problem was cause by the law reading ".357 and larger" and Legend being based on a .355 bullet diameter.

I’m building a upper in .350 right now. I am mainly doing because of the ease of making the round from easy to find brass. Part of the reason I also have a .277wlv. The Legend though, I’m personally going to limit it to inside 100yds woods rifle. Could it go and be ethical at more range? Sure. I’ve got other calibers I can use at further ranges though think I think would be more ethical to use at further ranges.

The 350 legend is odd but good.

I can see the AR/bolt rifle compatibility and AR type mags. The bullet stumps me....why not .358 bullets? Well, sounds like some states have some kind of 0.357” rule....hmmm

Why 2200fps with a 170 gr bullet. I guess I would have tried .358 bullets and 2500fps. Actually, it looks like they ran out of space and pressure at those numbers.

Should I get the Ruger American Ranch, or is this round DRT?

FWIW: It handles both .358 going in (and cast at that), and spits out the same diameter bullet as my 357Mag 1894 Marlin: ---> 0.355"

This evening, Powder Valley Delivered my latest: Norma-200.
QuickLoad to the Rescue... and a dusky-dark range session*

350 LEGEND SIZE/EXP: 0.358” /ALOX
LEE 358-200grRF-GC #2(195gr_act)/NORMA-200/28.0/CCI#41/OAL 2.166”
QL15" predicts = 40,869psi/1947FPS (*1,950 actual) %Fill/Burn: 107/94

A 200gr cast 357 bullet doing 2,000fps out of a 15" rifled barrel is nothing to sneeze at.
I'm coming to regard it as somewhat of a quarterhorse.

Last edited:
Did Iowa ever resolve the question on whether or not the .350 Legend would be legal on deer? Apparently, the problem was cause by the law reading ".357 and larger" and Legend being based on a .355 bullet diameter.
Last I heard, it is not on the list of acceptable cartridges yet in Iowa.

Where about in Ohio, I use to hunt NE Ashtabula County and the Ohio Power area.
I have considered buying a upper for the .350 Legend but also considered get just a
Beregara barrel for my Contender. Both are same price.
Suggest a scope in the 1 -4X range for handling the brushy and more open ranges when you hunt.
Good luck, keep us in the loop.

I to shoot a Max and use 180 gr Hornady XTP's or Remington 180gr HP's. Both my Encores will kill past 200 yds and have done so many times culling Does in late season. Not sure what Winchester was thinking when they came up with .355 bullets when .357-.358 bullets are the norm so with that said it's only a matter of time and some one will come along with a .358 straight wall and eat their lunch.

Lots of guys with 450 experience have tried the 350L in the straight wall states and have generally found the new gun to be just fine. The reduced recoil and lower cost ammo of the 350L are big draws for this segment.

With the number of 350L guns sold and the prospects for sales over the next few years in these straight wall states, the 350L is on track to become well established for lots of non-reloading hunters.

In addition to the straight wall states, the gun seems to being doing well both as a "starter gun" where recoil is a concern and in other locations with folks do not need long range capability and like the idea of a 35 cal gun.

A big part of the success so far has been the combination of low cost for factory ammo and a good selection of gun options including entry level bolt actions, complete ARs, budget AR uppers and budget AR barrels.

With a good selling "new" hunting gun, the prospects are good for continued production of existing 350L specific bullets and prospects are good for more new bullets from the makers that have not jumped on board yet.

Once the initial hype and pent up demand is satisfied, gun sales may slow. However, the basic usefulness for the non-reloading hunter will not go away.

Before the 350L came out, folks were using the 357 maximum and 35 cal wildcats based on the 233 case. Without factory guns and factory ammo, these were never going to become popular.

With the 350L doing fine for the non-reloaders, there is not much reason for a gun company to bring out a competing rimless 35 caliber round or to try to get the 357 maximum (or 360 Dan Wesson) back in mainstream production.

Back