Anybody else see what I saw?

It was a Weaver Alaskan (or M81 or M82) when they hit the beach at Normandy and after taking out the pillbox, it grew into a Unertl 8x.

You didn't see him swap his scope back and forth throughout the movie?

which means they couldn't have been fired because they would have expanded tight against the cylinder chamber.

With low or standard pressure loads brass usually falls out. Unless the chambers are rough. Then again, I don't shoot blackpowder in cartridges either.

My favorite is at the end of Bourne Ultimatum when Jason finds the guy that made him. He points a Glock dramaticly in his face and you hear a hammer pulled back, then the Glock morphs into a Sig, he points it at bad guys face and you hear a hammer pulled back. Then it changes back to a Glock and once again, back in his face and you hear a hammer pulled back. If he'd quit switchin' guns he would have only had to pull that Glock hammer once.:rolleyes:

I drive my girlfriend nuts with this stuff. We watcher CSI Miami last night and someone pulls a .40 bullet from the wall. Officer Hottie looks at it and says "No lands and grooves". I said "Glock!...or maybe HK". Officer Hottie says "that means it's from a HK or a Glock". :D

It's not just you (other) gun geeks catching this stuff. Yeah, I noticed the missing primers in SPR, as well as most other films that show people toting linked MG ammo. But we hams notice uber-dorky stuff wrong in films, too. Wife & son & I were watching the latest Die Hard movie... the radio they showed in the unmarked cop car was a cheap 2-meter ham rig, tuned to a ham frequency. Lo and behold the rig in the FBI car was not only the SAME radio, on the SAME frequency... they just re-used the shot from the earlier NYPD car.

Watching the various Bourne flicks and others where they show the "super high tech NSA techies" supposedly monitoring all public service, cell and God-only-knows-what-other frequencies, they usually show a 80s to current vintage Kenwood or Icom HF radio, usually tuned somewhere in the 20 meter amateur band.

And I'll bet anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of high school physics finds it difficult not to jump up and yell, "BS!" at the screen in most action movies. Most of the "action sequences" are just so utterly stupid it detracts from the movie in most cases.

CraigC had it pegged... "movies are made by the uninformed, for the uninformed." Drama & entertainment trumps reality and accuracy (or even plausibility), both in Washington and in Hollyweird. But, hey, it's fun to watch anyway, you just have to practice the whole "suspending disbelief" thing. Good thing it's election season, we're getting tons of practice material!

Another one of my favorite goofs is when a gun cocking sound is heard, but the gun is not cocked. :confused:

The Doc is out now. :cool:

You didn't see him swap his scope back and forth throughout the movie?

I remember when they assaulted a machine gun the medic removed the scope to use it as a telescope. Later, when they were pinned down in a town, the sniper adjusts his Unertl scope by twisting on the viewing objective.

Different subject: The Longest Day. One of our paratroopers hears a noise, clicks his clicker. He hears a "clicker" in response, steps out and is shot. The next scene shows a German operating his Mauser 98, making the same sound as the clicker. I've never had a Mauser 98 make that sound.

bushidomosquito :
"Officer Hottie"

I bow to your description, I'm more like Homer Simpson "MMMmmmm, Emily..."
(Only reason to watch that darned show IMO, and I don't...)

Different subject: The Longest Day. One of our paratroopers hears a noise, clicks his clicker. He hears a "clicker" in response, steps out and is shot. The next scene shows a German operating his Mauser 98, making the same sound as the clicker. I've never had a Mauser 98 make that sound.
Ive heard that is a true story. Our troops used the clickers. When they heard the Germans chamber a round, it sounded like three clicks. When they stepped out the Germans shot them.

Back