Anybody else see what I saw?

Griswold

I know we're supposed to stay gun-oriented on this thread - but I swear in the first scenes of the new National Treasure movie, when the one fellow uses the short-barrelled Colt percussion revolver, the Italian proof marks had not been removed from it! (Two of them, on the right side, just ahead of the wedge.) Anybody else catch that? - Griswold

Thanks, Folks

I was just attempting to point out out something I saw, & was looking for confirmation. If anyone else can verify, let me know. - Griswold

Just looks out of place

Ever notice that the 30 cal belted machine gun ammo in Private Ryan had no primers

How the H### did you pick up on that?
I'm out of my league here!

Yeah, I saw it, too. Those big black holes at the base of the shells just looked so out of place.

Here's another one. Ever notice in the movie OPEN RANGE with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall, that Costner shoots about 12 shots from a Colt Peacemaker without reloading? Or that James Bond tells a guy with a Colt automatic that he is using a Smith & Wesson and he had his 6 shots? (DR. NO)

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Also from the Wolf Dancing Costner film... that 44 rimfire is one shot killing those bisons.

Pretty powerful little round there... cheers y'all

The Military Channel had a story the other night about a soldier in Iraq who fired a .50 Ma Deuce on an APC until he was killed. The "re-enactment" used blanks!

The same channel had "Russian" soldiers wearing British uniforms and helmets and carrying SMLE's. Sure!

And we all know the Winchester 1892 and Colt 1873 were used in the Civil War and trapdoor Springfields in the Revolution.

It is not just guns. Public TV did a show about Appalachia (gagging to those of us from that region, they couldn't even pronounce it right) and one segment was about the effect of the depression. A shot of men standing on the sidewalk was described by the narrator as men thrown out of work by the depression - while a 1959 Edsel drove past. What phonys!

Jim

Little Lead Pills

Also from the Wolf Dancing Costner film... that 44 rimfire is one shot killing those bisons.

Pretty powerful little round there... cheers y'all

It was just fast acting lead poisoning, that's all. Gotta remember. Henry's shot a lead bullet.

Seriously, I have to wonder how much penetration a Henry cartridge would have on a Buffalo. Anybody know?

The Doc is out now. :cool:

OK then, how 'bout the scene in tombstone where wyatt is sitting at the faro table.
the card layout on the table is backwards!

How many rounds were in Blade's pistol in the original movie?

There are lots of fubar's in the movies and you would think that they would consult some experts to try and get it close to working. I saw the no primers in the 30 cal belt in Saving Private Ryan, even my 12 year old boy saw it. Lots of times you will see a seen with a Colt 1911 and the guy has been shooting 3 or 4 shots and to add drama the actor cocks the hammer again and demands something from the other actor. One seen in Ryan at the end with the group of Nazi's shooting at Hanks walking across the bridge, you can see that one of the k98's safety is on (over to the left) and yet the guy shoots. In the "Sgt. York" film York is using a Luger to shoot the advancing Germans and in reality it was a 1911. Lots wrong with Pearl Harbor, in one seen in the Battle of Britain, idiot arms his machine guns twice in the same seen and then shoots for 20 seconds 3 times, spitfire could only go for 13 seconds total and was out of ammo. Lots of fun.

Lots of fubars in movies and most the time they don't care. Some movie makers like Michael Mann go to a lot of trouble for realism but most don't. Oh sure, there are consultants on the set but too often "realism" gets pushed aside for drama. Let's face it, most movies are made by the uninformed, for the uninformed.

Just like Open Range, notice that Costner doesn't use the ejector rod? We all know that Costner is a well-versed shooter and that his character would've been working that sixgun so fast he would have had three empties in the air at once but that wouldn't have been dramatic enough.

By contrast, Tom Selleck has guns custom built for his movies for the ultimate in realism.

Another thing on Pvt Ryan was the sniper scope. It was a Weaver Alaskan (or M81 or M82) when they hit the beach at Normandy and after taking out the pillbox, it grew into a Unertl 8x.

Just like Open Range, notice that Costner doesn't use the ejector rod? We all know that Costner is a well-versed shooter and that his character would've been working that sixgun so fast he would have had three empties in the air at once but that wouldn't have been dramatic enough.
I noticed that too, right after he was shot in the leg. He was shaking his revolver to get them to fall out, which means they couldn't have been fired because they would have expanded tight against the cylinder chamber.
He lso fanned his revolver nine times near the beginning of the gun fight and got as many rounds to fire out of one revolver.

Hunter I saw Sergeant York today and yes York used a Luger to shoot several Germans. He got the pistol from a German officer. So it wasn't an anachronism.

Back