Anybody else intentionally missing a 1911 in their collection?

9x19; I got a bit of a grin when you mentioned what 3 guns you traded for...kind of wondered what you had been smoking.Actually I guess you came out ok, but I plan on keeping my 2 Colts and 1 Kimber. I am very fond of the 9mm but recently got into the 45 bug so I'll do that for a while. I really like the feel of the 1911. Lotsa luck with your next purchase.:)

1911 SUCK SUCk SUck Suck suck, greaT greAT grEAT gREAT GREAT. I use to laugh at all the expensive crap people had to do to them. My first 1911 was a basic Springfield. No bells and whistles but it fed everything. It wasn't set up for .5 inch accuracy, more like 3 inches at 25 yards but it was a blast. At 7 yards I could make puuurttteee pictures with it. I like it. Now I want one. Thinking of buying a Kimber or building my own.

Owned three, and they all were a POS. A Para, a Springfield, and a 1991. Not knocking the 1911s, but I've had no luck with them what-so-ever. Even after spending some good money on em' to get them right :eek:. The three strikes rule applys here, I won't be buying another. Now the only 45 I own is a Ruger P97. And for under $400 out the door (tax, reg fees, everything), I have a 45 that's very accurate, brute strong, and eats ANYTHING :D from primo stuff to garbage wadcutters. The only other 45 that was "almost" as good as it that I've own was a SIG P220 which aren't cheep (I still regret selling it :() and a Ruger P90 which was also reliable but accuracy was so-so and the trigger was crap. There's alot of other great 45s out their (HK, Glock, etc.), but double stacks don't work for me which is why I never purchased one. Sorry to rant so long, but I'll never buy another 1911 (even Kimber) when there's sooo many great "out-of-the-box" guns.

Are we spoiled?

BK40 said "to many youngun's today are spoilt by their SigGlockHK plastic pistols... boy do they moan and groan about how hard it is to field strip and clean a 1911!"

Well, I'm 25 years old and have owned many 1911's. Pretty easy to break down once you know how. I happen also to be a very proud owner of two of them thar fangled fancy plastic Glock pistols? Hey...it ain't our fault somebody designed something easier to break down. The 1911 is pretty ancient all in all. Good gun..but ancient.

Wow! 9x19 is a regular Jerry Seinfeld!

1911's were awesome - back in 1911!

Today I own SIG.

However, I do admit that almost every good pistol out there today is of 1911 pedigree in some form or fashion. As do most pistols possess a little SIG DNA as well. Either way, the 1911 is still a great pistol, it just takes an expert to squeeze its potential out of it. A great pistol for those who appreciate the art of gunsmithing. On the other hand, my SIGs have put many gunsmiths on welfare.

Perfection straight from the box - SIG!!!

SS

The first 1911 I owned was a nearly-new Gummint Model, ex-military. "Stock as a stove". For some fifteen years, until it was stolen, it never malfunctioned. Dunno; ten thousand or so rounds through it. I set it up for early 1980s IPSC, a few thousand rounds into its life, and it continued to function flawlessly.

I bought a LW Cmdr in 1980. Flawless performance, before and after extensive work. Same for my Delta Elite. Same for a "Combat Government", whatever that means. I do all my own tweaking, and so far, no flubs.

I had some version of a Glock in .45ACP. It shot okay, but it was awkward in my hand compared to the Colt. Since it was ugly, I took my profit and smiled. I have a Beretta 92 stainless. Shoots fine, but it feels bulky. It doesn't get used very much on account of that.

I've meddled around with a few dozen other 1911s and A1s. Never had a problem. It takes trivial tweaking to make them feed any ammo of whatever sort.

I guess I just don't understand the problem.

:), Art

Back