Anybody else intentionally missing a 1911 in their collection?

rock_jock

I own a small (seven) but very respectable collection of handguns. A year ago, I was tempted to buy a 1911, but after handling a few and firing two, I'm just not that impressed. They feel blocky and their sights seem to ride high. I'd like to hear from others - what percentage of your collections does the venerable John Browning semi-auto make up?

No 1911??!!

I don't know what it would be like without one! There is just so much history there. But I will admit, they are not for everyone. But they are for me, and I'm totally happy with the performance of mine.

0% is always good...

Over the years I've gathered a rather large collection of handguns. The only 1911 pattern was recently sold in my first online brokered trade. The 1911 pattern was never my favorite or even liked handgun as I'd attached the myopic personalities and effete attitudes of the '1911 crowd' to it. My safe is at 0% and will remain that way...

Darryl

I just think that given my lack of enthusiasm for this gun, I may NEVER own one! (BTW, what would be the penalty for that?)

I'm missing a longslide 1911... I want one set up for .45 Super and SMC. A swap kit for 10MM/40 would be great but not necessary. I'm thinking that with the .45 SMC, I wouldnt need anything else.
Unlike my other guns, on this one, I would like to see some good quality adjustable sights... Target Style. Heck, an Optima might find its way on this one.

Guys, looky here; It's a matter of 'semantics' Overall, a '91-A1 will do the job. I'll keep my . 45 thank you.
Bob

what percentage of your collections does the venerable John Browning semi-auto make up?

roughly 50% :D

everybody needs at least one 1911 in their collection, well, and a Hi-Power, and a ...... ;)

to many youngun's today are spoilt by their SigGlockHK plastic pistols... boy do they moan and groan about how hard it is to field strip and clean a 1911! :)

I have one and I'm gettin rid of it. Not a bad gun design just not all that great in todays world either. I love the way they look though :D

shiro

33%. Love the way they look,shoot and feel in my hand. While the 1911 is my favorite,I wouldn't put down anyone else's choice. It's just a matter of taste and need.
Ronin

My idea of MY perfect 45 is my Sig P-220. HOWEVER, the mystique of the 1911 is simply incredible. Will the Sig's, Glock's, Beretta's or Ruger's of the world be around a hundred years from now? Will they be revered as the 1911? Don't think so. You can't ignore it's history. Something the "newer" designs don't have. And that includes all the designs I have. Say what you want about the 1911 but there're ain't no stoppin' it! It was THE handgun of the twentieth century. Will it be THE handgun of the 21st century also? Wouldn't that be somethin'!:)J. Parker

2 out 6 of my handguns aree 1911s.
They are also my two most recent. For some reason I waited ten years to aqquire a 1911, and I am sorry I did. These are the finest guns in my handgun collection, and I am anxious to add more. I don't forsee buying anything else for a while...well maybe a Hi Power. Even my P7M8 has sat unfired since I got my Wilson Classic.

Just traded my two week old Loaded Springfield for something that will feel right. I tricked this gun out and had the die hard 1911 fans at the shop drooling. Try as I did, its design was lost on me. I could not shoot fast, come on target fast, pointability felt all wrong. I know there are many who love these guns. I would have kept it if I could have afforded to have a "pretty" gun that I was going to keep and not shoot. But I shoot all of my guns, so it was replaced by a gun I know that I will give a proper work-out.

Be Safe
Mike

I recently, after several years, bought another 1911.

This one is a Colt Series 80 Combat Commander in 9mm.

I had thought to buy three, one each in 9mm, .38 Super, and .45, as hand-me-downs.

I've since changed my mind, handling this one had a lot to do with it. I'm suprised, still, that I was once so enamored of the design that I owned about a dozen. {shrug}

I guess it's a sign of growth, and acceptance of a new "pistol" paradigm. I no longer believe that a pistol must be all steel. In fact one of the things I like best about the newer designs is their light weight and ease of maintenance.

So, it's off to the gunshow in the morning, with the Colt tucked under one arm... you gotta have trading material, yes?

9x19; I hear where you're comin' from bro! No matter what the heck it is, it's still tradin' material! Ain't it fun!:)J. Parker

I went for years without getting one strictly by choice, but then I came across a deal that I just could not pass up.

Around the same time I got into bowling pin shooting.

It was a match made in heaven.

oh somewheres about 0%

i'm not a big fan of the 1911. i've been tempted to buy them at times but always found something "better" to buy instead. i wouldn't feel comfortable with the reliability of a reasonably priced 1911 such as a Colt, Springfield or a Kimber and i can't afford a Wilson Combat or something in the $2000 price range...if i had $2000 to spend on guns i wouldn't buy a 1911 either.

i prefer Glocks, Berettas, HKs and Sigs.

Guys, c'mon! You're living ina dream world! The 1911 is very accurate, very reliable, simple to COMPLETELY disassemble....in short, THE ideal semi-auto pistol!!! It does take a little time and dedication to learn to shoot, but then you'll fall in love with the gun! I learned using handloads with little recoil. After a while, full power loads felt the same and were fun to shoot. This horse manure about it being unreliable is just to keep a bunch of gunsmiths in business! Take it, just as it comes from the box, and shoot 100-200 rounds through it and it will never fail! Colt, Kimber, Springfield, they all make excellent guns for a reasonable price. Try one! See the different recoil of the sharp snap of most calibers versus the push of the .45! Look at Remington's page on the Golden Sabre. Their accuracy requirement for the .45 ACP is more stringent than for other calibers. It's been around for almost 100 years for good reasons!

100%

Well, almost. One's a Para-Ord but close enough. I love the accuracy and versitility. Its the Small Block Chevy of the gun world and will never disappear.

My guns accept all loads from 700 fps powder puffs to 1100 fps barn burners. My Springfield groups under 2" at 50 yards with my powerhouse loading and still functioned with loads that shot 2' low at 15 yards! These I had left in my car on a summer day and bullet lube killed most of the powder. It was a plate stage at a match and I had to hold over to clean this frame.

I've even use my Para-Ord to dispatch an attic dwelling raccoon. Took 9 rounds of CCI shotshells fired at a rate close to an MP-5. Flashlight in one hand, pistol in the other and not a single pellet penetrated the drywall. I must say, #6 shot would have been better but the pattern density at 20 feet kept most pellets in the head/chest area and he expired fast.

Back