Any tricks for eye fatigue

So if I wear reading glasses I should leave them on throughout the session, ie going down range to change targets etc.. even if I don't normally wear them.

Shooting left handed may feel awkward at first --- especially with a right handed ejection port along with right handed safeties --- but learning to shoot ambidextrous, should add another plus in you're shooting form.

I'm training to shoot ambi myself.

Sun glasses when not shooting. Also looking at close up things and really far things a few times will help. I recommend a book (I use a reloading manual) Then occasionally looking at the clouds if out doors. try to take a break as long as you shoot. If you shoot 45 min then take a 45 min break where you read and look at the clouds (or what ever you pick) I find it helps me as do the sun glasses.

My experince with NMC shooting, I found that...

keeping yourself hydrate helps, when in the pits "pulling" I wear wrap-around dark safety glasses, that keep my eyes moist. and when heading to do 600 yds, l eat two apples to keep blood sugar up.

If you shooting 30-45 minute take a break, the eye muscles are TIRED!

I think it was Dr. Henry Cross, a supporter and one time chairman of the US International Rifle team, who, with the help of an opthamologist, learned that the human eye has precise/accurate vision for about 15 to 20 seconds after one's breath is cut off. The oxygen in the blood is no longer enough to sustain best vision acuity but the other body organs still do well for a while longer. And that's whe eye strain starts; sights and target are no longer easy to align. Bad shots follow.

So, hyperventilate (breath deeply, but not to extremes) 3 or 4 times then let out about half of the last inhaled batch of air and stop breathing. If you don't break the shot within 15 seconds of cutting off your breath, exhale what's left, hyperventilate again and start over.

Another form of eyestrain happens when a scope's used and the eyepiece isn't set right to properly focus the reticule for sharp vision. If it's a tiny bit out of focus but still appears sharp to your eye, your eye's nervous system detects that condition and reshapes the eye lens to focus correctly. It goes back and forth about a small range but because the scope's eyepiece ain't focused exactly on the reticule, they eye gets strained trying to make things right.

To correct this focus issue, first back the eyepiece out until the reticule is clearly out of focus. Then do the following steps:

1. Turn they eyepiece in one full turn.

2. With the scope aimed at the clear sky or a solid light colored wall, look through the scope for 1 second then look away.

a. If the reticule doesn't appear sharper and more in focus, repeat step 1 then this step 2.

b. If the reticule is a lot sharper, turn the eyepiece in 1/2 turn, then go on to step 3.

3. With the scope aimed at the clear sky or a solid light colored wall, look through the scope for 1 second then look away.

If the reticule is a lot sharper, turn the eyepiece in 1/2 turn, repeat step 3 until the reticule gets sharp then starts to be less sharp and out of focus. Then go on to step 4.

4. Back the eyepiece out one turn then lock it in place. It's now set to about mid point in its range for best focus on the reticule.

Back