Any similar experiences with a Walther PPQ?

Different handguns work for different people. I had the same experience with an S&W M&P 9 several years ago. Felt good. Liked the balance. Liked the sights. Liked the mag and slide releases. Liked everything about it. Couldn't shoot it with a darn to save my soul. The G22 I recently traded I liked everything about, too, but I couldn't shoot it worth a darn, either. Other handguns have shot well for me right out of the gate.

I have only had a chance to shoot my 9mm PPQ on two occasions. So far I like it a lot. I put the big grips on it, but I have XXL hands, so that's par for the course. It doesn't feel snappy to me, maybe because I'm a very large person.

I also have one of the Caniks. I haven't shot it yet because the weather has been so poor around here. I thinks it's the one that others have mentioned, a copy of one of the Walthers. It was annoying to change the grips on it - had to drive out a rolled pin. It seems nice. I hope to find out on Saturday morning how well I shoot it.

A lot of interesting responses/conversation.

I think a good next step would be to ask the guys behind the counter if they have the large backstrap, and if they could install it for me to try again. I do have pretty large hands, not bear paws but pretty big, and I definitely found the PPQ awkward to grip.

Edited: I just re-read and saw the "good" group with the Canik was 6", plus fliers, at 10 yards. I'm shaking my head and not sure how to address that. My PPQ will easily do half of that at 25 yards, and it isn't hard to hit a steel IPSC silhouette with it from 50 yards.

To be honest, I'm probably being generous with the group size (most likely less than 6 inches). I had also shot about 100 rounds through my PPS at varying distances before even touching the PPQ or the Canik, as range rules dictate that in order to rent a gun, you must bring at least one of your own, and as I like to practice regularly with the little PPS. Are these just excuses? Probably. ;)

I ordered an upgraded version of that Canik, a TP9SF Elite Combat. It's a little more gun for not much more in terms of price, but the trigger on it is even better than the plain Elite model.

It's due in tomorrow, so one day this week I'll send some rounds through it and post my best group. :cool: I still do want to try the PPQ with the large backstrap though, in case I made a horrible, aweful mistake. :D

I shot my Canik TP9 yesterday and liked it a lot. There is some slack take-up on the trigger, but after that it was short and crisp. I shot it pretty well, according to my own somewhat lenient standards.

I hope that flyboy likes his as much. Mine seems like a nice gun.

flyboy015: said:
To be honest, I'm probably being generous with the group size (most likely less than 6 inches). I had also shot about 100 rounds through my PPS at varying distances before even touching the PPQ or the Canik, as range rules dictate that in order to rent a gun, you must bring at least one of your own, and as I like to practice regularly with the little PPS. Are these just excuses? Probably.

If you know how to post pictures of your targets then we can see what you’re talking about. I have a PPS-M2 and I love the way that it shoots, but I shoot it fairly frequently. The targets don’t lie, I can shoot decent groups on targets if I do my part and if I get out to practice at the range on a regular basis.

attachment.php

OP I had a similar experience few years ago... bought a USED PPQ M2 in 40S&W from Cabelas, and immediately took it into the woods and put some rounds through it at a piece of standard 8x11 notebook paper I stuck on a rock about 25 ft away. Wanted to make sure the thing fed ammo etc, being it was used. Was very disappointed at how inaccurate it seemed to be shooting. Did I buy a dog? A PPQ that was a lemon somebody pawned off and I was the sucker this time? BUT... didn't give up on it right then, I calmed down and took it to the range the next day, and after realizing that this 40 did have more flip than some others, I took that into consideration holding the gun, and concentrating on what I was doing, unlike my initial quick and dirty testing in the woods. I did much better. The gun was fine, it was ME (it usually is "us" of course). The PPQ fits great... ergonomics was one of the reasons I bought it in the first place. So conclusion: The PPQ M2 in 40 takes a little getting used to, that's all. Not my favorite to take to the range, but I'm glad I bought it.

Attachments

• ppq 40.jpg
    ppq 40.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 87
Short trigger and short reset is exactly why I traded away a PPQ recently. I'm not carrying a trigger that is that good! I think that's fine on the range, but I'll stick with the slightly less than ideal triggers on my Mod 2 and CZ PCR for carry.

Short trigger and short reset is exactly why I traded away a PPQ recently. I'm not carrying a trigger that is that good! I think that's fine on the range, but I'll stick with the slightly less than ideal triggers on my Mod 2 and CZ PCR for carry.
I had a Mod.2 for about a year. The trigger isn't much lighter than the Walther's, just a bit longer and mushier. I can't imagine the difference could in any way serve as insurance against an ND. The CZ DA trigger adds a lot of resistance. What is it about the Mod.2 trigger that makes you consider it "safer to carry" than the PPQ?

Back