Any S&W .38 Airweights with high mileage out there?

I have no chrony so I was going by various reload data, and have no credible data. Just guesswork from what I read with no consideration given to the short barrel length, to keep things on the safe side.

I did try five different FBI loads, one factory and four reloads:
Remington HTP 158gr LHP advertised at 890fps
231/4.3gr
HP-38/4.3gr
Unique/5.2gr
Power Pistol/5.5gr

Going by kick/recoil, the Unique/5.2gr load was definitely the warmest. The other four all felt about the same.

Well, mine has approaching 7000 rounds through it. Almost all standard pressure military surplus 135 grain. I'm bet there's less than a hundred +P's through it. It did have to go back to S&W shy of 2500 rounds. Can't remember what broke, but it was an internal small piece. It's been good to go since then.

It is a 638-3 Airweight. I bought it new and it wasn't terribly tight right from the box, but I can't see that it has loosened since new. I never measured loosness, so my observation on how loose it was/is is somewhat subjective.

I think I have about 300 rounds through my 642, probably only 50 or so of +P, only issue I had was the ejector rod came loose, I tightened it up with a little drop of blue loctite.

My 642 is back at S&W for the second time, and has been fired less than 600 times. This time it has a broken hammer stud and they're replacing the whole thing, which for some reason ("paperwork") takes 2-3 months. I just danced to this tune with another company, and it just occurred to me that maybe these guns aren't meant to be fired.

Do any of you have S&W Airweights with a high round count?

I'm thinking real hard about just sticking with real steel revolvers for range toys.

Hundreds, all "FBI load" equivalent handloads or Remington 125 grain JHP.

I'm not worried about it. It it breaks I'll send it in, and use my steel Taurus 605 for a while. It's better for shooting anyway.

How much more wear does +P loads do to the J-frame models compared to standard pressure loads? Does 1 +P equal 2 standard pressure loads? Or does 1 +P equal 3 standard loads?

I don't know if anyone knows that for sure, Bricz.

Some even say todays +P ammo is loaded to the same level as yesterdays standard pressure stuff.

At this point, it's all angels dancing on the head of a pin.

Shoot the gun and if it goes out of time or the frame stretches, then you'll have your own personal answer.

Or just don't worry about it, train with your normal regimen, and keep and eye out for any problems. I think you'll find the gun will last a good long time, a good long time, especially with a quality gun like a Smith & Wesson.

How much more wear does +P loads do to the J-frame models compared to standard pressure loads? Does 1 +P equal 2 standard pressure loads? Or does 1 +P equal 3 standard loads?
I'm guessing it's more like 8 plus P loads equal 10 standard pressure loads. Maybe even 9 to 10. Of course, the other issue becomes at what point does a load begin to exceed the normal structural integrity of the frame and begin to ever-so-slightly stretch the top strap with every shot fired? It might take a while to show up but the effects are cumulative. A small reduction in pressure could vastly diminish those effects and vice versa.

I got it back early last week, and returned it again last Thursday. They replaced the frame. I checked the bore/cylinder gap and there was .005"-.006" DIFFERENCE between the left and right sides. About .011" on the left, and .005"-.0055" on the right. I've never seen anything anywhere close to being like that in my life. What is with these people? I can't believe they return stuff like this.

Back to the broken hammer stud, which is why it was returned the second time. I think it was broken all along. Ever since I got it it always had a gritty/scratchy feeling trigger pull. On 8/31/15, right after I got it, I even started a thread asking about oiling the 642 and similar guns.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566590&highlight=hide+hammer

There was never a definite moment when all of a sudden the trigger/hammer felt all out of whack or different. It always felt the same, consistent, but scratchy and gritty. I removed the side plate to see if it looked lubed inside, and that's when I discovered the stud was detached from the frame.

When it came back last week the gritty/scratchy feel was gone. I really think it was broken from the git-go.

I've got a 642-1 that I've carried for ~11 years now, but so far only have about 600 rounds through it, probably ~300 of which are +P. I know this isn't alot, but no problems of any sort yet. At least it is another data point.

I have Model 37 3" that I bought new in 1972. I know I have over 2000 rounds down the pipe with no issues. My Model 38 has no more than 500 rounds. No complaints.

I'm guessing it's more like 8 plus P loads equal 10 standard pressure loads. Maybe even 9 to 10. Of course, the other issue becomes at what point does a load begin to exceed the normal structural integrity of the frame and begin to ever-so-slightly stretch the top strap with every shot fired? It might take a while to show up but the effects are cumulative. A small reduction in pressure could vastly diminish those effects and vice versa.

8 plus P loads equaling 10 standard pressure loads isn't bad at all. I wouldn't be interested in running anything hotter than the "Chicago" load. Luckygunner did some experiments. Through a 2" barrel the velocities for 3 different manufacturers pushing a 158 grain SWCHP are 794, 802, and 750 fps.

Or just don't worry about it, train with your normal regimen, and keep and eye out for any problems. I think you'll find the gun will last a good long time, a good long time, especially with a quality gun like a Smith & Wesson.

Older S&W K-frame Airweights (like the Model 12) came with an admonition in the owner's manual specifically warning against using +P ammunition in the revolver. Ever. My guess is you could get away with firing a few rounds or a few hundred rounds or so of +P stuff but why chance it?

Back