Any reasons NOT to clean a 1911?

Any reasons NOT to clean a 1911?

I figure if I made the time to shoot it I can make the time to clean it. My average session is 100 rounds or so and yes, I clean them. The take down of a 1911 is quick and simple enough (field strip).

That said the clean or not clean of all guns can get specific and has always had two camps. Do whatever seems to work for you.

Ron

When I used to shoot a lot, I would only clean my 1911 when it started slopping black gunk on me. I had a dunk bucket filled with Ed's Red (without lanolin) that I would toss my 1911 in, sans grips. Soak, brush, drain, Qtip down the extractor hole. I never detail stripped that pistol.

With in a day or two of a range trip I will field strip, bore snake, spray stuff, put a toothbrush to it, and blow excess off with the air compressor. Seems to work well.

….and don’t put oil where it’s not supposed to go. I’ve had to learn that there’s a lot of places where you would think you need to put oil, but you don’t put oil there.

Too much oil can definitely be a bad thing. A friend of mine bought a HK USP .45. He complained that it wasn't reliable. I told him I could take a look at it. When he brought it to me there was literally Hoppe's 9 oil running out of it. I stripped it, wiped it dry with paper towels, put it back together and fired 200 rounds through it without malfunction. (oh I miss the days when I could find/afford to shoot 200 rounds of .45 ACP to simply function test a gun that wasn't even mine)

I took it back to him and told him what I did. I asked why he had put so much oil into it. He told me that his brother's cousin's boyfriend's nephew had been in the Army and told him that "guns should be run wet." Well he had certainly got that thing wet.

Over lubrication can cause problems just like a lack of lubrication. It only takes a few drops of oil in the right places.

oh I miss the days when I could find/afford to shoot 200 rounds of .45 ACP to simply function test a gun that wasn't even mine

Got that right. I'm pretty sure we all share your sentiments.

He told me that his brother's cousin's boyfriend's nephew had been in the Army and told him that "guns should be run wet."
:D

There's just something insanely human about the way we assign credibility.

Revolvers get bore cleaned with the cylinder, semi's get barrel and breech face cleaned and a swipe of "super-lube" on the rails.

Once a year total detailing and lubing.

Back