any reason i shouldn't

I use Remington #10 caps on my Pietta Remington 1858. I'd venture to guess that the nipples are the same size. I use them because other sizes don't fit on my Ruger. The Pietta's aren't quite as tight so maybe another size/brand may also work well.

The nipples I bought for my Ruger state they are sized for CCI #11 (standard non magnum) caps, but I can't find that size. The Remington #11's are too big and need to be pinched, and the CCI #11 mags are a little too small and often need to be struck twice.

Triple 7 may be what you'll want. Pyrodex residue is somewhat gooey to me. I greatly dislike it. There's another substitute or two that I haven't tried as I prefer Triple 7 or Olde Eynsford (real black powder).

Ok guys. Thanks. Hopefully it'll still be on sale next week and I can get it by valentines day. I will let you know and come back for tips. Om sure ill have lots of questions

I was looking at that same gun before the first of the year and Midway was cheaper than Cabelas. I decided against buying it, but you might look at Midway and see if they still have it.

I'm all for the advice of getting a steel frame revolver - either 36 or 44. I've stuck to Navies - Colt and Remington 36s just because I like the feel, the caliber and the recoil is similar to my light 38 spl. loads.

If she is set on a "fu fu" revolver - perhaps you could compromise. A good steel frame of 36 or 44 - you have choices of '51, "61 and Remington in variety of barrel lengths or a '60 Army or '58 NMA - then dress it up with a nice set of ivory style grips - maybe scrimshawed with her name or initials or such?

Since you cast and reload - another option is to go with one of the Richards and Mason conversions or a 1872 "open top" or even a Cattleman style 1873. I reload a lot of 38 Colt Short & Long and 38 Spl. in both smokeless and BP. Again, dress it up with a nice set of customized grips and walla! A customized revolver that is strictly "hers" - add a nice set of custom leather and she's all set to go!

I looked at the conversion. pretty awesome, but I am absolutely not going to spend that kind of dough on something that will only get used a couple times a year. when the time comes that I am ready for a BP for MYSELF, then money will be no object. not that I am mean or anything, just that she wouldn't know the difference between a 10,000 dollar gun and a 200$ gun, which is good......I can keep telling her that all my guns cost me a couple hundred bucks a piece.;)

just to get a perspective, we have a good collection of rifles and a few handguns....this is her favorite and in her opinion, probably the greatest gun on earth

I'm against brass frames, though I do keep eyeing a Spiller & Burr pistol, as I like to hunt and won't be handicapped by light charges if I want it to last. And though I don't care for the gun in question it's only she who must like it. If it's what she wants and will get het to the range with you more often then so be it.

Quote:

"no one is going to be taking this gun very seriously, it's just a toy, and will be played with as such."

skizzums,

Please don't take this the wrong way but, that statement troubles me a bit.

Safety should be first and foremost with any firearm.

I hope I am not coming off too prudish.

Best wishes with your BP firearm purchase.

Seems like a cheap price to keep Momma happy. Just be aware that the plating is gonna get discolored from firing. FFF black powder is the way to go. The black powder substitutes are a passing fad, just like those new fangled cartridges.:D

Back