Any pocket pistol advice?

Carrying a gun backwards requires you to sweep your body with the muzzle when drawing.
In the way I described no more than any other way. From the small of the back position, which you still haven't given any particulars about why you think is dangerious, the gun id lifted from the IWB position, parallel to the body, swept down toward the ground, brought around the body still pointing at the ground, and lifted to the target. NOWHERE in the draw does it sweep your body. That is THE reason for the clip on the left for a right handed shooter. Without the gun being in what you call backwards, when the gun is lifted the muzzle is naturally pointed at your back.

I'll tell you again- SOB carry can cripple you for life if you fall or are otherwise forced to land on your back.
Police officers are not allowed to carry handcuffs there precisely because of this possibility. It has happened. If you fall, you don't want ANYTHING in the small of your back!
It's your back. It's the only one you have.
The natural movement when quickly drawing from a backwards-grip SOB position causes you to sweep your body. It's the quickest, most natural way to get the gun into position.
I guess rigorous training could avert this, but people who carry this way don't rigorously train. If they were that interested in tactics, they would carry in a conventional way. Again-there are reasons that professionals do the things they do.

Bill is correct. It is also the case that the draw from the small of the back is slower and easily blocked in close quarters. Harder to draw into a quick retention position. Harder to clear concealment garments.

Done this is class , obviously not with a loaded gun.

well I went and done did it, I got a Beretta bobcat .22lr. bigger than my LWS32, fatter grip is the biggest difference.

this gun is just for fun though and not a substitute for my LWS32.

Not sure where the "cripple for life" comes in. Still no evidence, or explanation. But I doubt they ever come. As to the "natural" movement, if I have a belt clip on the right side drawing the gun is difficult, and very unnatural for me, and maybe that is the difference. Believe me, I have trised both, observed both, and have had people observive both. With the clip on the left side my natural draw raises tye gun parralel to my bodt with the muzzle pointing at the ground, it stays pointed at the ground as I bring it around to the front, and never sweeps anything but ground until it is raised to the target.
That all being said, most often as either a BUG, or sometimes only carry I have a LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis in my right front pocket. There are however times that even more concealment is needed, and the little P22 with the belt clip fits that need.
I would really like to see actual acvounts of SOB carry being "universally known" as dangerious. I did a few searches s, and found very little to substantiate it. I did find however lots of holsters from all mannor manufacturers expressly for the purpose. Seems in today's erra of l itigation if it were so "universally known" the holster m know .iakers wouldt, and avoid offering tye holsters at all.

Cheapshooter-

Let me ask you a question: Why would I tell you these things? :confused:

The answer is because I saw you doing, and promoting, something that is known to be unsafe. :eek: That's the only reason. You have been around long enough to know that I don't usually post unless I know what I'm talking about.

I have explained my position. I have no need to prove myself. If you are really interested, do your own research and come to your own conclusion. I am trying to help you, not argue with you.

I have done research, and came up with very little other than speculation about a bakward fall damaging the spine. Something I see possible in a perfect storm situation. Thin bidy, landing in just the right position, with just the right force. Particularly with a much larger gun than the tiny Kel-Tec P22. I have carried various tools in various positions including in the center of my back. As have many others working in my field. I have had a few falls, I have seen a few falls, but I have never, in over 40 years seen a serious spinal injury caused by a hammer, tape measure, or other tool carried around anyone's back. Not that it can't happen. Just that it is much less likely than the sure thing that the few I have seen discussing the issue seem to think is the case. Most of whom were talking about carrying something much larger like a 1911.
Not promoting the method of carry, just mentioning it as an option which I find viable, and usefull at certain times for me.

the reason I don't SOB carry is not fear of the almost negligible chance of falling the way needed to cause spinal injury because of a gun in that location, but rather the almost impossible weapon retention position issue and too easily discovered by accidental bumping or unrealized printing.

A little questioning in law enforcement circles found some interesting things.

They don't allow SOB but have allowed handcuff cases in the SOB but it was problematic. They have had folks who fell on them and got hurt. Such incidents don't make Google. They are more likely to roll around than the average civilian. Also, sitting with those caused back pain in many.

Last, we know that NDs are common in reholstering. Reholstering towards your spine, esp. for those who have not practiced this or have eyes in the back of their heads is dangerous. It's like AIWB, just saw a novice who killed himself doing that.

Pain, injury, slow draw, reholstering, retention, sweeping others - that probably summarizes why it is a good idea not to use a SOB.

I dumped my motor cycle in July on gravel. I was going between 15 and 20 as I knew road and the gravel was their . But it happened . I went down lower back 4 cracked vertebrates 2 fractured in neck Concussion and road rash of course. My 1911 was at 8:30 L handed IWB If been at 6 o clock those 4 cracked could been lot worst. Bike slid around 15 ' I went around 10 ' . No way I ever carry 6 o clock I have watched people at 6 o clock hang up on a chair in restaurant It will expose easy and you will never know it .

here is a side by side pic for the pocket carriers.

.22lr v. .32acp

here the difference doesn't look as bad.

here is the most noticeable difference to me.

I never got any details other than the keys set off the gun he was carrying in his pocket. Obviously the trigger guard exposed and no safety. Or, safety not engaged. But I never learned what kind of pocket carry, make, caliber, etc. I found it stupid and didn't think it warranted much consideration. As you said, "not qualified."

One of the guys I work with just got his CCW he swears it'd be perfectly acceptable to carry my ruger lcp with one in the chamber in my pocket with no holster. No amount of there is no safety I'd end up shooting myself in the ****, it has to be in holster that fully covers the trigger, would convince him. He goes it'll be fine just don't put anything else in your pocket. :eek: Lets all hope he doesn't get a pocket pistol.

One of the guys I work with just got his CCW he swears it'd be perfectly acceptable to carry my ruger lcp with one in the chamber in my pocket with no holster. No amount of there is no safety I'd end up shooting myself in the ****, it has to be in holster that fully covers the trigger, would convince him. He goes it'll be fine just don't put anything else in your pocket. :eek: Lets all hope he doesn't get a pocket pistol.

Including his hand.... Remind him never to put his hand in there.

Old Blue- Your friend is correct. :eek:
If you prefer a pocket holster, that's fine. I have carried a Keltec in my pocket with no holster for 16 years-other guns before that.
A double action-only gun is safe in your pocket. As your friend told you-never, ever put anything else in that pocket.

Spot
On with Bill here on pocket carry,DeSantis Nememisis in particular.15-20 yrs.of safe ,flawless,proformance.

What Laser will fit my Beretta Pico 380???

Dose anyone know where I can buy a laser for my Beretta Pico
Laser Max/ or anything that will fit?
Thanks

Back