Any one know anything about the aa12???

Show me that the recoil systems are the exact same, please. I still can't find where that is documented. If you are right, great! Still I would like to see the documentation.

Last edited:
The Auto Assault-12 (AA-12) (originally designed and known as the Atchisson Assault Shotgun) is a shotgun developed in 1972 by Maxwell Atchisson ... The original design was the basis of several later weapons, including the USAS-12 combat shotgun. 1

The history of the USAS-12 shotgun dates from the 1980's vintage designs of Maxwell Atchisson 2...broadly based on principles employed in Atchisson shotguns.3

USAS-12 ... uses a gas system located above the barrel, with more or less conventional rotating bolt locking. The interesting feature, borrowed from Atchisson designs, is the long bolt overtravel, which results in relatively low peak recoil and low rate of fire ... 4

I don't know if you've seen a stripped AA-12, but it you have, you can't miss the long recoil spring. If you look at a stripped USAS-12 you'll see the same system; a long recoil spring used in the same manner for the same purpose.
USAS-12withKit.jpg

Now, again how does the AA-12 have superior recoil dampening qualities compared to the USAS-12?

The AA-12 is superior... in that it is simpler, lighter and less expensive to manufacture. Aside from that any superiority of the arm itself is debatable.

1 wikipedia
2 wikipedia
3 ibid
4 WorldGuns.ru

Last edited:
Now, again how does the AA-12 have superior recoil dampening qualities compared to the USAS-12?
Dude, I already said that if you can show that they have the same recoil system then great, but just asked for documentation of it. I am willing to concede the point with a little proof, but you keep presenting very limited and USAS-12 biased insights without corresponding AA12 insights.

The pic of the USAS-12 is pretty, but not comparative. Wiki is fine, but very limited in actual information. It just says the USAS-12 was developed from the AA12 (actually, from the early version), but not that they have the exact same mechanics as you claim. Your last link didn't work at all.

The pic of the USAS-12 is pretty, but not comparative.
As in most debates, I provide the facts for my side of the equation, I thought you would be the one to prove the facts for the other half. To someone who's familiar with the AA-12, such as yourself, I thought the similarity would be immediately obvious.

Wiki is fine, but very limited in actual information.
Unless you are claiming that the USAS-12 was developed from the early version of the Atchisson Assault shotgun, which then was completely redesigned and went on to use a completely different system in the AA-12, I fail to follow your logic. Most people would see that a comparison was made between the two to establish commonality not difference, as no differences were mentioned.

The AA12 has the constant recoil reduction system that keeps the bolt from bottoming out, all but eliminating felt recoil

It's been pointed out by two people who actually own USAS-12's that the USAS employs the same method. How "exactly the same" do you want?
Must both employ the same gauge of steel for the coils?
Must both use the same number of coils in the springs?
Must the length of both springs be the same length, is 1/2" difference significant enough to not be "exactly the same"?

Since you have watched videos and read the reviews, would you tell us how they differ?
I only have first-hand experience with the one, so I would be quite curious.

My apologies if I sound confrontational, but you made a statement that you have yet to provide any citation for and have yet to even attempt to back up.

Last edited:
Hey Skans...you know what really bugs me? There's just enough difference where the pistol grip attaches to the receiver that using a Magpul MIAD grip is a no-go, and the folding trigger guard is just a tad longer than an AR's so you can't put a Magpul trigger guard can't be used either. I guess no one was looking 10 years into the future back in the 20th century.

I really do love the USAS-12 - reliable and fun as heck to shoot. What bugs me is that they could have, but didn't design it to be able to use a registered DIAS or lightning link. I could have afforded one of those things many years ago and probably would have bought one for it. Looks like an AR15 lower.....but it's not.:(

Back